Quantcast

Levi disco's!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
hummm seems like a tour gc rider to me. big george will probably jump ship if levi get's the nod (my opinion.)

Leipheimer to Discovery
Levi Leipheimer is leaving the Gerolsteiner team at the end of the season, and will sign for Discovery Channel, which is expected to confirm this later today. According to Gerolsteiner's bike sponsor Specialized, Leipheimer called them after the Tour to announce his transfer to the Discovery Channel team, effective January 1, 2007. "My best results, wins at the Tour of Germany and Dauphiné Libéré, happened on my S-Works Tarmac SL, but Discovery (Channel) made me an offer I could not refuse," he was quoted as saying, while further expressing his thanks for Specialized's support.

Gerolsteiner spokesman Mathias Wieland told www.Radsport-Aktiv.de, "We had agreed with Levi that we would sit down together after the Tour and make the decision. Levi wanted to know earlier, and told us that he was having discussions with other teams."

Leipheimer is expected to ride the Deutschland Tour, where he is the defending champion.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news2

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i had a dream last night that Cycling news was reporting the death of Hincapie. something about a heart failure. strange.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The Toninator said:
hummm seems like a tour gc rider to me. big george will probably jump ship if levi get's the nod (my opinion.)
Or George will decide he is a better support rider who can go for the occasional win than a G.C. rider.... You may be correct, but I hope you're not. We shall see.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Toninator said:
I don't know. George really likes the spring classics. So if they support him in riding those, I doubt he will go anywhere.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
The Toninator said:
btw - rhode waco for the first time in 2 years saturday. wowouch!
we didnt start till 11ish. 1 lap = 4 water bottles.
I rode with Nando and Rocio a couple of weekends ago starting around 9, and I nearly ended with heat stroke. If I can't hit the trails by 7am, I ain't riding.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmmm, Georgie is back to support for stage races. He could rock the classics if he just focused on those and didn't break anything. :) I guess that's good for Levi, but I hoped they would get a better GC rider for the big stage races. Levi is soooo hit or miss. Miss on this past tour. I don't know why, I've just never really dug the guy.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
They are developing Tom D, but he needs more time.

So far Levi has lacked a really strong team, good tactics, and personal aggression. Disco can immediately offer the first and may be able to teach him the second and third. He may not win the biggest races but Levi can get good results right away while helping develop other riders.

I really like George but I just don't see him as a GC contender in the big tours. He may follow the money and take a big offer but me thinks he should just stay put.

How about George on T-Mobile and the Jan on Disco?!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
toninator - not a fan (not a hater either but not a fan)
he did improve on last years tour place though.
I'd like to see BASSO come over.
I'm going to take a guess here that Ivan won't be racing for the next 2 years or so, the cheek swap from a genetics test will traumatise him sooo much.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Discovery drug program is the best. Look at Landis, Hamilton, and that other guy from Texas...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Speaking of Team Discovery, it's a shame that Ekimov is hanging up the cleats (he could probably roll until he's 50) but it's good to see he's taking on a team director role. With him and Brunyeel at the helm, they will have some serious tactical ability regardless of who's riding for them.
I think bringing Leipheimer back is a good call. He may or may not garnish some big results - at the very least, he'll improve his chances. As mentioned, he can at least help to mentor some of the up-and-comers. Both sides will benefit from his return. And, yes, Hincapie should put all of his focus on the classics and for support/stage wins at the grand tours. It hurt to see him falling backwards day after day during the TdF. At least he got to wear yellow!!!:cool:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Jan in any kit aside from T-Mobile would be the best thing to happen to him. Look at what he did in '03 w/ Bianchi...and that was a total makeshift team. T-Mobile probably couldn't sport a TdF winner even if the rest of the teams walked the race. IMHO, they are one of the worst teams when it comes to racing strategy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
They are developing Tom D, but he needs more time.

So far Levi has lacked a really strong team, good tactics, and personal aggression. Disco can immediately offer the first and may be able to teach him the second and third. He may not win the biggest races but Levi can get good results right away while helping develop other riders.

I really like George but I just don't see him as a GC contender in the big tours. He may follow the money and take a big offer but me thinks he should just stay put.

How about George on T-Mobile and the Jan on Disco?!
Not to start hating, but isn't Tom Danielson 26 years old? Cunego is 23 and Boonen 25?

EDIT, Danielson was born in 78

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
PreTour Levi was excited about his Gero team this year comparing it Rabobank a couple years ago where he was unhappy......not sure what goes through his head. Rabobank on the other hand was strong this year. Then he comes up so small in the first TT, you just cant do that if your a true contender. Not a hater, but i think people need to get over waiting for this guy, he cant get it done. He would make a good 1st lieutenant support rider thats it.......as for Danielson, not sure he has 'the minerals' either.....

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Silver said:
Develop Danielson...hahaha.

Danielson is never going to see the podium at Le Tour.
Maybe... but most would have said the same about Floyd.

Back in the mid 90's when Lance won the World Championships he was pegged as a one-day Classics racer and would never be a Tour contender...

You never know... :nope:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ian F said:
Maybe... but most would have said the same about Floyd.

Back in the mid 90's when Lance won the World Championships he was pegged as a one-day Classics racer and would never be a Tour contender...

You never know... :nope:
No, I'm sure about Tommy D. Floyd at Danielson's age was already a hell of a domestiqe for the most dominant tour rider in history. Has Danielson finished a Tour de France yet? He's 28 already. By the time he has a chance, Cunego is going to be kicking him all over the road.

You want an American darkhorse? If Zabriske can learn to climb...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Yep, and Tyler is getting ready to race in September.
well i'm hearing rumors again. tyler is getting heat again becuase he was named in the operation punto (or whatever.) I'm not sure Tyler is going to get to race UCI ever again.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The Toninator said:
well i'm hearing rumors again. tyler is getting heat again becuase he was named in the operation punto (or whatever.) I'm not sure Tyler is going to get to race UCI ever again.
Next offense for Tyler and he is banned for life.....he is named in 'the spanish inquisition'

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Silver said:
No, I'm sure about Tommy D. Floyd at Danielson's age was already a hell of a domestiqe for the most dominant tour rider in history. Has Danielson finished a Tour de France yet? He's 28 already. By the time he has a chance, Cunego is going to be kicking him all over the road.

Finished? Entered...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Silver said:

If Zabriskie can pull a Lance and learn to climb, you have a MONSTER, but I don't think it's going to happen. Most of the riders on CSC are at the top of their game (according to my roadie neighbors), it seems unlikely he'll do much better in the mountains, especially with his age (28?).

Faster than Lance in the time trials...he just needs to ride up Guardsman more... :p

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
blue said:
If Zabriskie can pull a Lance and learn to climb, you have a MONSTER, but I don't think it's going to happen. Most of the riders on CSC are at the top of their game (according to my roadie neighbors), it seems unlikely he'll do much better in the mountains, especially with his age (28?).

Faster than Lance in the time trials...he just needs to ride up Guardsman more... :p
He needs to get on "The Program"...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
Kind of my point. I guess the sarcasm wasn't thick enough. I should have said OJ also claims to be looking for the real killer.