Quantcast

Leg Press = The Devil

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Note: Yes, it's a dramatic title but it got your attention, didn't it? :brows:

I’ve mentioned several times before in my writings about my disdain for the use of machines in MTB strength training programs. However, one machine has developed an almost cult status in the MTB world and deserves special attention in my quest to rid bodybuilding influences from our sport. The leg press has to be one of the worst exercises you can pick as a mountain biker in your quest to build a high performance, injury resistant body, yet it is one of the most popular choices for MTB workout programs.

The first thing that you need to consider when looking at exercise selection is that every exercise falls into the “sucks-good enough-best” continuum. While the goals of a particular athlete definitely help determine where an exercise falls on that scale, with few exceptions machine exercises never fall into the “best” category for MTB riders. While better than leg extensions or leg curls (which usually fall into the “sucks” category), leg presses have several drawbacks in the development of an athlete that keep it from being a “best” exercise. As athletes with extremely limited strength training time we simply can not afford to pick an exercise that does not give us the best return on our time investment.

The biggest problem that the leg press presents is that it applies the “muscle isolation” practice that bodybuilders frequently use. Our bodies will naturally act as a “kinetic chain” where several body parts work in unison in order to create movement. When we do a free weight exercise the body part that is the weakest link in that chain will determine how much load we can use (you are only as strong as your weakest link) and that weakest link will receive most of the strength stimulus from the exercise.

In a quest to build bigger muscles, bodybuilders have developed several tactics that allow them to artificially strengthen the body’s natural weak link, which is usually the ability of our torso to brace hard enough to protect the spine and to create to platform needed in order to produce force. The most common tactic that they employ is the use of machines, which allow them to sit and/ or brace their back against a pad. This bracing of the back against a pad allows the torso to be artificially strengthened, creating a new weak link in the kinetic chain. In the case of the leg press, the new weak link is the leg muscles.

Remember that bodybuilders have no need for real strength; they just need to have big muscles. Using the leg press to train the leg muscles makes sense for them because they want to preferentially overload the leg muscles in order to build bigger leg muscles. They can not use that leg press strength in the real world since their torsos can not brace hard enough to allow them to display all of that force potential. That is why you can not squat or deadlift nearly as much weight as you can leg press – the free weight exercises put the torso back into its rightful spot as the weakest link, nullifying all of that leg press strength.

In addition, use of the leg press in an MTB strength training program shows little understanding of the big picture regarding how the human body responds to exercise. Few coaches really appreciate the fact that the nervous system controls everything that we do and it is ultimately the nervous system that determines the results that we get from our training. When you understand this then your start to see training in a whole new light – we are not simply training muscles; we are really training those muscles to act together in order to create movement patterns.

Our brain lays down a “neural blueprint” each time we do an activity. The more times we practice that movement pattern the more defined that neural blueprint becomes. The more defined a neural blueprint is the less conscious our brain has to be in the execution of that movement. A perfect example of this concept is learning to ride a bike. We all fell over our first time we tried and it took a lot of practice to get to where we could simply ride in a straight line. Now we can throw a leg over a bike and go hit a trail, most of the time never having to consciously think about what we are doing – it just happens. This is because your brain has such a well defined neural blueprint that it can easily access all of it on a sub-conscious level.

Now, look at the leg press with this understanding of what we are really doing with every rep of this exercise. We are teaching our bodies how to sit down, brace our backs against something, place our feet on a platform and push a sled in 2 dimensions (the tracks on the leg press means that we do not have to stabilize the weight, another huge drawback). This is hardly a neural blueprint worth spending time developing as it has no carry over to MTB riding.

Let’s look at a deadlift now from a neural blueprint perspective. The deadlift is teaching our bodies to maximally contract the torso in order to protect the spine and create a platform for our legs to press against. Our upper back is contracting in order to hold the weight strong and close to the body. The legs are coordinating their efforts with the torso and upper back in order to stand up with the weight. Your torso is also acting as a bridge between the force produced by the lower body and the weight being held by the upper body. In a nutshell, you are training your body to brace the torso and protect the spine while coordinate the efforts of several major muscle groups.

I am not claiming that the deadlift is a mirror image of cycling as I know that it is not. However, compare the way your brain inputs those two exercises and it is extremely clear that the deadlift (and other compound free weight exercises) is vastly superior to the leg press in training for the rigors of MTB riding. In fact, one could argue that the leg press will interfere with maximizing a rider’s potential as it creates a competing neural blueprint for your brain to have to deal with and may, in fact, teach you bad movement patterns that can carryover to your riding. In light of all of this the leg press is hardly a worthy addition to our strength training regimen.

I also know that a lot of people who read this will think back to their experience and think that I am nuts. Many riders feel that the leg press has helped them and delivered some results. In fact, I will not argue with them as they probably did get positive results from using the leg press. However, remember the continuum that I use to grade exercises: sucks - good enough - best. Not doing anything “sucks” so adding the leg press now moves you into the “good enough” category, which will deliver some results, but they are not the “best” that we can do with our strength training time.

The great Australian strength coach Ian King once wrote that “the good enough is the enemy of the best”. Truer words have never been written and this mantra drives every aspect of my life to this day. As MTB riders we have settled for the “good enough” for too long, not knowing any better. The time has come, though, for us to wake up and realize that strength and conditioning for our sport has stagnated in the last decade and that we deserve better than bodybuilding inspired programs from 10-15 years ago.

Advances in our understanding of how the body responds to training from a neurological, hormonal and structural perspective requires that we revisit our training philosophies and practices. When we find something that does not make sense from our new, more enlightened perspective we must either admit that we were honestly mistaken in our efforts and redirect them to more productive areas or we must stop being honest with ourselves, continuing to follow the old dogma for no other reason than a resistance to change.

Note: I know that this will make some start to wonder about using exercises that try to perfectly mimic our riding. If the leg press sucks because it is so far removed from the kinetic chain demands of riding then the best exercise must be one that perfectly mimics it, right? Well, no. While the subject of another article, I will mention that trying to mimic our sport too closely in the gym is not a good idea as it is impossible to perfectly recreate the same kinetic chain pattern. The idea is to work on the general movement pattern in the gym and use in saddle conditioning work to convert it to true MTB specific strength. For example, use deadlifts to build the raw strength in your legs and then use high gear bike strength work to convert it. One without the other will not deliver the same results that you will get from employing both.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Nice! I've always felt that the best training for a specific activity is to DO THAT ACTIVITY! There's no better way to "simulate" something than to do it! Just do a little more of it a little harder than whatever it is you're training for will require, ie; 5+ minute non-stop DH runs if you are racing 2-3 minutes runs....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Nice! I've always felt that the best training for a specific activity is to DO THAT ACTIVITY! There's no better way to "simulate" something than to do it! Just do a little more of it a little harder than whatever it is you're training for will require, ie; 5+ minute non-stop DH runs if you are racing 2-3 minutes runs....
careful with that medicine. cross training is important. training by only cycling will not be as rewarding as combining running, yoga, weight lifting, swimming, etc. along with cycling. of course, we are here to ride, so riding should be the biggest part of training. only training by riding will create an imbalance in the body.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I do plyometric excersizes like trail running on steep/uneven terrain because cycling is so one-dimensional and repetitive. I also do weight train and stretch a lot. I do this because I feel it makes me more well-rounded and fit in general, however in terms of achieving high performance in one specific discipline I still believe the best results are achieved from doing that one thing. That is not to say that doing other things will neccesarilly detract from that (although they sure could).

For example, a little over a year ago I was in great riding shape, it was the end of summer, I'd been riding everyday and had endless cardio and very strong cycling legs. I played a game of football with some friends and after a few hours of explosive sprinting and side-to-side movements, I felt fine albeit winded and a bit noodley. The next day I was SORE AS HELL and it lasted for almost a week! That experience definitely changed my perception of what it is to be "fit". Likewise though I doubt if an NFL linbacker would make a good cyclist, and in fact any amount of real cycling would be detrimental to his gametime performance.

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
You are way off on your assessment of the leg press. For one the leg press with substantial weight causes you to perform a valsava manuever whether you want or not and there are three jointed movement perfromed at once. So you are getting core strength and leg strength. BTW strength is half the equation of power and power is EVERYTHING in MTB racing.

