Quantcast

Lens for mtb photography?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hi guys,
I just bought an Sony a77 to get me into photography and the camera is pretty badass so far.
Now I have to sort out, which lenses I want to buy:
There is a 16-50 f2.8 as a kit lens in the package, I will buy a fixed lens in the 35-50mm range and then there is a telezoom to buy.
I did some research and now I have the following questions:
As I am in the market for a 55-200 until 70-300 lens, my question is: Do I need a high aperture i.e. f2.8 for mtb photography?
Is an aperture in the f4.5-5.6 enough?

Can some photomonkey help me?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Kinda depends on what you mean by "mtb photography". If you mostly plan to take pictures of stationary objects like mountains, bikes and beavers, a slower lens would be fine. If you plan to take action pictures of riders screaming down the hills, the faster lens you can afford (and are willing to haul around), the better. Reasons: moar light == shorter exposure times and less blur, better fg/bg separation because of narrow depth of field, brighter viewfinder and easier manual focusing (if you need to). Cons: $$$, moar lbs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for action sport photgraphy, you want the largest aperture you can get so you can run a really fast shutter speed; the larger aperture allows you to have enough light on the exposure so you don't get blurry shots.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
To be honest, most of my shooting was done in the 17-50mm range, and your 16-50mm should be great for that. At the very least I'd say start shooting with that and see where your needs aren't being met (faster wide-angle prime, fisheye, telephoto, etc).

Once you see the type of lens you need, then you can start figuring out costs vs benefits.

Overall I'd even say that flashes/triggers are more important than a telephoto lens. It gets awfully dark underneath a full leaf canopy, and even beyond that there's all sorts of shadows that wreck havoc with mtb photos....

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I would be looking at a wide angle, before long zoom. Wide angles exagerate corners and gnar, and make landscapes very expansive.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1018528-REG/tokina_116prodxsii_11_16mm_f_2_8_pro_dx.html
That and a 35mm 1.8 prime is what I would get.

Many pro photographer post the lenses they use for their shots.
http://www.pinkbike.com/u/ianhylands/album/
Lots of wide shots. Not many long zoom. Fast 70-200 2.8 is expensive and heavy, and you really need to use a tripod. Shorter lenses work well handheld.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It reallly depends on what you want to shoot.

I mean, yes to the above. Yes, large aperture is good for sports. Yes, flash triggers are basically essential if you want to do serious action photography in the woods.

But what are you actually shooting? Casually taking the camera in a pack into the woods to shoot the occasional jump or scenic shot while you're taking a water break? Taking photos of the places you go? Lugging a pack full of expensive gear for serious photo shoots?

I agree with Dante's recommendation to forget about new gear right now. Take the camera with you along with the kit lens and see what your needs are and where the kit lens isn't cutting it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
remember when BAH was posting and taking great fvcking mtb pictures with a fvcking canon powershot....

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Thanks a lot for the answers.

But what are you actually shooting? Casually taking the camera in a pack into the woods to shoot the occasional jump or scenic shot while you're taking a water break? Taking photos of the places you go? Lugging a pack full of expensive gear for serious photo shoots?
First of all, I am starting more or less from scratch. Really motivated to get better, though.
I will shoot a lot of trips where I will go (holidays, biketrips, snowboard trips), I will shoot some videos and pictures for our company and I will shoot on a few events maybe in my future.

During winter time, we are running a snowpark, so all the coverage for updates from contests,session etc. will be done by me.

So basically I want to shoot everything.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
remember when BAH was posting and taking great fvcking mtb pictures with a fvcking canon powershot....
For sure it can be done, currently there are Lumix LX7s getting cleared out cheap nice wide angle f1.4 lens with a built in variable ND filter and can also shoot 1080 at 50FPS. I am going to get one to replace my older version.

Sorry I know sweet FA about SLR cameras, I had a Lumix GH2 mirrorless and it sucked balls big time!