Quantcast

last night's dinner

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
preheat oven to 425

halibut steak, pan-fried in oil for ~5-6 minutes on med-high heat. season w/ salt, pepper, and a combo of one star anise and coriander seeds (crushed in mortar w/ pestle) before putting skinside down into the hot oil.

sautee green beans w/ oil and fresh lemon juice

put the pan w/ the fish in the oven, cook for another 6-10 minutes (depending on thickness of the steak)

meanwhile, prepare a dressing for the fish. put the rest of the star anise/coriander mix in bowl, add some sliced garlic, chopped parsley, squeezed lemon, and olive oil. stir.

take the fish out, top w/ the parsley mix, and enjoy.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
sounds like a fine dinner. what libation was enjoyed?

I never have tried halibut (that I can remember). how is it? I see it all the time, but usually go for something else.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i had some william hill chard. not normally a white wine drinker, but the fish is light and a red would overpower it. the store didn't have much in the way of riesling selection or viognier, which would have been my 1st choice (haven't been drinking much if any sav blanc for a while).

halibut is awesome. probably my favorite fish, aside from maybe salmon or grouper (which i can't get up in the northeast). would much rather have halibut than cod, haddock, swordfish, tuna, etc. it's a pretty mild flavor fish w/ good mouth feel, if that makes sense (the texture has some good firmness to it, like chilean sea bass).

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
narlus said:
halibut is awesome. probably my favorite fish, aside from maybe salmon or grouper (which i can't get up in the northeast). would much rather have halibut than cod, haddock, swordfish, tuna, etc. it's a pretty mild flavor fish w/ good mouth feel, if that makes sense (the texture has some good firmness to it, like chilean sea bass).
:stupid: Halibut is yummy. Nice and meaty :thumb:

I'm not a fan of the checks though...the texture is a little weird to me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Last night we had baked chicken with feta, diced red pepper, and fresh parsley. Side was a tomato salad with feta, onion, basil, and parsley. Basil was fresh from the basil pot. First harvest. :thumb:

Drink was in the form of a Penfolds Chardonnay of some sort.

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
fresh basil is awesome. i wish my attempts at growing it weren't futile.
:think:

I'm pretty sure basil is the easiest thing on earth to grow....... besides pot. :p

I'll have to post some pics of my sunroom once we're rolling with the parsley, sage, basil, tomatoes (4-5 kinds), and peppers........

-S.S.-