Quantcast

Leogang Lizard Cup 2018

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I live in Scotland there is rarely a dry month nevermind season.
What can I say? One man's idea of sketchy is another man's idea of fun.
I like dry tyres in the wet (haven't bothered with wet tyres since I stopped racing 15yrs back) an SS handles just like a DHF in the rear but clears mud better. its poor for braking. (a DHF isn't great at that either)
I was surprised by the Minion SS/Rock Razor/Slaughters I ran for a couple of seasons. They do really well in almost all conditions except for claggy mud, in which case they were useless (except for in hard cornering). I was running them with a DHF in the front, so maybe that contributed to the scariness in braking. I found I had to ride the brakes a lot, and my braking points had to move back like 30-40%. I didn't find it pleasurable. I thought of maybe running them as a summer tire, and running an Aggressor (or even DHR2) as a fall/spring tire, but that was too much work. I just run an Aggressor year round now. on the back wheel.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was surprised by the Minion SS/Rock Razor/Slaughters I ran for a couple of seasons. They do really well in almost all conditions except for claggy mud, in which case they were useless (except for in hard cornering). I was running them with a DHF in the front, so maybe that contributed to the scariness in braking. I found I had to ride the brakes a lot, and my braking points had to move back like 30-40%. I didn't find it pleasurable. I thought of maybe running them as a summer tire, and running an Aggressor (or even DHR2) as a fall/spring tire, but that was too much work. I just run an Aggressor year round now. on the back wheel.
I've run a DHF up front and SS/Bling/BBG rear on loads of bikes from hardtails to Enduro/DH bikes. it turns a bike into a sledge when braking on loose surfaces. But I like that feeling. Infact I've been doing it so long that if I ride a bike with 2 good braking tyres I have to re-calibrate braking points the other way and get used to trusting the extra straight line grip. I'm not sure I could quantify either in percentages though. ;)

The first time I used a DHRII up front was a revelation. When I first used it on a couple of really steep loose local tracks and realised I could stoppie down stuff I'd previously have struggled to slow the bike down nevermind be able to come to a stop on with a DHF.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
minion SS not so good in snow. can confirm.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
The first time I used a DHRII up front was a revelation. When I first used it on a couple of really steep loose local tracks and realised I could stoppie down stuff I'd previously have struggled to slow the bike down nevermind be able to come to a stop on with a DHF.
True. I just loaded up on some last night. Chain Reaction was selling the 3c version for $41. :rockout: