Quantcast

laptop memory

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i just put in two PC2-5300 1gb modules in my Dell Latitude and finding that the software im using to edit video requires 3gb for a 32bit OS...(using XP Pro)
im under the assumption i can replace one of the 1gb modules with a 2gb module with no issue right? id rather not buy another two modules when i really only need 1
i ask because usually most new configurations i see are 2 or 4gb, not 3.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes, you can mix and match PC2, but you won't get dual channel mode if the laptop supports it.
according to Crucial, my system does support it(forgot to add that they are DDR2 PC2-5300 modules)
im curious as to why it wouldnt support it if the new module is also a DDR2. would i have to install matching pairs of the 2-gb DDR2 PC2-5300 modules?

and im assuming i do want to keep the dual channel capability right?

edit: would i also be able to use DDR2 PC6400 chips?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dual channel only works with matched pairs.

You can use any speed you want, it'll run at the max speed of the motherboard if the memory is faster than the mobo supports.

Dual channel speeds up the memory access but for video editing and such, often quantity is more important than speed.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if i got just the one 2gb module would that make a big enough difference over the 2gb's i have? or should i just suck it up and get a total of 4?

NewEgg has the modules cheaper than Crucial along w/ free shipping...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220229

edit: what other good editing software is out there that handles mpeg4's?
double edit: im just going to convert mpg4 vids to wmv for nor and use WMM. which software do you like?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
3gb is probably fine especially with XP. If you game, consider just going to 4 to keep your dual channel.

I know squat about video editing software, sorry.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
used Any Video Converter and also Real's converter with good results. now Windows Movie Maker doesnt have a high resolution output which sucks. the Cyberlink software ive been using for years of course doesnt support MPEG4's and the new trial version i tried just expired.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
according to Crucial, my system does support it(forgot to add that they are DDR2 PC2-5300 modules)
im curious as to why it wouldnt support it if the new module is also a DDR2. would i have to install matching pairs of the 2-gb DDR2 PC2-5300 modules?

and im assuming i do want to keep the dual channel capability right?

edit: would i also be able to use DDR2 PC6400 chips?
From personal experience I wouldn't trust Crucial's scanning tool to correctly identify what type of RAM you need. Double check the manufacturer's specs, thank goodness for Amazon's no fault returns. Other than that listen to BV, he's like the emir of geeks, he even has little geeks orbiting him!

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
From personal experience I wouldn't trust Crucial's scanning tool to correctly identify what type of RAM you need. Double check the manufacturer's specs, thank goodness for Amazon's no fault returns. Other than that listen to BV, he's like the emir of geeks, he even has little geeks orbiting him!
thanks for the input.
i did just buy 2-1gb modules from them before i started getting into editing MPEG4 files, so i know the type of RAM is correct.

thankfully, i didnt need to have them scan my laptop since the model was in their database, but for my custom desktop, it thankfully got the right info for that one as well.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
thanks for the input.
i did just buy 2-1gb modules from them before i started getting into editing MPEG4 files, so i know the type of RAM is correct.

thankfully, i didnt need to have them scan my laptop since the model was in their database, but for my custom desktop, it thankfully got the right info for that one as well.
The RAM I got that was wrong was ironically a 2gb stick of what you want and briefly thought about offering it up for trade here before sending it back to Amazon. We were like ships in the night Rice!
I really needed DDR3 10600 for my netbook. Also needed to do a BIOS update before I could install it as well, that was a pain in the arse but I managed to figure it out.
Just out of interest mate how much are they asking for the 2gb sticks. (Edit-saw your link upthread) I found the DDR2 for US$35 on Amazon but the DDR3 was only $25 same brand. There's definitely a sweet spot of cost versus performance and you might be on the other side. Still I'd get two 2gb sticks and mark it down as a lesson learned.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The RAM I got that was wrong was ironically a 2gb stick of what you want and briefly thought about offering it up for trade here before sending it back to Amazon. We were like ships in the night Rice!
There's definitely a sweet spot of cost versus performance and you might be on the other side. Still I'd get two 2gb sticks and mark it down as a lesson learned.
thanks for the thought. :thumb:

i was originally looking at just getting 1-2gb stick(for 3gb total). but after seeing how the trial software versions work on my laptop w/ 2gb's total, i think it would be better just to get 4gb's total.
it originally was a cost issue (although its not a lot), since all the software im looking at cost b/w $50-80.
i tried WMM Live on my Vista computer, but the software is absolutely horrible and playback in the editor is choppy even with 4gb's of memory on a Vista computer.
the software i really like has a minimum requirement of 3gb's w/ a recommendation of 4.

all this to edit MPEG4. :mad: