Quantcast

Learn me more things

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What should I look for in a cheap newbie road tire? I am not competitive and the roads I ride on will likely be rough "east coast" roads. I am unlikely to do a race besides a triathlon, and will mostly be either training rides, riding on rollers, or just out for some fun.

#2, I need brakes. What flavor is good for cheap? Anything I should look our for or stay away from? I'm tempted to just stick with 105 or ultegra but often times brands like tektro offer the same things for less...

Finally, saddles...what's good and cheap?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I use Conti Ultra Gatorskins for my back road adventures.

I'd stick with 105 or Ultegra brakes.

WTB Silverado fits me just great, YMMV. You can usually get odd colored ones for cheap from Jenson and etc.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I ride Gatorskins now as well for training. I have put a lot of miles on them and I have only flatted once, I would guess I have like 1,500-2,000 miles on them right now? They still have some life left too. For racing something lighter with less rolling resistance would be better but they're not super slow-feeling either.

Tektro brakes work fine IMO, they come on a lot of $1k road bikes out there right now. While they aren't my favorite they seem to work. 105/Ultegra will work better though.

Saddles are 100% personal preference. See if you can borrow something or get a saddle demo before buying a saddle. I really like my Fizik Antares. Specialized saddles are also pretty comfortable for me, and I have seen a lot of Specialized demos at dealers.

Conti Gatorskins are the sh!t. Period. Run them. They're worth it. Wear is good, puncture resistance phenomenal, and they don't roll too badly for a clincher training tire.

Brakewise, as said, the Tektros are okay, but you'll get much better performance out of something like 105 or Ultegra. The top-end brakes (Red, Dura-Ace) aren't going to buy you performance, just weight savings.

Saddles: I HATE big S, but their saddles are the bomb, at least for me. The demo program is legit. The Romin has been pretty popular as of late, and it's what I'm on - haven't found a saddle that fits me as well as this. Also pretty affordable, I think retail is somewhere around $100 for the "base" model, which is pretty light already (200g~). It's very similar to the Antares in dimensions, but lacks the flat profile.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I weigh a bit more than you and I use the kevlar 23's on EA70 wheels. I thought about using the 25's but nerded up and went for a little less weight. I haven't had any problems with them.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Pretty sweet ride. I rode Topolino's for a few years and really liked the ride. Poppin' spokes is no fun though, especially if you do your own wrenching. There is just no way around sending the wheel back.

You got some good answers here. I'd go for 105 brakes at least. Tires - I agree on a little more beer for a commuter/trainer, it will be more comfortable and less prone to flats. As for a seat, you should already know what you like from mtb, just get something similar. Might want to focus a little more on the taint protection though, on a road bike you spend more time in the saddle and you don't get the cush of a squishy mtb.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Might want to focus a little more on the taint protection though, on a road bike you spend more time in the saddle and you don't get the cush of a squishy mtb.
No way, he's hardcore. :D

I'm using Tektro brakes on my singlespeed roadie. I like them, they stop me pretty good, even on some crazy descents.
105's are nice if you can score them though.

I'm running Conti 28's on mine and they are too wide, too grippy.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Tektro brakes are fine, but the standard sensible choice is Shimano. Great design, stopping power and feel.

As far as tires, 25c is a decent idea. Faster on rough roads than 23c and just a practical all-around choice with no noticeable extra weight. Haven't used Conti Gatorskins, but they are a solid choice. I've had good luck with Vittoria (Diamante and Rubino) and best luck with Vredestein Fortezzas.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I have old road tires if you need something to start off with.

Also, I have the crappiest brakes in existence and they're fine. As long as you have good pads don't sweat it. You've saved enough weight on the frame and wheels so you won't be hurting if you go with something kinda tanky.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, I think I'm going to order up a bunch of parts from CRC and hope they come in by april. They have some really good deals, and it looks like the price on 105 brakes is just a little more than like tektros, so I'll go with the shimanbros. They also have those gatorbacks and shiftgnurrz for good prices.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
damn!! i gave Greggah some tires at the summer Monkey Fest. Michelins too!! brake wise i'd go with either 105 or Ultegra. the saddle is a personal preference tho, but i've always liked San Marco's