Quantcast

Last weekend @ Big Bear before winter...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't forget I owe ya room money from last week...it's not my fault you drove away before I could pay you!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I might hit it up Sunday if anyone wants to make the drive...ncrider? Anyone from SD at all???

MD

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Orven, I'ld like to go but I am still without front brake. If you would be so kind to let me borrow or buy that hayes I'll be there tomorrow. If so PM me or please respond because I'm not drivin' up there brakeless.

R

Rabie

Pegboy said:
Orven, I'ld like to go but I am still without front brake. If you would be so kind to let me borrow or buy that hayes I'll be there tomorrow. If so PM me or please respond because I'm not drivin' up there brakeless.
You can use the front brake from my ht if you give me a ride up. Bring breakfast. A bagel and orange juice will be fine. No pulp.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Rabie said:
You can use the front brake from my ht if you give me a ride up. Bring breakfast. A bagel and orange juice will be fine. No pulp.
A bagel? You Jews are so predictable.

MD

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Cool, see ya up there. If your Heather want's to rant, have her call my Heather and ,hey, If they hit it off maybe they could be each others Heather.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Orven said:
anyone staying the night? tymmo?
I'm broke..
I'll stay over

Quote from Snow Summit

Hi,
Yes, the sky chair will be running! Please be advised the we have experienced erosion from the rains. Please use caution on the trails!
Thank you for your interest in Big Bear Mountain Resorts
Snow Summit and Bear Mountain
Check out our website at http://www.bigbearmountainresorts.com/ for all the current information on weather, events, ticket pricing and lesson info!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
MikeD said:
I might hit it up Sunday if anyone wants to make the drive...ncrider? Anyone from SD at all???

MD
MileD sunday sounds like a go. I'll try to get all my BS done today so that I'm clear for tomorrow. Let me know what time you wanna go. Are gonna bring the big bike or be a hard tail hero?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cool...what about I meet you in Encinitas around 7:30 or so, then we drive up together? I think I might bring the hardtail if I can get it running today. Fork's still in pieces and it needs the new brakes installed.

MD

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't mean to discourage anyone from going, but there's massive erosion on every trail.

Everything from from frozen concrete hard mud (with 4WD tire tracks in it) to soft slippery mud. Big ruts everywhere and some of the dirt is like quicksand... I actually bottomed out my Shiver trying to take off on a Summit jump. The base of the take-off was so soft, it swallowed my front wheel and then promptly threw my a$$ over the bars :mumble:

I had 3 runs this morning and called it a season.

Just be prepared and take it real slow on the first run till you know what you're dealing with.

BTW, nice socks Orven :blah:

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Slacker said:
I actually bottomed out my Shiver trying to take off on a Summit jump. The base of the take-off was so soft, it swallowed my front wheel and then promptly threw my a$$ over the bars :mumble:
I did the exact same thing but luckily didn't go over the bars. Just had the worse body shock in quite some time. The trails were in excellent condition today except for the ponds on Westridge.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Hmm, I don't know Slacker, I think sat. was the most fun I've had at BB all season. I'm not from So-Cal originally, but I thought the conditions were great. You could ride sections faster than ever and the bike would just plain hold. The only downside was listening to Rabie all the way there talk about how smart G.W. Bush is and how he plans to buy an escalade next year when he gets his big fat raise.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Pegboy said:
Hmm, I don't know Slacker, I think sat. was the most fun I've had at BB all season. I'm not from So-Cal originally, but I thought the conditions were great. You could ride sections faster than ever and the bike would just plain hold. The only downside was listening to Rabie all the way there talk about how smart G.W. Bush is and how he plans to buy an escalade next year when he gets his big fat raise.
My buddy had a really good time too. I'm probably just not skilled enough to enjoy it. It was too unpredictable for me, but you're right, there were some sections you could fly threw way faster.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
TYM said:
I did the exact same thing but luckily didn't go over the bars. Just had the worse body shock in quite some time. The trails were in excellent condition today except for the ponds on Westridge.

:eek: I heard about those ponds. Sounds like we got another storm rolling in early this week.

R

Rabie

Pegboy said:
The only downside was listening to Rabie all the way there talk about how smart G.W. Bush is and how he plans to buy an escalade next year when he gets his big fat raise.
Once my paycheck can finance my sense of entitlement, I will have achieved the American Dream. Why must you hate my freedom?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Slacker said:
BTW, nice socks Orven :blah:
For a change, the socks were for function (thermal) than just mere fashion!
You didn't even say hi????

Anyways, Houston, WE HAVE MUD..

Yesterday was fun but Rabie kinda ruined the whole day bec he was talking about brake jacks and single pivot theorem and sh*t.. friggin annoying.

Today, however, was prolly by far the best riding I've had in BB. Fast and sticky. Cherry topping was riding with Fronjay the rest of the afternoon. The most technical part of the weekend were the chairlift rides...dang it was COLD! Heather took a digger and was hurt bad, thus, no photoshoot!

I really need armor.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Hope you get well soon Heather.

As for the riding yesterday, I too thought that this was one of the BEST days I've ever had at the Bear that is Big. There was TONS of traction, no dust, SHORT lift lines, and I wasnt' sweating my Arse off after every run.
I wish it was like that EVERY day. Maybe it is my "soggy" NorCal experience that let me excel in those conditions ;)

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Acadian said:
knowing how clean freak you are - must of been hard to take a pic of mud on your bike! ;)
A bike is just another tool in the shed. I was more worried about my socks and stains I could have gotten on my jersey. After doing the laundry last night, a fashion disaster was avoided. As far as Heather, we'll know how bad it is later today.

Y'all, is BB open again next weekend? I heard there's another storm rolling in tomorrow. If so, bring long johns, thermals, wool socks and parkas..

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Orven said:
A bike is just another tool in the shed. I was more worried about my socks and stains I could have gotten on my jersey. After doing the laundry last night, a fashion disaster was avoided. As far as Heather, we'll know how bad it is later today.

Y'all, is BB open again next weekend? I heard there's another storm rolling in tomorrow. If so, bring long johns, thermals, wool socks and parkas..
That would be nice if it was....

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm pretty pissed that I listened to the reports of 'riding not being worthwhile.'

We went and played around on Jungle trail instead, and man, the rain did a NUMBER on that already-jacked-up final descent. A few parts are impassable now. And the rain's made it jungly again.

MD

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Orven said:
You didn't even say hi????
I would've but you had just started riding down Summit when I noticed the "N" on your frame, just after being paralyzed by your socks. When I saw you hit the first berm & jump, then I was sure who it was.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Acadian said:
is BB closed for the seaon now?

Not officially. It's going to be a week to week thing. They wanted to close it last Sat. morning. One of the employees asked my buddy, since we were the first ones down the hill, whether he thought they should shut it down.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
MikeD said:
I'm pretty pissed that I listened to the reports of 'riding not being worthwhile.'
MD

Bro, please tell me that you didn't get that from my post :( I apologize if you did.

I mainly just didn't want anyone getting hurt on jumps like the one Tym and I ate on.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Shyrmp said:
F* that....I'll be to busy trying to ride with a cast on one arm. ;)
Sorry to hear Heather. Didn't think it was that serious. Heal quick cause we're road tripping next month. Boulder City is calling.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Well it's official, Big Bear has SNOW :mad:. They are expecting as much as two feet by saturday. If that happens, the mountain will be open for skiers and snow boarders.