Quantcast

Les Gets Questions

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
I am planning a trip to Europe, trying to get some info on Les Gets but most everything is in French - surprise surprise.

When does the snow melt and DH start in Les Gets? I am planning to get there in Mid-June.
Are the rental DH bikes decent there?
Are the lifts open for DH 7 days a week?
Any other suggestions for accomodations? I figure I will just find a cheap hostel when I get there.

mccett

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Snow melts about April but they have had huge dumps in the last few weeks all across europe.
As for when DH starts, more important is when the lifts open. Main lifts in les Gets and Morzine open about Mid-Late June to get you up the Les Gets 2 and old World Cup course (fenced off in places) and the Pleney Mt in Morzine.

The lifts in the whole area open up the last wekend in June/1st wkend in July with the Freeraid Festival - well worth doing as you get to see more of the area and some awesome riding against the clock with all yoru food and drink included (inlcuding beer and wine - those Euros eh!)

Rental DH bikes range from dodgy Euro trash to Santa Cruz Bullits/V10s, Konas ets. Expect to pay around £100 a day though... $200. I'd bring your own if you can, they run their levers the wrong way round, or maybe thats the right way for you guys - front brake left hand??? Recipe for disaster to a UK rider anyway.

You can go to the Tourist Office in Les Gets and in June they should hook you up no problem with a small apartment to yourself for around £150 a week - most are not used a great deal in summer.

If you want to ask any mroe questins, you will get a lot of 'advice' on www.southerndownhill.com - be warned though, most Users on there havent ridden past the end of their street.

Have a great trip.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there are a bunch of outfits which will arrange transfers and lodging for you (the closest airport is geneva, about 45-60 min drive away. i stayed in morzine last year, and it's a bit more central. les gets is out at one end, adn you've got to ride the road down to morzine and get the super morzine lift if you want to head over to the swiss side. you can get to les gets easily from morzine by taking the morzine lift and riding down to les gets.

here's a decent site (in english):

http://www.portesdusoleil.com/hiver/index.php?lang=en

good luck! i went last year and had a blast. one word of note. bring spare parts with you, as availability is a bit spotty (no shop had boxxer seals? :confused: ) and the prices are fairly steep (although tire prices were reasonable).

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Thanks guys, sounds like I should stay at Morzine instead of Les Gets and ride them both. I will also schedule riding at the very end of my trip.

I plan to rent a dual sport motorcycle for part of the trip as well, was planing to explore the back roads of the Alps rather than focusing exclusively on the touristy big cities. Let me know if you have any suggestions for that as well.

Cheers