Secondly, isolation of a muscle to overload is essential in developing stronger muscles. Stronger muscles translate into increased power production. Gym weight training still has much value since plyometrics, core stability and bike specific training cannot oveload individual muscles in the same way.

But I would recommend doing hack squats as opposed to leg press, but also add olympic movements and core stability and plyometrics. It is a balance that produces the best results.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
James - I was actually reading the work your doing with Houseman, and had a question. When you talk about 1.5x or 2x bodyweight squats, does that include your body weight into the total?

Ex. I weigh 250 - Should I be working to squat 500 on the bar? or 250 on the bar + 250 body weight = 500 (or 2x body weight)?

Yes...this may be a stupid question. However, I'm pretty strong right now and I'm at 300 on the bar for 8 reps on my final set (12/10/8 reps). 500 on the bar seems impossible to me at this point.

Thoughts?

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
You are way off on your assessment of the leg press. For one the leg press with substantial weight causes you to perform a valsava manuever whether you want or not and there are three jointed movement perfromed at once. So you are getting core strength and leg strength. BTW strength is half the equation of power and power is EVERYTHING in MTB racing.

Secondly, isolation of a muscle to overload is essential in developing stronger muscles. Stronger muscles translate into increased power production. Gym weight training still has much value since plyometrics, core stability and bike specific training cannot oveload individual muscles in the same way.

But I would recommend doing hack squats as opposed to leg press, but also add olympic movements and core stability and plyometrics. It is a balance that produces the best results.
You are still missing the point of the nueral adaptations that you get from the leg press. Why waste time working on a movement pattern that has nothing to do with cycling? You would get more bang for your buck with a freeweight/ bodyweight exercise, period. Leg presses are "good enough" but not the "best"...

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
James - I was actually reading the work your doing with Houseman, and had a question. When you talk about 1.5x or 2x bodyweight squats, does that include your body weight into the total?

Ex. I weigh 250 - Should I be working to squat 500 on the bar? or 250 on the bar + 250 body weight = 500 (or 2x body weight)?

Yes...this may be a stupid question. However, I'm pretty strong right now and I'm at 300 on the bar for 8 reps on my final set (12/10/8 reps). 500 on the bar seems impossible to me at this point.

Thoughts?
I recommend a 2X bodyweight deadlift, not squat, although squatting is a good exercise as well. And no, your bodyweight does not count, that is referring to the weight on the bar. Hope this helps...

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Hey James,

good read man. I dig it. I use leg press only for a 3rd or 4th type of leg exercies. Dead lifts, squats (bar), split squat and lunges always come before the leg press. These exercies force more muscle involvment, similar to what you said.

Have you ever tried 1 legged iso squats on where you are standing on the bench? Those are fun.... well.. not really but they force a bunch of balance.. another ok one is to 1 legged squat toe touch. stand on left leg, let right leg float above ground. squat down on left leg and touch right hand to left leg.

Michael
e.thirteen / Evil

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I can't ride a uni for **** but I bet it helps with manuals/wheelies and overall balance.
Speaking as someone who can ride a uni, it doesn't really help with any MTB-related skills. It is about as helpful as pogo-sticking.

What you need to get is a BMX. Spend a year at the skatepark on your BMX and the when you pick your DH bike back up, your riding will be on another level. Guaranteed.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Just got out of a group fitness class that seems to incorporate a lot of what James has talked about in other posts.

For lack of re-hashing, I'll call it "old school" training - lots of body weight movements, pushups, body eight squats, lunges, "mountain climbers", jogging in place/knee raises, side lunges, "jumps", etc...they call it "boot camp".

It was about 55 minutes non-stop with jumping jacks, jump rope or marching in place between excercises (about 20-30 seconds rest). I'm totally beat...

For those that haven't, check out Jame's site - very cool. I'd like to work with him - but have to wait till after Christams to check the funds situation!

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hey James,

good read man. I dig it. I use leg press only for a 3rd or 4th type of leg exercies. Dead lifts, squats (bar), split squat and lunges always come before the leg press. These exercies force more muscle involvment, similar to what you said.

