Quantcast

less dollars for the TV industry

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
i was watching that silly oval track dummy race today, and the feed cut out. apparently some US companies are pissed that CANUCKS are "stealing" satellite transmissions.

the issue is that in CANADA, you can get a dish and two receivers that get all satellite transmissions that it can pick up. all you need is a fifty-five percent signal. this "theft" is represented, i guess, by information technology. counter to this is CANADIAN LAW describing the use of TV signals and unsolicited gifts: if somebody sends you something you didn't ask for, then you allowed to keep it and don't have to pay anything. also, you can't trademark a signal.

physically, it is difficult (if not impossible) to stop these errants signals from reaching CANADIAN property holders. my property, my business so to speak.

do these TV companies have any power to stop this? would they be willing to trade for some soft lumber? i don't know. i think i'll get one of these dishes.... just because its illegal down south doesn't mean the north has to agree.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by slein
i was watching that silly oval track dummy race today, and the feed cut out. apparently some US companies are pissed that CANUCKS are "stealing" satellite transmissions.

the issue is that in CANADA, you can get a dish and two receivers that get all satellite transmissions that it can pick up. all you need is a fifty-five percent signal. this "theft" is represented, i guess, by information technology. counter to this is CANADIAN LAW describing the use of TV signals and unsolicited gifts: if somebody sends you something you didn't ask for, then you allowed to keep it and don't have to pay anything. also, you can't trademark a signal.

physically, it is difficult (if not impossible) to stop these errants signals from reaching CANADIAN property holders. my property, my business so to speak.

do these TV companies have any power to stop this? would they be willing to trade for some soft lumber? i don't know. i think i'll get one of these dishes.... just because its illegal down south doesn't mean the north has to agree.
um....i won't say anthing if i can come over and watch tv. i'll bring the beverages:D

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I thought the CRTC deemed US dishes illegal....

That's the one thing I'm dreading about moving home. No more Comedy Central or Speedvison........

I think if Canadians want to pay for the dish, we should be allowed to receive US programming

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
yeah, i remember something about US dishes being illegal too. it was the summer of a year gone past. i miss the summer. i wish it would come back.

i'm under the impression, however, that these dishes are legal because they only receive info, and don't transmit. i don't like looking at CRTC legislation because they don't let you say "****" anywhere.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
i just found the best deal: a dish and two receivers for CDN$350. i'll never have to pay for TV again. and, the best thing is that it will pay for itself after three months! hah!

just as i download every mp3 that i like to listen too. i mean, like really, do these movie and rock stars need to be so rich?