Quantcast

***le Wednesday GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Jet leg crushed our will to live around 5 yesterday. Dinner and in bed by 6. Slept just about 13 hours, which is the best I've slept in a really long time. Off to find baguette and coffee. Louvre latter. Actual french meal this evening, just for @slyfink :D

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Hey @jstuhlman

What art should we definitely see in both Paris and Rome? Especially lesser known stuff. Personally, I like a sculpture, but the women folk are into the art.
The Egyptian Antiquities section of the Louvre is pretty spectacular as is the Greek/Etruscan/and Roman Antiquities section.

Did you buy a museum pass? It is worth the money and allows you to skip any queues

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Egyptian Antiquities section of the Louvre is pretty spectacular as is the Greek/Etruscan/and Roman Antiquities section.

Did you buy a museum pass? It is worth the money and allows you to skip any queues
yes and yes. museum pass is absolutely worth the francs

i thought the crypt under Notre Dame was interesting as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@Pesqueeb - i haven’t been to paris for years...if you like modern/contemporary art check out the pompidou center, the modern art museum of the city of paris/palais de tokyo or the vuitton foundation. for impressionism, musee d’orsay. i thought the catacombs were badass. for architecture, saint chapelle is pretty awesome.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
need to go back to the mothlight....left my jaw on the floor after earthless played.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@Pesqueeb do you plan on visiting versailles? it's outside of the city so its a day trip. wife and i didn't go because we were only there a few days, but i've heard it's worth it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Versailles is definitely worth it - just for the garden/park/fountains.

Also recommended - small museum - Marmottan. Mostly (all?) impressionist art. Had one of the most spectacular paintings I've ever seen - "Sunrise Impression"...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@Pesqueeb - i haven’t been to paris for years...if you like modern/contemporary art check out the pompidou center, the modern art museum of the city of paris/palais de tokyo or the vuitton foundation. for impressionism, musee d’orsay. i thought the catacombs were badass. for architecture, saint chapelle is pretty awesome.
Musée Rodin if you like sculpture. I second Pompidou.

Have you looked into this: http://www.pariscope.fr/ should give you a good idea of what's on at the moment.

edited to add: if you like impresionnism, check out L'organgerie. Monet's "Nymphéas" are there. They're gigantic and impressive (at least they were to me back when I visited them with my dad as a 14 year old). If I remember correctly, it's in the Jardin des tuileries, so pretty easy to get to.

And if you like Monet, a visit to his house in Giverny could be worth a daytrip. Especially at this time of year with the flowers in bloom. http://giverny.org/tour/excursion.htm

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
One of the girls leaves for camp/grand parents/back east trip for a month. wish it was the 4 year old & not the 9 yo.
planting herbs in the bed out front tonight and doing some wild fire mitigation instead of sailing at Cherry creek cuz I dont want to drive to the city.
/domesticmonkey

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
:wave:

Jet leg crushed our will to live around 5 yesterday. Dinner and in bed by 6. Slept just about 13 hours, which is the best I've slept in a really long time. Off to find baguette and coffee. Louvre latter. Actual french meal this evening, just for @slyfink :D
bonus if you steal some art from the louvre

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

We bought tickets online before we even left. By chance, we actually spent most of our day in the antiquities, and this is a good recommendation. Some really neat stuff. Of course we also hit the tourist stuff. Gotta say, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Mona Lisa, and the Venus. Neat to see and all, but the crowds kind of ruined it.

Highlight, at least for me though, was Winged Victory, and the Delacroix exhibition.

i liked this as well. your kid would definitely be into it. take a cab.
After our cab ride yesterday, I hope to never be in another car in this city. I'll never complain about LA traffic again. If we can't get there by train, I'm not going. :fie:

Be sure to have some escargot and foi gras.
Tonight!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. The Marmottan will probably get hit by us, and I'd really like to go to the Rodin. We talked about Palace of Versailles but it may be a bridge too far for the 4 day (now 2) that we have left.

Whose been to siena/Florence or Rome?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Père Lachaise Cemetery is a pretty cool place to walk through and see all the fancy tombs and stonework and Jim Morrison burial place. It's in the 11th.