Quantcast

Lets see you xc bikes

Sep 26, 2011
Good looking bike Guido. On those tires that you were talking about... grab a set of AKA's instead. They don't look like much, but they grip far better than the Saguaro in the corners. Very popular tire on the race circuit out here.
Thanks, I'll look into that one...the stock BR 2.2 tire OFFICIALLY sucks. I rode in a light to occasionally moderate drizzle today, the kind that doesn't create any real mud, but slicks up roots and rocks pretty good. That tire caked up, slid out, basically inspired _zero_ confidence, and I slammed in a tight corner as a result. They are going...somewhere, not sure where yet.

On order:

Spank Spike 777 EVO, 50mm bar (white)
Lizard Grip Peaty's, white w/ red and blue clamps
XT M785 brake lever to replace the demolished M666
Chain guide (E-13?) for 1x10 conversion (white)

The bike is going to be one white-ass ride.

Overall, I've been pretty happy with the bike...though this is my first Fox fork, and I'm not overly impressed with it thus far. It's kind of harsh even at 75psi (I'm 200lbs). The Lefty was hands-down one of the best shocks I have ever rode...it was plush as all hell while never feeling too squishy; seems I never felt the terra more than I needed to. It just seemed "smart" - giving me just enough feel to let me know it was working. The Fox seems to want to transfer so much more of the bump to the rider...lots of aches and occasional numbness in hairy stretches.

meattray

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Specs, details!!?? Man that bike looks like an absolute killer
XTR trail,shifters,shifting mechanisms,cassette,chain, 2X10,and pedals
XT brakes ,they were out of XTRs trail at shop and distributors. 180 rotors but might go back to 160 these brakes work way to well.
fox 32 140 kashima coated,
joplin 4 seat post,
easton haven stem, sun line bars,
chris bling headset.
stan's flow rims to Hope pro EVo hubs.

reg rear mech. I have my DH bike when riding hard so no single ring for this ride. the chain stays on pretty well when bouncing around in Angel fire, as long as i pedal every once and awhile it goes back on fine.

i like having the front gears for climbing cause I suck at it.
this is my first bike for going up hill starting to love it but I love thrashing down on it as well.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Hopefully I'll see my new XC bike in "2 weeks" so I can ride with Mr. John.
I think I'm going to make it shiny and put stickers on it.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
bike looks good mickey!! its a start for sure. we need to start planning the ride. do you have couch space for surfing? that might be a good idea. for how far it is a day trip would be very tiring.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
also, i really can't get over how many frames you just have sitting around.
Dude, I have so much more **** than that i have an entire second floor filled with useless crap. I might get around to rebuilding all of the early '90s dh bikes I have, but probabally not.
There is an entire room with a floor covered in cycling shoes. I find myself going up there and staring at them sometimes. I'm not sure what to make of it...

As far as lodging:
There is a futon in the shop (sized like a normal bed, whatever size that is) and about 1200sqft of shop space. Camping gear too. It has a Hi-Fi with a record player!
There is also a hobo camp down by the river and another one by the rail yard. The one by the tracks is pretty rough.
Mead and other powerfull honey-based fermented beverages are made here in the building and various local brewieries have many fine Greenfield-made beverages on tap in the inscrutably delicious dining establishments.
We're something like 3.5 hours from Diablo, 3 hours from the city proper.

Half an hour south of Mt. Snow. If you take the back way to Mt. Snow Greenfield is the traffic circle where you get off.

Matty is looking at 3.5 hour drive from Portland, not sure where he lives up there.
Come, we'll tell ghost stories and stuff.
There are a couple great campgrounds that are abandoned this time of year.

Back on topic:
The bike I was riding most of the spring until I sold the wheels and rapidly thereafter broke my hand;

19 pound 26" singlespeed, 63mm Reba, 2"tubulars on ENVE rims. 30" handlebars and most importantly a 69deg headtube, 70deg seatube and a 12.6" bb with 17" stays. It's a really excellent bike except if you need to sit down. With such a slack seatangle seated pedaling sucks. Besides that it's pretty close to exactly what a singlespeed should be. Long stays and slack seatangles are the key to standing traction.

It's so light and stable that you can absolutely blast straight through the rough stuff gapping everything like Minaar in Maribor. Hold on and huck it. It corners way too well.

Weight distribution.
Love it. Live it. Know it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also matty is in southern maine, so it should be about a similar length trip for him. i'll take this to email and we can get ourselves sorted.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I have a '01 M1, 2000 S-works, 03 Giant, A Hyper-Factory IH SGS(03+04+05 parts+extensive drilling and filing) a couple of R9's, and a Splinter MXS
Add in all of the OG Spookys, 3 Pitbosses, 1997 ProjectX, 2 Metalheads and a prototype Motorhead and then my test mule Sinister hardtail protos, 2 DNA frames(one like my old metalheads but with different drops and one overbuilt freestyle variant), Mustang#1 and the first of the modern lightweight Ridge frames and you have a pretty good swatch of cool bikes from those fin di siecle times we all miss and love.
There are a lot more of my old Spooky and Sinister frames that are floating around out there. They certainly get more use than when they sit around doing nothing at the shop. The funny thing about stuff that FTW builds is that it lasts a really long time...

There are, of course, other frames laying around too. Also, I make and sell bikes, so there's all of those things.

It's all way too much work for one person.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
19 pound 26" singlespeed, 63mm Reba, 2"tubulars on ENVE rims. 30" handlebars and most importantly a 69deg headtube, 70deg seatube and a 12.6" bb with 17" stays. It's a really excellent bike except if you need to sit down. With such a slack seatangle seated pedaling sucks. Besides that it's pretty close to exactly what a singlespeed should be. Long stays and slack seatangles are the key to standing traction.
I love that it's so low key to be such a fast/light bike. To the untrained eye, it would look like a beater.

I forgot you were a frame builder, I should get you to take a look at the geometry of the custom ti 29er that I'm having built. Bet you could give some really useful input.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
To the untrained eye, it would look like a beater.

I forgot you were a frame builder, I should get you to take a look at the geometry of the custom ti 29er that I'm having built. Bet you could give some really useful input.
It is a beater! Take what you have laying around and bolt it together and you get a beater.

29'r? Make it slacker.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hehe... I have a hard time calling it a beater when it's a custom geo bike with carbon rims and tubulars that comes in at 19lbs. More like a SS race bike disguised as a beater :)

the term you're looking for is a "sleeper"... not much of a looker, but its what's under the hood that counts.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Ohhh man. So this is the makings of the rumored excursion to Western Mass you have been telling me about Jon?
Mickey, It was excellent tearing apart Jiminy closing day and conversing on the lift. we should go on some more 2 wheeled adventures. -PJ.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ohhh man. So this is the makings of the rumored excursion to Western Mass you have been telling me about Jon?
Mickey, It was excellent tearing apart Jiminy closing day and conversing on the lift. we should go on some more 2 wheeled adventures. -PJ.
Yea, but i'd probably take the SX, not the yeti. The yeti is still sitting in a box and I don't have all the parts I need for it. I don't plan on riding that until the spring.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I rode from my house to the liquor store twice today. Legs feel great. Now that the snow is falling I bet I'll finally be able how to do big skids on my fixed gear too. Life dream

An xc race hardtail is actually pretty awesome around here if you want to pin it.
You really have to want to gun it though, like all the way pinned.
Throttling non-stop gets old but there is nothing better than being slightly under-biked on the downhills. That's how you shred.
The whole thing wears on ya pretty darn fast if you're not some sort of fitness maniac since you have to also go full-bore up the hills.
****s is tiring.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh yes. it was not designed for a suspension fork. so the a2c on the z1 cranks the whole thing up :rofl:

to be fair, that frame was my very first REAL mountain bike. I've never been able to bear parting with it, so it lives on.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I love it. One of my favoritest bikes. Perfect setup with the Lyric fork. It has a DH bike feel to it, but is still light and pedals well being a hardtail.

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
622080_10151154820277309_706746283_o.jpg886106_10151346577876903_1235312629_o.jpg

These are my two rigs for the season
2011 Fuji Reveal 1.0 (stock except for dropper and Maxxis Minions)
2013 Fuji SLM 1.0 Carbon (Running XX1!) (Still waiting for it to come in :/)

Unless I am on my cross bike then thats a different thready all together.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Lately it seems I"ve been riding less and less, so I build myself an old Brodie Kinetic frame as an SS. But then we moved to a new town, still small but a bit bigger than the last one at least, although pretty much flat (the other town had a dh track nearby).But I found a new job, it was riding distance so earning money plus being able to ride to work made for a perfect excuse for a new bike!

IT's my first carbon frame to boot (it was on sale for just under half price as it's a 2010 model I believe (new not used Apollo Taos C) and because we were buying two bikes we got a slightly better price. I've transferred a few bits from the old bike (wider bar, shorter stem for a start) but other than that my Husband has said I"m not allowed to change stuff :(
His bike is the same as mine just a size up (LBS had the two on the floor discounted)....he might ride more often when he's home and I've got days off work :)

apollo1.jpg

This is my old bike that I've pretty much replaced now
view.jpg

Looove that view on the way home from work on a sunny day, makes up for riding sealed paths rather than dirt!

Last edited: