Quantcast

last night's dinner

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Woooo, we had a doozy. First course was Pisco Sours, second was quinoa and manchego cheese stuffed peppers, third was a seafood salad, forth was braised beef cheeks (chicken for me), with purple potatoes, fifth course was coconut rice pudding with fresh mangoes. The theme was Peru. More wine and more pisco sours sprinkled throughout. DELISH

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
can you get the kids to eat shellfish?

scallops is the closest i can get, and that's only w/ the youngest one.
My daughter seems to love crab cakes, some fish and shrimp, but we haven't tried other shellfish much. I love scallops, crab and a few others and sq-earl will eat them but would much rather not eat anything from the sea.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Warm nights in SF are the exception, not the rule. Last night was exceptional, and my girl and I did it right with a rooftop meal of chilled NZ Sauv Blanc, oysters, and a build-it-yourself platter of wild salmon gravlax, crackers, bread, creme fraiche, cucumber, fennel, capers, onion, dill, lemon, and kumquat.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Jimmy John's #4 with peppers & onions added. :rant:

My lunches have been kicking ass lately though. (L & me's only time to have a meal together during the week)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
After a weekend of rock climbing, mountain biking, motorcycling, and general debauchery, I sat down at a local bar last night for an epic mixed grill: one each of a New York steak, a pork chop, and a banger (sausage), plus beans, veggies, and mashed taters. Pretty much three meals in one. I surprised myself and cleaned the friggin' plate. Holy crap it was GOOOOD.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
last night made coq au vin using a cooks illustrated recipe. totally awesome. i'll try to remember:

take a bottle of med-body red wine, put in a sauce pan w/ 2 cups of chicken broth, two sprigs of thyme, 10 sprigs of parsley, and a bay leaf. over a vigourous simmer, reduce to ~3 c (about 25 min). strain the herbs and set aside.

slice 4 pieces of thick-cut bacon into 1/4" strips cross-wise, brown in a dutch oven and remove, keeping bacon grease.

brown ~2.5# of boneless/skinless chicken thighs, ~3 min per side. cook in batches, and reserve chicken.

at med heat, put 3 tbps of butter in the dutch oven and when the foaming subsides, two dozen pearl onions (fresh or frozen, not from a jar) and 10 oz of quartered crimini mushrooms, stirring for 8 or so min. toss in two minced garlic cloves, 30 sec.

put in two tablespoon of flour and a tbps of tomato paste and mix well.

add the wine/broth mix, bring to a boil, add chicken and juices and bring to low heat. cover and cook for ~25 min, turning once.

boil some egg noodles

take out the chicken, increase heat, and reduce the broth slightly. add in a splash of red wine, and another two tbsp of butter. add the chicken back in, stir, serve over noodles w/ minced parsley.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Holy $hit I love coq au vin.
it is hard find a decent cock though. :think:

I have been on a soup kick lately....last night....
Roasted orange cauliflower & smoked applewod gouda soup with a heirloom tomatoes & pimentos from our garden. That & a salad of cress, baby arugula with more 'maters, humboldt fog chevre & balsamic was a tasty dinner.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
it is hard find a decent cock though. :think:
Naw - that's why it's braised... pretty much any tough old coq will do. :D

I have been on a soup kick lately....last night....
Roasted orange cauliflower & smoked applewod gouda soup with a heirloom tomatoes & pimentos from our garden. That & a salad of cress, baby arugula with more 'maters, humboldt fog chevre & balsamic was a tasty dinner.
Take it to the soup thread, n00B!! :mad: ;)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
for all i know this could be the tastiest cheese in the world, but it's also the most pretentiously named.
Californians...:rofl:

Easy one last night....Pasta with wilted baby arugula, garlic, feta & cherokee purple 'maters.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Only time she does that in the middle of the day is when she has the flu. :panic: :panic: :panic:
has the flu been going around yet?
something hit me like a ton of bricks last week. :mad:

Last night L made some baked cheesy pasta with broccoli & an egg in the middle.