Quantcast

Let's Talk Netbooks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So last night while I was asleep, one of my cats decided to knock a glass of water over. This wouldn't have been a problem, except my Macbook happened to be in the path of the water's destruction, and now it won't even turn on. I've taken the battery out and put it somewhere warm in the hopes that this will remedy the situation, but my hopes aren't very high. So if anyone has any advice on how to fix it, that'd be great.

BUT! If it's not fixable, I'll be in the market for something new. And I plan on going with a netbook. Anyone have any experiences yet? Brands to recommend/avoid? Will it be worth waiting till Win7 is out? Or buy an xp model and install Linux?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I'd take of the covers and try letting it dry out.

If you buy new you'll get a free 7 upgrade. Also plenty of ways to get a free/super cheap upgrade, especially if you still have your college email.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd take of the covers and try letting it dry out.
That's something else I was gonna try, just didn't have the time to this morning before work.

If you buy new you'll get a free 7 upgrade. Also plenty of ways to get a free/super cheap upgrade, especially if you still have your college email.
Forgot about the upgrade. And unfortunately, I no longer have my college email; I graduated 2+ years ago.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Opened up the case last night, turned on as of this morning! Woo! Currently isn't recognizing the battery, so I will give it more time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
at leas the computer is working. batteries are cheaper than laptops
That's the thing... the computer was running from the battery (power adapter wasn't plugged in, it was at first but then I unplugged it to test the battery), but it wasn't being recognized by the OS :confused:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh, there is some supervisor wiring in batteries and a microchip that allows it to communicate with the computer. The computer has no knowledge of the battery's capacity or anything, so the battery is programmed to constantly feed the computer the information.

The chip or the wiring is probably having issues with the water. Could even be the supervisor wiring in the computer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, I was not aware of that - thanks for the info. There's a casing of sorts on the battery (kinda like the metal frame that laptop harddrives are placed in) - should i remove that to try to get it to dry out? Or does it all just need more time?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can if you want, just be cautious working on the battery. They're not really designed to be very serviceable. Leaving it some place warm (warm, not hot) may fix it.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
To some of your original questions:

1. We use a bunch of these at work - the HPs seem to be the best. I'd avoid the Asus, not very reliable and we've had issues with the touch pads.

2. If I were buying soon, I'd probably try to wait until the new ones with the nVidia ION graphics chip come out (like the HP Mini 311). This chip is much better than the integrated Intel 945. The nVidia chip will provide accelerated graphics and HD video.

3. Yes, you want Win7 -- mine runs much faster with that system on it. You can either wait, or flatten the machine and rebuild it when Win7 comes out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To some of your original questions:

1. We use a bunch of these at work - the HPs seem to be the best. I'd avoid the Asus, not very reliable and we've had issues with the touch pads.

2. If I were buying soon, I'd probably try to wait until the new ones with the nVidia ION graphics chip come out (like the HP Mini 311). This chip is much better than the integrated Intel 945. The nVidia chip will provide accelerated graphics and HD video.

3. Yes, you want Win7 -- mine runs much faster with that system on it. You can either wait, or flatten the machine and rebuild it when Win7 comes out.

Thanks for the info.

1) I've heard the ASUS ones are hit or miss. Any experience with Samsung? I've talked to a couple people with them and they didn't seem to have any major issues.

2) Cool wasn't aware. I will def keep that as criteria.

3) I'm between Win 7 and Linux. I've heard good things about 7, but haven't had any hands on time. Def think it will be time to give it a whirl. But I will avoid getting a copy the way this guy did: http://www.cracked.com/blog/using-windows-7-may-lead-to-murder/

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
Samsung is quite good as well - I don't personally have any experience with this one, but a couple co-workers have them and they have been very solid. The reviews of the Samsungs seem to be good as well.

I'm a little biased, but I have found Win7 to be fantastic - it runs very well on a netbook (vs. what you might expect from Vista). I did run an Asus with Linux for awhile and didn't really like it as well.

That's a funny article - that guy got owned. Well it releases in a couple weeks, so it won't be long now...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Any updates here boys and girls? I'm buying tomorrow and it will be definitely a back up computer/travel computer. Anything to definitely avoid? Not expecting wonderfullnessment but want to avoid craptacularness as well. Got an eye on the Lenovo S10 series as well as the Aspire One and one of the myriad Asus Eee. I-Pad or similar is not on the menu much as I think they're pretty nifty. Netbook only.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you want to play HD video on it, make sure your chipset is capable of it. NVIDIA's ION chipset does this, and accelerates Flash as well. I think Intel has an equivalent but I don't know what it's called.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Just to update, I ended up getting the Lenovo S10-3 for no other reason than it was on special and $80 saved when you're spending only $400 is quite a bit. It has Windows 7 Starter on it and I definitely think Microsoft is on a winner with 7. You sacrifice speed with these little computers but the portability is a real plus for when you're moving around. Connecting wirelessly I get much higher speeds on the netbook too than on my low-end Dell laptop. All things considered you get quite a lot for your money. Verdict- Like a fist full of codeine. Contented.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Just to update, I ended up getting the Lenovo S10-3 for no other reason than it was on special and $80 saved when you're spending only $400 is quite a bit. It has Windows 7 Starter on it and I definitely think Microsoft is on a winner with 7. You sacrifice speed with these little computers but the portability is a real plus for when you're moving around. Connecting wirelessly I get much higher speeds on the netbook too than on my low-end Dell laptop. All things considered you get quite a lot for your money. Verdict- Like a fist full of codeine. Contented.
nice to hear you like it. my mother wanted a Ipad, but i convinced her to get a netbook instead and the Lenovo's were the top of my list for her.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Update 2 after travelling. Laptop in-seat power on planes rules and must be made mandatory. 10.1 screen size perfect. On the shopping list, 2gb ram stick, 6 cell battery.