Quantcast

***le Wednesday GMT***

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Pad thai is for tourists. Drunken noodles ftw.

(Today I have Japanese curry, which is also acceptable eats to me.)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
One of my biking homies got run over by a semi riding his bike home from work. He's mostly ok, considering, but broke most of his ribs and his shoulder.

Fucking A boys. Be careful out there.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
One of my biking homies got run over by a semi riding his bike home from work. He's mostly ok, considering, but broke most of his ribs and his shoulder.

Fucking A boys. Be careful out there.
I've seen too much behind the steering wheel to ever ride a bike on a road in this country.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Set some sort of new record for us today.

14miles, 3700ft vert.

That was a lot of hike pushing/carrying the bike.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
yea i gave up road riding years ago because of this.
I never started road riding because of this. Everyone I know who spends serious time on a road bike has been hit or swiped or run off the road.

I'll take my chances in the woods thanks. At lest I get to determine my level of risk out there.

PS I do commute to work when I feel like it, but it's about 3 miles round trip on back streets and I ride my dirt jumper on the sidewalk and jump up and down on all the little curbs and features, so getting hit is not likely.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I never started road riding because of this. Everyone I know who spends serious time on a road bike has been hit or swiped or run off the road.
i got into road riding in college. upstate NY, on the edge of the 'burbs and rural area. nice rolling hills, wide roads and wide shoulders, minimal traffic.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i got into road riding in college. upstate NY, on the edge of the 'burbs and rural area. nice rolling hills, wide roads and wide shoulders, minimal traffic.
I road ride, but I'm in wipeepo land, so all the lexuses and BMWs give wide berth. Great riding too, which is nice. As soon as I get into the more urban parts of the area, instant death. Was nearly run over about 0.1mi into the next town, but have never had a scare in the like 6 towns closer to home.

I sold a house, and apparently the person doing the closing filed a 1099s or whatever, so now the IRS thinks I took all the money and blew it on coke. They want their cut of the profit plus a penalty for me not paying them. Too bad we lived in it, so it should be under the capital gains cap. I hope.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

I'll take my chances in the woods thanks. At lest I get to determine my level of risk out there.

PS I do commute to work when I feel like it, but it's about 3 miles round trip on back streets and I ride my dirt jumper on the sidewalk and jump up and down on all the little curbs and features, so getting hit is not likely.
We are SO lucky here...there are 70 miles of dedicated bike paths for a town of 10,000, and some roads where I will see maybe 10-20 cars in 25 miles. There is even a no car route to the top of Teton Pass.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I rode my bike to work for about 6 months. The riding part I really enjoyed, the traffic and a-holes part not so much. All it took was the 6 months or so to hit FTS.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
No, not good, not good at all. :monkey: The broken ribs will be very painful for a long time.
Just got more details. Apparently he was under the semi getting dragged for about 50-60ft so he got some wicked road rash. Also has a punctured lung. The dude is a savage though. Just posts a selfie this morning in the hospital like "oh hey guys, I got run over by a semi last night but I'm ok" lol.

Curb hucking? I own it.
I get too into it sometimes. One day I managed to loop out on a manual on the way to work, then eat shit trying to drift some grass in the rain on the way home. My girlfriend thinks there is something wrong with me. And I think she is probably right.