Quantcast

***Le Thursderp***

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Le Thursderp for not much longer in Ontario Canadia. How long until they make Canadian the official language and kick out the French?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
First dude bailed in the afternoon, saying he was working. Which was kind of expected as he bails literally every time. Second dude asked me what time we are riding at 4:30pm and then left me hanging at the trail without even a message saying he wouldn't show up.
Meh, I don't bother anymore. If someone I know says they want to ride I let them know when, where and never wait unless I get a text that says they are on the way. I ride by myself most of the time.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
i have a hard time feeling bad for boomers.
My dirt poor parents can barely afford gas for the motorhome and can only travel 3 months this year instead of 6... mainly because they spent 10K to fix some spinal defect on their 11 month old rescue cat. These are not problems I have faced, so I have no idea what the struggle is like.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Markets are cyclical. We are 9 years into the second longest bull market in modern US history. Much of the recent market return has been on stock buybacks.

From my observations:
People (older) are moving away from bonds into more aggressive investments because they are not yielding enough - ie people who should be, are not scared of risk.

I'm getting calls from people upset that their account is not up 15% halfway through the year, like it was last year - people's expectations for return are getting outlandish and unrealistic

On the above note, people upset that their account is possibly down 1-2% at any given point of the year. A normal year has 20+ >1% changes from the prior close and 13+ >2% (on the S&P500). Last year was a complete oddity; steady, non-volatile growth doesn't happen - we had NONE!

People are placated to the risk that is the market. I'm starting to see a lot of the "me too" people jumping in; people who got nuked in 2008 and went to cash/stable value funds. I'm not saying that the market will turn soon, because we don't know. But it will eventually and the primary owners of wealth in this country, once you get past the 1%, are retirees and people near it - it's just a matter of age. They do not have the ability to recover from their losses and a lot of Boomers already pushed retirement because of 2008. Look up endogenous risk to get a better understanding. I quite frankly want nothing to do with retail investors when the shit hits that fan.
*my internal stress intensifies*