Quantcast

lets talk about Banner forrest

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a friend who just got a mtn. bike, she's actually been riding a $99.00 bike for about five or more years and just got a decent one.

she lives by Banner forrest so I said we could ride there but it looks a bit too simple.

isn't there some other place in that general area that has trails as well? or are there some good trails at banner that aren't too crowded on the weekend?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by pnj
I have a friend who just got a mtn. bike, she's actually been riding a $99.00 bike for about five or more years and just got a decent one.

she lives by Banner forrest so I said we could ride there but it looks a bit too simple.

isn't there some other place in that general area that has trails as well? or are there some good trails at banner that aren't too crowded on the weekend?
Were the heck is Banner Forest?

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Snacks
Sorry, can't help you at all. :p
I should have seen that one coming.....

Green mountian sounds good, I'll look into that one.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by pnj
I should have seen that one coming.....

Green mountian sounds good, I'll look into that one.
Now Greem Mountain I know :) Great trails. Nice place to ride, and the climb is easier than Tiger, just longer.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
cool, I'd rather take her to green mtn. it looks like more of a real trail instead of just flat dirt paths.

do you think it will have alot of other people on the trial (green mtn) and is it easy to NOT get lost?
the last thing I want to do is take a noobie out and get them lost and have them turn into a roadie because of it. I just couldn't live w/ myself if I did that....:p

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I work with peeps from port torchard. From what theyve told me banner is fun, but nothing to write home about. Green Mountain is a blast. Plan a ride there and let everyone know. Im sure you could get some people to join in, and maybe direct you so you dont get lost....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by pnj
cool, I'd rather take her to green mtn. it looks like more of a real trail instead of just flat dirt paths.

do you think it will have alot of other people on the trial (green mtn) and is it easy to NOT get lost?
the last thing I want to do is take a noobie out and get them lost and have them turn into a roadie because of it. I just couldn't live w/ myself if I did that....:p
It's not hard to get lost there. Like Oly said, if you post the ride I'm sure some peeps would tag along. Just make sure you ride the fire road up!!!

If the weather is nice you need to watch up for hikers coming up the trail.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'd post a ride right now but I need to check w/ my friend first and I won't be able to contact her until after work.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
doing some google action but not finding too much on Green Mtn.

someone told me they are logging up there and you now have to go up the other side?

do you need a permit to park there?
is it an easy place to find?

I want to have an much info as possible so when I talk to my friend I don't end up sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about (usually the case with me:p )

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by pnj

someone told me they are logging up there and you now have to go up the other side?

I want to have an much info as possible so when I talk to my friend I don't end up sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about (usually the case with me:p )
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/base/tahuya/

I think they mean a part of Tahuya forest (aka as Bellfair the town) It has tons of trails and you can get lost. Their map isn't really up to date but you can eventually find your way back. :D

Rhino

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by pnj

Talk to Skookum about directions on how to get there.

They are logging up there, but they have cut a new trail to go around the logged area.

You don't need a pass to park there.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Green Mountain State Forest — 2004 Season

Green Mountain Campground and Vista are open for drive in access between June 1 to October 15 on weekends only.

Gate will be open at 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturdays and Sundays for Day Use and overnight camping. Campground will also be open Labor Day and the Fourth of July. (DNR has an agreement with Back Country Horsemen of Washington - Olympic Chapter to adopt facilities and maintain the gate system for specific periods.)

Green Mountain gates are locked. Access is limited to trails during winter months.

"NO MOTORIZED USE" and "No Off Road vehicle Use” on all other Green Mountain forest roads. During the spring and summer seasons street legal motorized traffic will be allowed on GM 1 road and GM 3 road while gates are open. Otherwise roads are closed unless posted open.
Trails

Approved trails maintained and managed by DNR with volunteer help.

About 11 miles of sanctioned marked trails are open.

Use caution storms or use patterns may create hazards. Trails are two way ride at a safe speed.

Many hikers use the trails as well please ride responsibly.

Trailheads

Wildcat Trailhead - Open year round for all trail users.
Gold Creek Trailhead – Open year around. * Note under the proposed budget there will be no funding for this site. As a result services may be greatly reduced.

Originally posted by pnj

When I was up there last they were logging up at the top. It didn't seem to effect trail access, although it did wipe out a short section of isolated trail.

You can either go up the wild cat side (most common) or the Gold creek side. They usually have maps at the trail head (no promises).

I'd try to give you directions to the wildcat trail head, but I'm sure you'd end up in Portland or something. (I'm directionally challenged;)

There are basically 3 trails....not a lot to choose from, but all good stuff.

Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Map looks like it isn't part of Tahuya, sorry.
http://www.dnr.wa.gov/dataandmaps/maps/pdf/gm_map_pho.pdf
That's the place, this link might help you find it, along with some reviews.

http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=1722&trail_name=Widcat Trail Mountain Bike Trail

You can probably pick up a map at the trailhead. I would print the one Rhino linked to just in case.

My recomendation is...

Start at the wildcat trailhead.
Ride up the trail until you cross dirt road, take dirt road to top (use the map).
Take the Beaver pond trail until it crosses dirt road, climb back to the top.
Take the wildcat trail to the bottom.

If your feeling adverterous....take the Gold creek trail to the bottom, then climb to the top again before heading down wildcat.

Hope this helps, great riding!!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by PsychO!1

If your feeling adverterous....take the Gold creek trail to the bottom, then climb to the top again before heading down wildcat.

