Quantcast

laura, look in here

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
The adventure races that I have done in the past (Hi-Tec/Balance Bar series) are sprint races that have very light Orienteering requirements. The races consist mainly of 12 miles of Mtb, 6 miles of running, 2 miles of paddling, some orienteering and special/secret events. Typically finished in 3-5 hours, by the mortals.

MY team mates and I want to try some longer races, 8-12 hours, with some more orienteering requirements, like ploting UTM coordinates, which is actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ok i have a million questions so i'm going to put them into reader friendly format for you.

1. do you have to have your own kayak?
2. how many people are on a team?
3. what is a special/secret event? i'm not too big on surprises. hahaha.
4. where do these races take place?
5. how did you get hooked up with your team mates?
6. how do you train?
7. how much does it cost?

I'd really like to get into something like this. i think that it's right up my alley. I enjoy painful pastimes, evident in the training for a marathon when i don't even have one to run.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
laura said:
1. do you have to have your own kayak?
2. how many people are on a team?
3. what is a special/secret event? i'm not too big on surprises. hahaha.
4. where do these races take place?
5. how did you get hooked up with your team mates?
6. how do you train?
7. how much does it cost?
1. No. Many races, especially the Sprints, provide inflatable kayaks, so everyone is using the same equipment. It takes a lot of skill to efficiently paddle these things in a straight line. Some of the races that we have been looking at for this year provide canoe rental when applicable. Other races, like the duathlon at Tsali, do not provide any boats to my knowledge, but have a handicap system depending on your boat.

2. 3 of us, all male. this hurts us as many races are co-ed only.

3. It could be anything, but almost always includes a "wall" 10-12" of vertical with a cat walk on the other side. more about special events in another post

4. in a park near you. The sprint races are getting more an more common. Do a search for them. check out the Atlanta Trailblazers website calendar to get you started.

5. they are my riding buds. Tell fred to put down the bong and train with you.

6. Poorly. Ride, but not enough, Run, but not enough

7. depends. $270 for a 3 person team, usually need some sort of NORBAesque license, ala USAT or USARA

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Special/secret events that I have encountered. The Wall, always the wall. Consider it a given.

Greased wall, this is an inclined plane with shortening all over it. get your team up and over. Typically,running and diving is not allowed as you are likely to launch off the high end superman style.

Mud pits to be crawled through, last mud pit I was in you had to crab crawl buttdown and backwards. If your ass is too low, it will fill with gritty mud.

Rope/cargo net & various obstacle courses, get your teams bikes over under and through the course.

balance beam 1, whole team must be in contact the entire beam

balance beam 2 , 2 balance beams running in roughly the same direction, but slightly splayed, so they are a foot apart at the beginning and 4-5 feet apart at the end. At least one person must cross on one balance beam and the other two mates on the other beam, all team mates must maintain physical contact with each other.

Carry a brick with you on the run.

Archery

get all team mates over the "electric" fence,without touching it.

orienteering challenges ( here is a map of the course with checkpoints marked. find the checkpoints and collect a token of proof)

I have heard rumors of race promoters going through the TA and letting the air out of bike tires, loosening handlebar stems, etc....