Quantcast

LG1R crank install issues

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
I just bought the 170mm lg1r cranks for my evil undead, i also purchase the 83mm TiNi e13 bb. The spindle is the 123mm and not the 113mm so I know that is not the issue.

I installed as per the instructions.
Greased the threads for the BB. Since it was 83mm I put one black plastic spacer on the drive side bb for installation and none on the non-drive side. I then installed the driveside crank arm and had almost all 100% of the red polygon spindle sitting out as stated in the manual. I greased up the outside of the spindle and inside, mounted it with no spacers, to get the measurement of how many spacers is needed. It was 3 spacers needed, I replaced one spacer with the metal spring spacer. I installed the metal spring spacer, followed by 2 spacers and put the crank arm on. THIS IS WHERE I RUN INTO A PROBLEM: It did not seem to spin freely. So I removed one spacer and tighten and it spun only a tad more freely, but still not as easily as it should. If I tighten more then it will almost not spin at all. When I go out and ride it in my driveway it seems like there is some play in it when I mash down on the cranks.

I have looked for forum posts and went to e13 website for the video to which none of that offered any help. Any ideas? If I cannot get it sorted I will just return and by something else which I dont want to do because these are sick and light for not being carbon. Thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
are you hitting the correct torque spec for the spindle?

i've got the XCX cranks, and compared to my shimano cranks they don't spin quite as freely, but when riding it's not noticeable.

derek or someone should chime in here within a day or 2 with feedback.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the whole spacer thing seemed wonky to me at first, but i was just overthinking it. it's really straightforward. once they were installed i haven't had to touch them.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
I actually ended up putting an additional thick black plastic spacer on the non drive side BB too. The instructions said only 1 on the drive side but that obviously didnt work. It SEEMS to work now, only time will tell