Dude! That's my fav :) Did that route with Skookum and some other :monkey: 's last month and it was a great ride. Good workout!

Originally posted by Snacks
Dude! That's my fav :) Did that route with Skookum and some other :monkey: 's last month and it was a great ride. Good workout!
Sometimes we take the big bikes and hike up the road from the Gold creek side. Gold creek trail is a frick'n ripper on a big bike!!! (you can't even feel the hikers under your tires:D )

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I hear there have been car break in's at Gold Creek parking area. Meth head activity on the rise on that side of the mountain i guess.

Take Chico Way exit past Bremerton. Hang a left take a right to get to Seabeck. Go for a ways hang a left on Holly Rd. Past the gas station a ways Wildcat trailhead.

Wildcat Trailhead ride up trail.
Take left GM-41
T's take right on GM-6
T's take right on GM-3
Get back on Wildcat immediately take a right on Beaver Pond
Go across GM-6 and continue Beaver Pond
Comes out take a left on GM-1 instead of continuing on Beaver Pond
Climb up GM-1 to the top you'll see a restroom and the Vista Trail
Climb up Vista Trail check out the views of the Olympics on one side and Seattle/Mt. Baker/Cascades on the other
Ride back down go past restroom Wildcat trailhead ride down to the split.
Take the left onto Gold Creek
Ignore right to Beaver Pond
After little root drop past a tree the trail takes a hard right DON'T MISS THE TURN HERE, if you start a bumpy rock garden section stop and look for the missed turn.
Drop out of trail on Gold Creek parking area look for GM-6 to your left across the creek.
Head up ignore spurs to your right
Come to Y take the hard left onto GM-17
Climb up harsh climb
Wildcat will be to your right
Stay on Wildcat all the way back to parking lot
done.....

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Hey, don't criticize Banner. That's my home turf. I live just a few minutes up the road. If you monkeys are having rides there make sure you invite me. And it isn't that flat. It is true that it doesn't have any big hills, but it does have quite a bit of up and down on small hills. Check out an elevation map.

Anyway as far as where it's located for driving directions. It's a squarish section of woods that's on the northwest corner of the intersection between Banner Rd and Olalla Valley Rd on this map . If anyone needs directions there or to be shown around contact me and I should be able to.

slomoking

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
Gig Harbor, WA
Lots of new stuff at Banner. Try out the new Oakland trail, it will definitely give you a work out. I rode at Tahuya Saturday and it is still very muddy.

Sorry about the crappy pic, what the best way to reduce the size of a pic to fit on here?

Attachments

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I didn't want to take my friend 'mountain biking' and have the trails be simple flat trails. sounds like Banner isn't as bad as I thought, thats cool we'll have to check it out.

Skookum, i didn't take your directions because I figured she wouldn't be able to do the whole loop. turns out she rode very well, and we could have done the whole thing.

as it was, we rode up wildcat to vista and back down. she had a blast and wants to do more trial riding. up to this point she has only ridden on the road.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pnj said:
I didn't want to take my friend 'mountain biking' and have the trails be simple flat trails. sounds like Banner isn't as bad as I thought, thats cool we'll have to check it out.

Skookum, i didn't take your directions because I figured she wouldn't be able to do the whole loop. turns out she rode very well, and we could have done the whole thing.

as it was, we rode up wildcat to vista and back down. she had a blast and wants to do more trial riding. up to this point she has only ridden on the road.
right on! glad to hear you and your pal had a great time. like PsychoMike sez, there's good gravity at Green. :thumb:
always good to see monkeys getting people hooked on trails of dirt.

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
Skookum said:
i've never done Banner, it's high time Knobbz showed it to me.......
SOOOO VNO is going to be in town....Lets hit up Banner say
530 or 600....Then go for eats afterwards in Gig Harbor.

oh yeah all are welcome to ride with....if ya can dig some XC :p

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
Knobularlife said:
SOOOO VNO is going to be in town....Lets hit up Banner say
530 or 600....Then go for eats afterwards in Gig Harbor.

oh yeah all are welcome to ride with....if ya can dig some XC :p
Plus were gonna find the new stuff that was just opened.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Knobularlife said:
Amy Im shocked! you didn't call me a Dork.

Friday
530 poss 600
:D
Thanks, dork :p

Yo! Where is this Banner Forest place? Kinda in the same area as the Valentine's Day Challenge?

slomoking

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
Gig Harbor, WA
Snacks said:
Yo! Where is this Banner Forest place? Kinda in the same area as the Valentine's Day Challenge?
HWY16 west across the Narrows, go about 10 -12 miles to Mulinix (sp) exit (first exit after the 50 mph zone). Make a right off the exit and go 4-5 miles to stop sign (volunteer fire dept on your left) and make a left. Follow this for 2 -3 miles until the next stop sign and make a left. Go 1 - 2 miles Banner main entrance will be on your left.

So from 16 Mulinix exit: right, left, left, on your left.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Knobularlife said:
Amy Im shocked! you didn't call me a Dork.

Friday
530 poss 600
:D
with traffic that will be almost impossible for me to make, they took me off the Tacoma job. :mumble:
hmmmmmmm...................

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Allright...just back from Boston. Sounds like we're riding Banner on Friday? Makes no difference to me. I'll be in on the 124 flight...hopefully. I'll give you a call when I have the rental and am headed into Fife.