Have you ever tried 1 legged iso squats on where you are standing on the bench? Those are fun.... well.. not really but they force a bunch of balance.. another ok one is to 1 legged squat toe touch. stand on left leg, let right leg float above ground. squat down on left leg and touch right hand to left leg.

Michael
e.thirteen / Evil
Those 1 legged squats you describe are great and super tough. I actually recommend that you be able to pull off at least 6-8 1 legged squats on each leg before worrying about concentrating on 2 legged and weighted exercises. Thanks for the feedback and insight...

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
those standards seem about right to be honest.

james. my max deadlift is just over 2x bodyweight, should i try to progress to heavier weights or maintain this level and concentrate on sprints or other aspects of training?
I would make sure that my unilateral leg strength was up to par (able to do 6-8 single leg squats on each leg) and if it was then I would worry more about working on strength endurance. For example, find your 6 rep max (probably about 80-85% of your 1 rep max). Take that weight and do 10 sets of 3 reps with it, trying to rest only 45-60 seconds between sets. Try to decrease your rest each week until you can do all 10 sets of 3 reps with only 30 sec. rest between sets. Once you can do that then add 5 pounds and repeat the process. This will really dial in your strength endurance and ability to maintain form and technique in the face of fatigue which is vital for DH racing and riding.

MichaelT

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
home
Tangent for people with roughed up GH joints... which is common with mtn bikers.

anyone have a take on bench press and how far your upper arm should go down?

One PT suggested that I go down so my upper arm is parrallel with the ground. For me, that means the bar bell does not touch my shoulder.
This is supposed to prevent soft tissue damage. Similar idea that one should not lift weights over our head (militarty press) as it can damage soft tissue in the gh joint.

Michael

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
For example, find your 6 rep max (probably about 80-85% of your 1 rep max). Take that weight and do 10 sets of 3 reps with it, trying to rest only 45-60 seconds between sets. Try to decrease your rest each week until you can do all 10 sets of 3 reps with only 30 sec. rest between sets. Once you can do that then add 5 pounds and repeat the process.
I was doing that with all excercises for about a year before I stopped going for about 8 months...it kicks the sh!t out of you and you actually end up spending less time in the gym.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Tangent for people with roughed up GH joints... which is common with mtn bikers.

anyone have a take on bench press and how far your upper arm should go down?

One PT suggested that I go down so my upper arm is parrallel with the ground. For me, that means the bar bell does not touch my shoulder.
This is supposed to prevent soft tissue damage. Similar idea that one should not lift weights over our head (militarty press) as it can damage soft tissue in the gh joint.

Michael
I think that full range of motion is good if you do not have significant damage already. Also, don't go super heavy on bench press. That partial ROM crap that therapists recommend is very short sighted. The damage is caused by a movement pattern disfunction in the shoulder joint, usually the inability to control and stabilize the shoulder blades. By addressing the disfunction and the cause the potential damage you make a healthier and more injury resistant athlete.

BTW, go to www.t-mag.com and read the article "In Defense of Overhead Lifting" by Charles Staley for a primer on why you should be including overhead lifts into your program. Actually, read everything that you can there and you'll be smarter than most trainers.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
so can i ever be competitive at say the semipro level if i NEVER go to the gym, maybe jog once in a while, a good amount of XC on a 40 lb dh bike, do some pushups, situps, ride a **** ton and that about it? Do i really need a fitness program, i hate what i'll call training or "pure" exercising.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
so can i ever be competitive at say the semipro level if i NEVER go to the gym, maybe jog once in a while, a good amount of XC on a 40 lb dh bike, do some pushups, situps, ride a **** ton and that about it? Do i really need a fitness program, i hate what i'll call training or "pure" exercising.
I'm sure that you know the answer to your question...of course you can if you have enough natural talent to make up for your lack of overall conditioning. Perhaps you could be competitive on the Pro circuit if you followed a good program? And perhaps you hate traditional exercise because all you have been exposed to is the boring bodybuilder inspired routines that are currently out there. Check out my sample workout you get when you sign up for the newsletter on my site and see if you find it boring and uninspiring (sorry for the shameless plug).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The problem is that a lot of people can't effectively increase the resistance, and they don't do it regularly enough.

