Quantcast

Lezyne High Volume pump - tubeless tires?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm currently using SKS Rennkompressor for pumping my tubeless. It's a good floorpump but I read somewhere Lezyne has a pump designed for high volume tires. Has anyone tried it? Is it easier to mount tubeless with it?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I have their hex keys and I have to say it was a bit like owning a CB product - very nice but zero durability. Bent very easily. I thought it was a one off problem.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I should probably qualify my response, caus' I don't really want to flame the brand. I've found their stuff to be quirky, but that they don't work so much better than the competition to warrant that "quirkyness". I bought one of their trail pumps. I found that screw-on hose thing such a pain to use, and half the time it wouldn't work at all. Having your friends standing around laughing at your $65 pump, and having to use their $20 pump to inflate your tire leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Then I bought one of their multi-tools. It worked ok, except for the time I didn't tighten my grip lock-ons enough before the ride. It doesn't even have the correct size allen-key to tighten ODI grip locks. wth?!?!?! those things are everywhere... how could you put out a mtb-specific product that doesn't cater to lock-on grips?!?! And lastly, the third item of my dissapointment was the aftermarket pressure gauge that replaces the hose on the pump. It's accuracy was about 10 psi. My thumb is more accurate than that.... All those items have been removed from my camel back and replaced by... they items they were intended to replace. talk about a waste of money.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm a fan of their pumps. I have a standard Classic Floor Drive as well as a Classic Dirt Floor Drive (the high-volume model). The Dirt Floor Drive does indeed push a lot more air through and can seat most tubeless tires. I'm also a fan of the thread-on chuck. It's a solid connection to the valve and I get accurate pressure readings from the gauge. I wouldn't put them in the same class as C'Bros. at all.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
when it comes to tubeless, there really is no standard "it will always work" pump choice. i have tubeless setups that i can barely get to seat with a compressor, and some that seat up fine with a normal floor pump. too many variables for blanket statements. like dogboy said, you want the dirt floor for high volume tires.

we don't make an "mtb" specific tool yet, but in fact we do offer multiple tools with a 2.5mm allen bit. we even offer an allen block with both straight and bent 2.5mm allens (as well as 8 and 10mm box wrenches to tighten loose brake fittings, a presta valve core tool built into the chain breaker, pocket knife etc). its a prefect hydration pack tool/back country tool. building multi-tools is not as easy as people think. there are literally hundreds of tool ideas/combos we get bombarded with, but you have to look at the big picture sometimes. that is why we make a "fix everything in the bush tool" as well as a "all i know how to adjust is the handlebars/seatpost roadie tool". custom tools always seems like a cool idea, but a total nightmare from an product/engineering/inventory control point of view, and the cost would go up exponentially.

the pen gauge you are describing is really oriented to the road crowd, and when it comes to MTB stuff the pressure is so low on most pump gauges that nobody is really accurate anyway. i always use the hand method, as my hand is always accurate. bottom line, you know when you have enough pressure or not, and it you flatted, it wasn't the pumps fault you rode into a rock/root/curb.

and yes, i do work for lezyne. and no, i'm not in the marketing department so take what i say with a grain of salt. i am a rider first and foremost and use the stuff i sell literally everyday. i am well aware of the in's and out's of both the stuff we make as well as our competitors. sometimes all it takes is a simple tutorial on how to use a product like our thread on hose, which unfortunately a lot of bike shops just don't offer these days (or are non-existant for the mail order crowd). we try to have as many video tutorials on our website as possible, detailing nearly all the products we offer and how to correctly use them.

Norbar, did you contact the Polish distributor about the bent hex keys? Which tool was it? Feel free to PM me, i will do what i can to help you out...

Slyfink, PM me. I will take care of your tool needs if you want.

back to your regularly scheduled monkey bashing...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
i have two lezyne products which i love dearly one is a "port-a-shop" toolset which has all the basic tools i ever need for short road trips, and so far it has been reliable and worked like a charm, and i have the travel floor drive pump, which also works nice and inflates my tubeless setup (michelin tires on deemax ultimates) all the time!

btw whats up with "signature series" pumps... rather odd idea there :P

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
descente... like I said at the beginning of my second post, I didn't want to be bashing the company. But it sure came out that way. I was just a cranky whiny b!tch caus' I'm laid up at home sick as a dog, and what I wrote came out wrong. No need for special treatment; I can appreciate the difficulties of designing products that work across the board for a broad range of disciplines. Maybe I should expect my lbs to be more knowledgeable about the products they sell, and carry the stock of products that works for the clientele...

I have friends who have the floor pumps and they're quite happy with them, though for tubeless applications, I honestly think nothing beats a compressor.

Ploutre

Chimp
Dec 11, 2012
@descente I have the micro floor drive pump (without any additionnal tool, like the gauge or special connector, just the basic screw-in one) and I'll have to agree with slyfink, it's really painful to screw in the hose ... last time I had to use it, I also resorted to using a friend's handpump :/

Where could I find the tutorial you mentionned earlier ?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I use the dirt floor drive with good success. I like the large pump dial that only goes to 70psi and the solid connection of the screw nozzle. It makes hitting #s like 32/35 very easy. I will say that you need the v2 chuck that has the pressure release, otherwise, it's a pain to use. I broke the v1 version off and Lezyne sent me the updated v2 chuck w/ pressure release – works well now.