Quantcast

Laguna Seca 24 hour race

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
I'm considering doingmy first solo 24 race at laguna seca in may. Couple questions..

Is it the same course as sea otter?

I've done teams before but never a solo, I'm wondering what type of weekly mileage other solo riders are doing. I'm usually around 250 or so,primarily on the road w/ 1-2 mtb rides.

Do solo riders get any special perks when it comes to light charging?

thanks

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I don't know for sure about the course, though I would doubt they would use the same course, it's 18 miles and that's a bit long for a 24 hour course. They will probably do some variation of it. Tammy should be able to fill you in on "special lighting perks" and give you an idea of training miles. For my 100 mile endurance races I do 2 nights a week of 60+ road miles, then one weekend day with 50 miles MTB, and one road day with 85-100 miles.

Good luck

spokedwheel

Chimp
Mar 16, 2002
Oceanside, CA
Originally posted by Heidi
I don't know for sure about the course, though I would doubt they would use the same course, it's 18 miles and that's a bit long for a 24 hour course. They will probably do some variation of it. Tammy should be able to fill you in on "special lighting perks" and give you an idea of training miles. For my 100 mile endurance races I do 2 nights a week of 60+ road miles, then one weekend day with 50 miles MTB, and one road day with 85-100 miles.

Good luck
I'm getting the road mileage in but I need to increase my mtb mileage. I've been doing some 30-40 milers, but with ALOT of climbing.

I've also decided to get a fullsuspension sled as my main bike for the 24 hour race. I can do 36 miles on my 21 lb hardtail, but I would rather lug around a 25lb f/s for the extra comfort.

What kind of food do you eat? on 6 hour rides I usually eat pb&j, bannanas, oranges, waffles, pasta. Also an assortment ofenergy bars, gels and fluids. Should I try to throw some more protein in there?

thanks

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Some people actually take both a HT and a FS bike. I ahve seen people ride the HT during the day, and the FS at night when they need the extra cushion to absorb some of their mistakes from lack of light. Just a thought...

When I train for endurance events, I do MOST of my training on the road because it beats you up less. I only do one day on the dirt, lots of climbing because that's all we have in So Cal is climbing.

As for the food, it sounds like you're pretty much right on what I eat. I usually bring some trail mix with almonds too. I use honey on my PB sandwiches instead of jelly though. As for protein, I don't eat much extra protein during my rides (other then what's in my bars and almonds), I eat protein rich foods after my rides.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Not sure if you're familiar with the names on the course out there but basically it's 10 miles. You leave the Laguna Seca area then head into a loop of Couch Canyon (same as Sea Otter) up and outta there via Hurl Hill and then onto Skyline (fireroad) for maybe 1 mile then into a single track which is called Outhouse trail then a hard left into Ewok trail which dumps you out onto Pilarcitos Rd. which is also the same grind that the Sea Otter uses to get riders back up to the race track. I'm trying to get a coed team registered this weekend so hopefully I'll run into you out there come May 18th. Good luck btw.

Yeti_Rider

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego, CA
The course is not exactly the same as the Sea Otter, but it starts and finishes the same. You will not start, and will never actually enter the Laguna Seca Racetrack as you do at the Sea Otter, but rather you start in the infield area and have to run across the bridge at the start and finish of each lap. You then head out towards where the dual slolom course was before doing a short little climb. You meander around near the road for a few minutes before heading out onto the singletrack that you did in teh Sea Otter. You stay on this trail, go up hurl hill, and then when you hit the fast fire road downhill you head left instead of right. This is the where the two courses diverge. You stay ont he fire road for a bit and then peel off onto another single track. This is about a mile long where you finally come out onto the fast turny singletrack that the Sea Otter uses right before you end up on the fireroad leading to the long road home. GO up the grind, cross the spectator bridge, head down the dual slolom hill, and back across the bridge to the finish.

Each lap is 10 miles in length whereas the Sea Otter course is 18 miles.

I know the directions are a bit confusing, but if you can remember the Otter course, you should know most of the landmarks.

Michael

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Yeti_Rider
Yep, run up one side, and ride down the other. Then do it in reverse on the return leg.

Michael
Dude, I've been through that tunnel/bridge, and that sounds dangerous. Cool!

Yeti_Rider

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego, CA
Just so we know we're talking about the same bridge, the one you go up and over is the one that is right at the start/finish of the actual Laguna Seca track. Very similiar to the Firestone bridge down by the Skip Barber racing school.

It is very fun at 3 AM! Going out it's no sweat, but on the return leg you have to turn 90 degrees on a landing halfway down as the stairs take a sharp left! To add to the excitement, the finishing riders have the inside lane while the starting riders have the outside lane and the inside lane is a sharp 180 degree turn immediately after descending the stairs! A few people blew it last year.

Are you racing there this year?

Michael

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Yeti_Rider
Just so we know we're talking about the same bridge, the one you go up and over is the one that is right at the start/finish of the actual Laguna Seca track. Very similiar to the Firestone bridge down by the Skip Barber racing school.

It is very fun at 3 AM! Going out it's no sweat, but on the return leg you have to turn 90 degrees on a landing halfway down as the stairs take a sharp left! To add to the excitement, the finishing riders have the inside lane while the starting riders have the outside lane and the inside lane is a sharp 180 degree turn immediately after descending the stairs! A few people blew it last year.

Are you racing there this year?

Michael
Oh, I was talking about the one at the top of the hill that crosses over the raceway.

I now know the one you're talking about, that's nice and wide...no problems then. :(

I don't think I'm gonna race that one this year, though it would be extremelly fun!

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Got my team registered about 2 weeks ago and arranged for campsite last night. I'm on a co-ed 5 person team called Team Pedagog. Yeti you gonna be there? Spokedwheel I'll try to cheer for you during my down time. Maybe I'll see you at the captain's meeting on Saturday morning. I'll be pre-riding the course the next few weekends with my teammates. PM me if you want to come along. Gonna do a practice night ride as the event gets closer too and you're welcomed to join in on that as well.

Yeti_Rider

Chimp
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego, CA
Yep, I'll be there with 4 of my buds.

This will be our fourth event together. We got 9th place in the 5 man open last year in Idyllwild (2 seconds behind 8th so I consider it a tie!) and got 15th or so last year in Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca doesn't favor our riding style as it's mostly just a fast roadie friendly course and we're a better technical riding bunch so we do better in Idyllwild.

I think the name of our team is "The Fabulous Five" although thers' been some discussion of changing it.

Just remember, at 3 AM when you're thinking that this was about the dumbest idea you ever had in your life that you're really having fun!

Maybe we'll see you up there.

Michael