Quantcast

LA and the climate...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
well I've lived in So Cal most of my life and I don't have asthma so I conclude that nobody in california has problems with asthma. :)

Actually I know a few people who have moved out to the socal deserts for that reason, and alergy problems. I'm not too sure that the LA basin would be better or worse than anywhere else.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I had childhood asthma and I lived right next to a freeway...and I had asthma attacks all the time during the summer. But now I'm 25 and I've had maybe 3 attacks since 2nd grade...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You could go roast your ass off in Palm Springs, too...

I was stationed in 29 Palms for 3 years. Nothing like 115 degrees, no humidity, and no significant plant life to make for some nice, crisp air...

Actually, the weather's really not that bad and the desert is kind of cool in a way...personally, however, I prefer living at the beach in San Diego.

MD

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Originally posted by genpowell71
or out west on Pomona/San bernadino area...
:dead:

Choke choke, can you say SMOG!? San Fernando is a lot better, still not great though.

Check out Ventura, Oxnard (speak Spanish?) or Camarillo for cool, clean air year 'round.

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
I was actually thinking about living in Northern LA maybe San fernando, or out west on Pomona/San bernadino area...
if it's not near the coast line, it's gonna suck ass. you're gonna be thinking about how much the air sucks ass here for a while. but you'll get over it, eventually. i lived near six flags magic mountain, the santa clarita valley, for 10 years up until high school, and the air really never bothered me too much, as a matter of fact, i just thought it was normal. then i moved to SD for school, and now i will never ever want to live in that valley again, ever. did i say never?

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by ibismojo if it's not near the coast line, it's gonna suck ass..
That's pretty much true.

But again, it's $$$$$$$$

Finding lower cost rent/mortage will become the primary concern once you start looking around.

Also traffic, I'd suggest finding a place as close to work as possible and ride a bike to work every day :)

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
Well, the air is ok, I guess. Hows the temperature during the summer? I know it gets hot, but is it like the east coast where you get the humidity and the heat, or is it a dry heat?
i think it's worse. you get a bit of both, plus the cake, f'in smog.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Anymore what is the greater LA basin is noting but ghettos or the uber high priced, gotta be a rock star, neighborhoods. Same is true for the San bernardino area although redlads and yuciapa still maintain some level of dignity. If I were looking for a place to live and commuting distance wasn't an issue I'd consider temecula/lake elsinore. Other than that San Diego county is nice if you can afford it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Anymore what is the greater LA basin is noting but ghettos or the uber high priced, gotta be a rock star, neighborhoods. Same is true for the San bernardino area although redlads and yuciapa still maintain some level of dignity. If I were looking for a place to live and commuting distance wasn't an issue I'd consider temecula/lake elsinore. Other than that San Diego county is nice if you can afford it.
Now that's not entirely true. There are some very nice areas along the foothills and mountains. You don't have to go to BFE Temecula or Lake Elsinore to find affordable places to live. Whittier and Pasadena both have apartments that the average person can afford in nice areas and they are in cities that are along the foothills so riding is plentiful. if you are looking in L.A. proper or the hollywood area, then yeah, it's either ghetto or rockstar. The San Fernando valley is hot and smoggy. blech!

As for San Diego, it's waaay more expensive than anywhere in L.A. / O.C. And I used to live in Lakeside which is not too far from Alpine. That experience taught me one thing... East S.D. County is NOT San Diego. The city is nice (but expensive), east county is pretty much like temecula/riverside/et. al.

Ciaran...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you drive out of your way to go to a wal-mart on the other end of town because the one closest to you smells funny you live in southern california.

East county SD isn't too bad, if you don't mind redneck neighbors who suprisingly can afford their BMW. Of course downtown isn't too bad if you don't mind living in a shoebox size house for the cost of a midwestern cattle ranch. I guess that my experience is that East County SD has less ghettoness between my home and where I work and shop than the typical LA suburb, plus if I head farther east I run into endless desert as you would if you lived in Temecula, head east of LA and you end up in the Inland Empire ghettos. Anywere in SoCal is going to have more ghetto than say Salt Lake City but certain areas have a higher concentration of ghetto than others.

So you have to ask yourself do you want to live in a nice town surrounded by poop or do you want to live in a marginally nice town surrounded by other marginally nice towns, there really isn't any place in SoCal that's like silicone valley, that's why it's called SoCal not Silicone Valley. Or you could try Running Springs, Big Bear, Arrowhead, Wrightwood, or one of the other little mountain communites, they're nice but pretty limited as far as work goes.