If you took a steep hill, keep riding it and getting higher and higher in the gears, untill you're going up a bloody steep hill in the 2nd chainring and 3rd from largest (or maybe even smaller) rear cog, then you effectively increased the resistance and got stronger, but actually sticking to a schedule to do it and increasing the resistance (you're gunna feel like crap and you're not going to want to do it) is difficult.

Not to say it can't be done, but it's not quite as easily done as it is said.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
By the way, leg presses are obviously NOT from the devil;

:D :monkeydance: :banana:

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson says he has leg-pressed 2,000 pounds, but some say he'd be in a pretty tough spot if he tried.

The "700 Club" host's feat of strength is recounted on the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network, in a posting headlined "How Pat Robertson Leg Pressed 2,000 Pounds."

According to the CBN Web site, Robertson worked his way up to lifting a ton with the help of his physician, who is not named. The posting does not say when the lift occurred, but a CBN spokeswoman released photos to The Associated Press that she said showed Robertson lifting 2,000 pounds in 2003, when Robertson was 73. He is now 76.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060526/D8HRO5SO0.html

Rabid anti-Christians say thats not possible and that even Lord Jesus could only leg-press 666 pounds with each leg for total of 1,332 pounds.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/spin/story/9454343

Robertson claims Jesus did not have his special protein shake to make the lift possible.
Weight Loss Shake Recipe (in a blender combine the following):

* 1/2 scoop Lindberg Protein Blend powder
* 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex protein powder
* 1 teaspoon Glutamine powder
* 1 teaspoon MSM powder
* 1 tablespoon Flaxseed Oil
* 1/2 tablespoon Safflower Oil
* 1-2 tablespoons Apple Cider vinegar (or use Lindberg's Complete Digestant)
* 1 tablespoon of Lecithin
* 10-12 ounces distilled water
* 6-8 frozen strawberries
* 1/4 cup blueberries
* 1/2 banana
* 1 packet non-caloric sweetener

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm sure that you know the answer to your question...of course you can if you have enough natural talent to make up for your lack of overall conditioning. Perhaps you could be competitive on the Pro circuit if you followed a good program? And perhaps you hate traditional exercise because all you have been exposed to is the boring bodybuilder inspired routines that are currently out there. Check out my sample workout you get when you sign up for the newsletter on my site and see if you find it boring and uninspiring (sorry for the shameless plug).
Im going for as much natural ballz and stupidity as talent in reality, that and youth. But i figure i might give a little bit of traning a shot this year, for lolz. I'll give ure newsletter a shot though QT ;). I figure maybe over the winter i should train a litttle bit since my college has plenty of nice equipment and such. Maybe i just hate the whole atmosphere of a gym, all the football players in there commencing ego masturbation and such. well enough with the braod, iggnorant generalizations....

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Thank you for taking the time to post up such detailed, well-thought-out information like this... it's time consuming.

This thread of topics like leg presses, dead lifting, and torso/spine relationships really has me thinking.

An MRI about a year ago revealed that I have a ruptured disk at c5-c6. A couple of doctors I talked with wanted to perform anterior discectomy fusions, I refused.

At the time of the injury I had no pain in my neck, I did have a numb right thumb and what felt like a severely torn rotator, very painful. The pain went away in 8 weeks and I haven't had it since. However, I still have the numbness in my right thumb and have now had numbness in my left pointer and middle fingers since may. Sounds bad but not really, I'm as strong as an ox right now (framing my house solo), just with some numb fingers and lots of neurological paranoia.:twitch:

Have any of your clients dealt with herniated/slipped/ruptured discs?

If so, did they treat it naturally or with surgery?

And most importantly, if they had any numbness anywhere, did the feeling eventually come back?

Also, my gym program consists of a small amount of free weights, very small amount of rope jumping, and 40min. on the stationary bike. My pedaling pattern is as follows:

-First 5min is warm up w/med. resistance

-At 7min mark begin standing sprint w/high resistance for
1min+ what ever feels right

-Resume saddled pedaling and decreased resistance for 10min

-Repeat sprint at the 7min mark of each 10min increment, while
increasing the resistance and sprint time by roughly 30sec each
time ultimately trying for a 3min sprint before finishing

Would this type of interval be wise, or am I doing it backwards?

Any help or info you can offer would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Thank you for taking the time to post up such detailed, well-thought-out information like this... it's time consuming.

This thread of topics like leg presses, dead lifting, and torso/spine relationships really has me thinking.

An MRI about a year ago revealed that I have a ruptured disk at c5-c6. A couple of doctors I talked with wanted to perform anterior discectomy fusions, I refused.

At the time of the injury I had no pain in my neck, I did have a numb right thumb and what felt like a severely torn rotator, very painful. The pain went away in 8 weeks and I haven't had it since. However, I still have the numbness in my right thumb and have now had numbness in my left pointer and middle fingers since may. Sounds bad but not really, I'm as strong as an ox right now (framing my house solo), just with some numb fingers and lots of neurological paranoia.:twitch:

Have any of your clients dealt with herniated/slipped/ruptured discs?

If so, did they treat it naturally or with surgery?

And most importantly, if they had any numbness anywhere, did the feeling eventually come back?

Also, my gym program consists of a small amount of free weights, very small amount of rope jumping, and 40min. on the stationary bike. My pedaling pattern is as follows:

-First 5min is warm up w/med. resistance

-At 7min mark begin standing sprint w/high resistance for
1min+ what ever feels right

-Resume saddled pedaling and decreased resistance for 10min

-Repeat sprint at the 7min mark of each 10min increment, while
increasing the resistance and sprint time by roughly 30sec each
time ultimately trying for a 3min sprint before finishing

Would this type of interval be wise, or am I doing it backwards?

Any help or info you can offer would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
PM me with your contact info and so I can talk to you further about that disc situation. I have not dealt with much in the way of disc problems in the neck (a lot in the low back) but I would say that there are some shoulder blade stabilization drills that might help. Without proper stabilazation of this area a lot of tension shifts up into the traps and neck and could make the situation worse than it needs to be. As far as the numbness, no ideas there, definitely outside my realm of expertise.

As far as your workout and the sprint intervals, I would say that you are allowing too much recovery to really enhance your lactate threshold and anaerobic enudurance. A 1:1 or even 2:1 rest to work ratio has been shown to be the most benenficial for those purposes. For example, warm up and then alternate 60 sec. sprinting with 120 sec. rest. Repeat for for 5-6 sprints. Each week decrease the rest period by 5-10 sec. making sure to maintain your sprint speed and intensity. Within 6 weeks or so you should be able to do the same sprint work with only 60 sec. rest between intervals, obviously a good step forward with you anaerobic endurance capacity.

This is obviously a very simple workout example but one that may help you achieve better DH specific fitness.

Hope this helps and like I said, PM me with your e-mail and I'll shoot you some shoulder blade control drills that might help...

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
James, how do you feel about wall sits?
I don't dislike them, but I don't really like them either, especially for a DH racer who does not want to be static on the bike but instead be cranking it every chance that he gets. One of the differences between the best and the rest is the ability to get a pedal in whenever the opportunity presents itself instead of coasting in order to rest. Like I said, not bad but not if they are being done at the expense of better exercises like Bulgarian split squats or the deadlift.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I haven't read all the posts yet so I don't know if this has been covered or not yet but there is another issue with leg press.
In New Rules for Lifting (a book which I highly reccomend for anyone interested in lifting or involved in fitness) they talk about a study that shows that when you drop the weights really low (which is the only way to really make the leg press effective) you tend to roll your hips resulting in a greater risk of injury.

And while in the past I too was known to puss out and use machines for my leg workouts I have since seen the light and agree that leg-press=the devil.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I haven't read all the posts yet so I don't know if this has been covered or not yet but there is another issue with leg press.
In New Rules for Lifting (a book which I highly reccomend for anyone interested in lifting or involved in fitness) they talk about a study that shows that when you drop the weights really low (which is the only way to really make the leg press effective) you tend to roll your hips resulting in a greater risk of injury.

And while in the past I too was known to puss out and use machines for my leg workouts I have since seen the light and agree that leg-press=the devil.
I second that recommendation for that book. Alwyn Cosgrove (I know anther guy was involved with the book but Alwyn was the main guy behind it) is a great strength coach and his ideas on lifitng are extremely similar to mine...