Quantcast

Leaky Boxxer

voodoochild

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
sacto
I just bought a 2002 boxxer off of someone out of town. It was shipped here and when I got it out of the box it had som oil on the lowers. Then I noticed that it was continuing to leak even when I had it upright. I cleaned it and installed it and the leaking stopped when I had it sitting in garage. I was told that the leaking might have been from positioning in storage because the seals were just replaced. Then I took it to Northstar and it leaked quite a bit more while riding. It got everywhere. This can't be normal...or is it? Any input?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Dude be ready!! Boxxers are leaky forks especially the 2002 and before. Mine leaked all summer in whistler but at a point I just stopped worrying about it and put a cloth with duct tape around the lowers. But what the hell they work sooooo goood.

New seals might help or a complete tune up

good luck

voodoochild

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
sacto
This is what people have been telling me. I think it may be leaking a little too much, but am gonna go for the rebuild. Yes, it does have a great ride! That's why I really want to hang on to it. Do you know where I can get aftermarket seals? I can have my LBS do it but they kind of bend you over.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Most hydraulic equipment shops/suppliers should have seals that are very similar, if not exact specs, for alot less cash then the RockShox rebuild kit. My rebuild kit was around $100CDN, but that had every washer, o-ring, seal, dust wipe and wavey washer for a complete rebuild. Ran like a top after that.

westernpenna

Chimp
Apr 1, 2004
Pittsburgh
I have had good luck with Enduro wiper and seal kits, they seem to be made from a stiffer and more durable material than the OE ones. Its not just the Boxxer I work in a shop and all forks leak at one point, it is just some are more prone than others. I think if you give Enduro a try you will be pleased. Like I said previously they are a nice tight fit.

voodoochild

Chimp
Mar 30, 2004
sacto
Where can I get Enduro wipers/seal kit? I'm going to give it a rebuild in a bit and am looking for what to put in there.

westernpenna

Chimp
Apr 1, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well I work at a shop, and we get them from BTI which is one of our main distros. Try a google search for Enduro fork wipers if nothing turns up let me know and I will get you the number for the company. You could also go to your local shop and try and order them. I know you said the are pretty expensive but it is worth a try. In addition to all of this I'm sure you can find them online they are a pretty well known company.