Quantcast

Leogang Lizard Cup 2018

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
So? He's been riding 10,000 hours of mountain bikes a year basically and living, breathing, and eating mountain bikes for the past 10 years. Not to mention he'd never ridden downhill before, stopped moto because of injuries not speed, and was immediately hooked when he started DH. I donno, this conversation seems pretty stupid and crazy and I can't tell who's fucking with me and who genuinely believes something so crazy. Either way, I'm gonna bow out of this conversation because I don't really give a shit, if I spent all day trying to explain to people how wrong they were over the internet, I'd never get anything done.

PS: before you try and suck me back in, I'm well aware that there are only 8760 hours in a year. It's called a hyperbole, read a book Karen.
for 10000 hours/year he only takes suspicously little training runs at the world cups. doesnt he like to ride bikes or what?

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
So? He's been riding 10,000 hours of mountain bikes a year basically and living, breathing, and eating mountain bikes for the past 10 years. Not to mention he'd never ridden downhill before, stopped moto because of injuries not speed, and was immediately hooked when he started DH. I donno, this conversation seems pretty stupid and crazy and I can't tell who's fucking with me and who genuinely believes something so crazy. Either way, I'm gonna bow out of this conversation because I don't really give a shit, if I spent all day trying to explain to people how wrong they were over the internet, I'd never get anything done.

PS: before you try and suck me back in, I'm well aware that there are only 8760 hours in a year. It's called a hyperbole, read a book Karen.
At this level, they're all dedicated. We know that. I just don't really like the cut of the guy's jib. Sorry. He's probably even super-awesome in person and he deserves that shitter with a view.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
All those guys seem pretty stoked. Pretty sure Gwinn is fast due to weight savings from having no soul.
You can be good, or entertaining, but you can't be both. See also Nico vouilloiuioiuzes, Greg mignar, or conversely Steve peat.

Coincidentally he rode dh coming from a bmx background, so I guess unless you grow up on a my then you suck?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
just heard that a local kid was one of 4 picked by usa cycling to go to val di sole and andorra. pretty sweet. he'll be in the juniors - nathan st. clair.

love the end of cathro's vid where he punishes the hole. :twitch:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
podium tires.

pierron - magic mary
gwin - aquila
greenland - dhr II
brosnan - dhf/dhr II
vergier - dhr II

atherton - G5
nicole - magic mary
hannah - hellkat
hrastnik - dhr II
siegenthaler - dhf

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
neither of the riders on the sworks bikes looked like they were on / riding their bikes? It mostly looked like there were perched atop them.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Have you spotted anyone running DHF rear / DHRII front yet?

I guess the HRII is kinda done.

podium tires.

pierron - magic mary
gwin - aquila
greenland - dhr II
brosnan - dhf/dhr II
vergier - dhr II

atherton - G5
nicole - magic mary
hannah - hellkat
hrastnik - dhr II
siegenthaler - dhf

Last edited:

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
neither of the riders on the sworks bikes looked like they were on / riding their bikes? It mostly looked like there were perched atop them.
On a similar note, How good that Commencal high pivot bike? Looks to be one of the best bikes on the circuit.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yea currently I’m debating that combo vs just two DHRIIs...
I did it. Bought a DHR2 for tHe front and put the used DHF to the back to finish it. Worked great until the sideknobs of the DHF fell off (supertacky). Then it was DHR2 time on the rear aswell. Since then (2014) I‘ve never ridden anything else on my DH rig. And I don‘t think that that will change as imo the DHR2 is the far better allround tire then the regular Minion.
DHR2s front and rear it is.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I'm liking my 2.4 dhr 2 front (27.5). Tried an old 2.5 60a dhf (single-ply 26) in the back and it was pretty slow rolling.
I've never heard the dhf described as slow rolling. in fact i've run them in the rear for the opposite reason. braking isn't the greatest but they roll as good or better than any other tire that has a similar overall performance.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah DHFs roll really nicely IME. On the back the braking traction is noticeably less than the DHR2 or HR2 though. And drive traction sucks if you're Enduro AF. I'm running a DHF rear with Magic Purple front at the moment and its fun as hell. Gonna go DHR2 rear for Canada tho.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've never heard the dhf described as slow rolling. in fact i've run them in the rear for the opposite reason. braking isn't the greatest but they roll as good or better than any other tire that has a similar overall performance.
I agree. I've been running DHF front and rear for a bit on dry fast stuff (cause I have a DHF in DD casing that I want to wear out before buying another DHR) and I think it rolls as good or better than the DHR. In steep sections with marginal traction it's kinda garbage though. When it starts skidding and skipping it wants to move side to side rather than the nice boat anchor feeling that the DHRIII has. BUT in the loose dusty corners the DHF in the rear is incredible. I can feel it searching for traction in drifty corners where other tires would have given up and slid away.

