Quantcast

Leg Cramps!?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
So, pedaling along this weekend I felt great. I've bee training my legs hard now since December, my cardio is slammin...but around mile 18 my quad rolled up on me!:eek: I mean this $hit hurt! I hopped off the bike (fell over really) and rubbed some life back into it.

What gives!? I wasn't bonked, I was plenty hydrated and had been keeping my enegy stores stocked (rice krispy treats and gu:D ). I was "okay" for the last few miles if a bit slower, but this bugged me. Its never happened before. And I thought it was a joke that you start to fall apart at 30!;) :p

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have to agree - if you are plannin on slammin a lot this summer try picking up some electrolyte tablets at your local running store. They are cheap and effective. Remember... you need more than water to be properly hydrated. :)

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Wouldn't hurt to get checked by a doc for blood clots too. Remember that journalist who complained of leg cramps over in Iraq? He died dude.

Not to worry you, I'm sure it's nothing, but it couldn't hurt ya know?

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by spincrazy
Wouldn't hurt to get checked by a doc for blood clots too. Remember that journalist who complained of leg cramps over in Iraq? He died dude.

Not to worry you, I'm sure it's nothing, but it couldn't hurt ya know?
Nah, I'm not worriwed about that. The asprin a day thing.;) Seriously though, I see a cardio doc now (I had a little A-fib episode this past winter).

Originally posted by Tenchiro

Take a banana with you.
I can't stomach nanas during exertion....they don't sit well. I was thinking of bringing some chips along for the break. The salt sounds like a goo didea though. I was sweating to bring a flood.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
In the past every season I had problems with leg cramps because I sweat so much, especially in the heat of the summer. Last year a friend told me about Endurolyte capsules from E-caps/Hammergel and they work great. You take a couple of caps before the ride, then every hour or so pop a few more, or you can mix them in with your water but it makes it taste funky. I dont use them on every ride, just when I race or am doing an epic or endurance type ride. Go to www.hammergel.com and read up on these things if any of you have troubles with cramps, they will help. Also I have had a time or two where I would be riding hard and start to get a cramp, I can take a few of the caps and the cramp will go away, which in the past at this point I would of normally had to quit riding because the cramps would only get worse, no matter how much water I guzzle.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've used them - they are often sponsors of my 50K trail races so we get samples in out goodie bags. GU2O is another excellent source of salt and minerals that mixes into a drink.

On the other hand... a handfulof pretzils and a banana will do the same thing - I just don't like pushing hard with food in my stomach.

Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
In the past every season I had problems with leg cramps because I sweat so much, especially in the heat of the summer. Last year a friend told me about Endurolyte capsules from E-caps/Hammergel and they work great. You take a couple of caps before the ride, then every hour or so pop a few more, or you can mix them in with your water but it makes it taste funky. I dont use them on every ride, just when I race or am doing an epic or endurance type ride. Go to www.hammergel.com and read up on these things if any of you have troubles with cramps, they will help. Also I have had a time or two where I would be riding hard and start to get a cramp, I can take a few of the caps and the cramp will go away, which in the past at this point I would of normally had to quit riding because the cramps would only get worse, no matter how much water I guzzle.

Lost Coyote

Chimp
Jan 30, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Endurolytes rock!! I too found out about them from ultramarathon runners. I used to get cramps on epic rides of 4 or more hours, after I started using Endurolytes I've not cramped once.

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Originally posted by Tenchiro

Take a banana with you.
OK, so you don't stomach bananas - that's OK! Try packing some tums. Yes, I'm serious! The ones with calcium also have a bunch of other trace minerals which get sweated away and are not so easily replaced by Gu or water alone. I have many riding buds who pack 'em - try it!

suga_stie

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Redlands, CA
there is new gel out there called "E-Gel". we tried/bought some at Sea Otter..

it contains electrolytes and more water than typical gels.

also contains 50% more in a packet than Gu. it's ALOT to take in at once, but I took some before my race.. The leg cramps held off...

150 calories
several decent flavors...
not as thick as Clif Shots, Gu, etc...

but i still like Gu better!

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Originally posted by suga_stie
there is new gel out there called "E-Gel". we tried/bought some at Sea Otter..

it contains electrolytes and more water than typical gels.

also contains 50% more in a packet than Gu. it's ALOT to take in at once, but I took some before my race.. The leg cramps held off...

150 calories
several decent flavors...
not as thick as Clif Shots, Gu, etc...

but i still like Gu better!
Is there any caffine? I can't have any...:( I bought a waterbottle for the long rides (i guess the holder for my battery will stay around for a while!) to fill with gatorade. I love my krispie treats and vanilla gu's....we'll see how the next pounder goes with the new artillery.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Skookum
LEG CRAMPS!!! Just know it's far from your fault. It's not too difficult to discover who's to blame for this!
omg man that is HORRIBLE. now how am i to blame for leg cramps :confused: :D

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Sorry everyone but I AM the king of leg cramps!

I know that if I am hydrated enough, drink gatorade instead of water on the ride and eat very often(dates) I can prevent them but I will try these endurolyte pills and let you know

thanks!

btw I can get a cramp taking off my socks on a regular day, try and beat that!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Does anyone know if it is easy to get too many electrolytes? If so what are the symptoms. I have had some cramping issues and will probably try some extra electrolyte intake, I just don't want to end up taking too much.