Quantcast

Lance has a new TT bike...

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I noticed that in a pic on Velonews. TTX? Looks like a lower-profile downtube and some other slight mods. Pretty sweet.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
dirtjumpP.1 said:
you dont have to lie... we know *it* is lance... ;)
And have him call me Sheryl in the middle of it?!? I'm not ready for that kind of anguish.
Speaking of Lance, isn't his final ascent of Mont Ventoux tomorrow (Thurs)? I'm thinking he's going to give'r on that one since he's never won a stage of any kind on that mountain.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
DBR X6 RIDER said:
And have him call me Sheryl in the middle of it?!? I'm not ready for that kind of anguish.
Speaking of Lance, isn't his final ascent of Mont Ventoux tomorrow (Thurs)? I'm thinking he's going to give'r on that one since he's never won a stage of any kind on that mountain.
2002:
1 Richard Virenque (Fra) Domo-Farm Frites 5.43.26 (38.61 km/h)
2 Alexandre Botcharov (Rus) Ag2R Prevoyance 1.58
3 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service 2.20
Lance gains 1'46" on nearest GC competitor

2000:
1 Marco Pantani (Ita) Mercatone Uno-Albacom 4.15.11 (35.03 km/h)
2 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal Service s.t.
3 Joseba Beloki (Spa) Festina 0.25
Lance gains 41" on nearest GC competitor

Lance lets Pantini win Ventoux in 2000 as a gesture of respect, and he put almost 2 minutes in GC in 2002. He might win Ventoux, but it has never been a priority.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Don't forget the individual TT from last year's Dauphine Libre which he lost rather handily. I'm sure that he would like to do something on that mountain tomorrow to both rid himself of that particular day and to also serve notice to his July riding buddies.
Besides, anybody that considers themselves a climber MUST want to win on Ventoux (even if it's not during the TdF). It's one of the all-time epic climbs in pro cycling.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I would be exceptionally surprised if Lance really tries to win on Ventoux. I think that he is going to give it a measured effort to gauge his fitness for the tour. Winning in June doesn't always translate to success in July. Look no farther than Mayo last year. In all honestly I'm not sure I wouldn't be surprised to see him "struggle" on the climb.

If the Ventoux was in the Tour, I would fully expect him to give it 100% effort to win but even then it would only be in the context of winning the tour.

As for having to win the Ventoux to be considered a climber.... that's crap. Anyone that questions Lance's climbing credentials needs to have their head examined.