After trying it out I'd say it will be my go to for the rear in fast dusty conditions as long as there are no technical steep sections. Also for trail riding the 2.3 is plenty. No reason to run a 2.5

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Maybe because it was a 2.5? I also have to ride on asphalt and cement roads to get to the the trails. But even on flatter bits of trail going back down it felt slower and heavy. Maybe it's the size since the previous tire was a 2.3. It's pretty old too, a narrow looking single ply 60a that has the old maxxis font on it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
At this level, they're all dedicated. We know that. I just don't really like the cut of the guy's jib. Sorry. He's probably even super-awesome in person and he deserves that shitter with a view.
You don't have to apologize to me for not liking him, I've never met him, nor do I really care whether or not you do. I'm just saying you're making an awful lot of assumptions about what drives him and gets him pumped, and he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. I've met way the fuck more awesome mountain bikers than shitlords, in general people tend to be pretty nice in this sport. I aint no Jesus humpin bible thumpin Gwin is our savior cultist, just think he's probably a pretty nice guy who likes mountain bikes a lot, like most of the other people on the circuit (except Lord Bummer)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Have you spotted anyone running DHF rear / DHRII front yet?
I run a DHRII front and Bling Bling/Minion SS rear all year round here. Which means everything from properly wet mud, mud over hardpack, dry or wet roots and rocks to loam or dust
Blings/SS both being basically a semi slick with the DHF edge tread. The only thing they don't cope with is greasy grass off cambers where a spike/shorty is probably the one. They fling off dirt and clear better/faster than pretty much any other tyre as they're super fast rolling and there's not a lot for it to cling to in the first place. To get the best from this set up you need to get used to the lack of straightline rear braking (but the awesome braking characteristics of the DHRII makes up for that) , enjoy the enhanced (controlled) driftability and get used to leaning them over to connect the edge when you need the grip to return. (May well be teaching grandma to suck eggs here but felt the need to explain)

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I run a DHRII front and Bling Bling/Minion SS rear all year round here. Which means everything from properly wet mud, mud over hardpack, dry or wet roots and rocks to loam or dust
Blings/SS both being basically a semi slick with the DHF edge tread. The only thing they don't cope with is greasy grass off cambers where a spike/shorty is probably the one. They fling off dirt and clear better/faster than pretty much any other tyre as they're super fast rolling and there's not a lot for it to cling to in the first place. To get the best from this set up you need to get used to the lack of straightline rear braking (but the awesome braking characteristics of the DHRII makes up for that) , enjoy the enhanced (controlled) driftability and get used to leaning them over to connect the edge when you need the grip to return. (May well be teaching grandma to suck eggs here but felt the need to explain)
You like the SS even in the wet? I would like to try them for summer but they must be sketchy when the rainy season comes.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You don't have to apologize to me for not liking him, I've never met him, nor do I really care whether or not you do. I'm just saying you're making an awful lot of assumptions about what drives him and gets him pumped, and he probably deserves the benefit of the doubt. I've met way the fuck more awesome mountain bikers than shitlords, in general people tend to be pretty nice in this sport. I aint no Jesus humpin bible thumpin Gwin is our savior cultist, just think he's probably a pretty nice guy who likes mountain bikes a lot, like most of the other people on the circuit (except Lord Bummer)
I'm no big fan of Gwin, but I agree with your sentiment. I'm going to guess you're kidding (a bit) about Gee. He seems to get a bad rap around these parts, but he's still fast and fuck and one of the few riders that have had real success at Rampage and the WC.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm no big fan of Gwin, but I agree with your sentiment. I'm going to guess you're kidding (a bit) about Gee. He seems to get a bad rap around these parts, but he's still fast and fuck and one of the few riders that have had real success at Rampage and the WC.
I was. I like Gee, I think he's super driven to ride his bike fast, and I think he's really disappointed and upset when he doesn't ride it as fast as he thinks he is capable of. I still think he is one of, if not the best all around mountain biker on the planet. Dude shreds real hard, and is super competitive, nothing wrong with that.

That said, I'd rather go ride with and hang out with most other riders on the circuit before him.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I was never a Gee fan, I think his intensity and competitiveness, hating to lose, is misunderstood and people just write him off as being a prick. I gained so much respect for him especially when he raced Val di sole (of all tracks) with a broken thumb, and his hand taped to the bar. At this stage of his career he came back from an insane hip injury, in what seemed like record time, to lay it all on the line, for the love of the sport. Guy is all Heart and Balls, How can you not root for a guy like that? He made a fan of me over the years, and was super chill and talkative at the afterparty at Mt St, Anne

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You like the SS even in the wet? I would like to try them for summer but they must be sketchy when the rainy season comes.
Oh totally. You'll often see WC pros switching to the Minion SS 60a for steep, wet rooty courses. Anyone who suggests that a soft compound tyre is required just needs to learn to ride within the limits of traction of the tyre.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
There’s also a picture somewhere of Gee peeing on Minnaar’s V10.

That probably means he is not Lord Bummer 100% of the time and is able to have fun as well. (That, or he was having bladder issues at that time).

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Oh totally. You'll often see WC pros switching to the Minion SS 60a for steep, wet rooty courses. Anyone who suggests that a soft compound tyre is required just needs to learn to ride within the limits of traction of the tyre.
Oh @Gary R , I believe Mr. Toodles just had a go at you.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
There’s also a picture somewhere of Gee peeing on Minnaar’s V10.

That probably means he is not Lord Bummer 100% of the time and is able to have fun as well. (That, or he was having bladder issues at that time).
I think he said in an interview somewhere that his stern demeanor is just what we would call his resting b*tch face or something like that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know he just had a top20, but IMO Trek needs to free up some £££ by dropping a couple Athertons so as to give 2-3 more young riders a chance instead.

Rachel should be more than confident enough to travel on her own now.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I live in Scotland there is rarely a dry month nevermind season.
What can I say? One man's idea of sketchy is another man's idea of fun.
I like dry tyres in the wet (haven't bothered with wet tyres since I stopped racing 15yrs back) an SS handles just like a DHF in the rear but clears mud better. its poor for braking. (a DHF isn't great at that either)

Last edited: