Quantcast

Lids and other PPE

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've pretty much settled for Smith trail bike helmet and TLD full faces. I don't usually wear pads on trail rides.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I got a Smith helmet and that plastic honeycomb crap got loose and rattled around. I still have to send it for warranty.
Back to wearing a Giro somethingorother. It's better ventilated and fits well.

Recently tried a 100% FF and the fit just isn't comfortable. Unfortunately I crashed wearing it before I could sell it. Back to a TLD which fits my big fat head much moar betterer.

General rule is if I need to wear my full face I'm wearing leatt and knee pads. I'd old, I crash, and I don't bounce anymore.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
right now, I'm still wearing a $20 Wal-mart special that's serving its purpose and pretty well ventilated. Currently have a big ass headlamp and battery pack zip tied to it. Upgraded helmet soon.

I'd old, I crash, and I don't bounce anymore.
Hell I'm young, i crash, i usually get shredded by rocks and poked by cacti. Recently switched back to flats on trails I'm unfamiliar with since my first bad wreck needed stiches... I didn't get them, but i should have.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
right now, I'm still wearing a $20 Wal-mart special that's serving its purpose and pretty well ventilated. Currently have a big ass headlamp and battery pack zip tied to it. Upgraded helmet soon.
check out some of the new rechargeable lights. I have a Serfas 900 lumen that is bright enough on high to get you through some dusk rides, but can't weigh 1/4 pound.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
check out some of the new rechargeable lights. I have a Serfas 900 lumen that is bright enough on high to get you through some dusk rides, but can't weigh 1/4 pound.
I got something like this. https://www.amazon.com/InnoGear-Flashlight-Headlight-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B01N0NESTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504279756&sr=8-4&keywords=5000+lumen+headlamp

Helmet stays in my car, will take a pic next time i go to lunch.
Other than the battery pack being off to the side, pulling the helmet to the left due to roadie style helmet shape, its pretty balanced and don't feel the weight. Tightening the helmet fixed the pulling to the left.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I got something like this. https://www.amazon.com/InnoGear-Flashlight-Headlight-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B01N0NESTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504279756&sr=8-4&keywords=5000+lumen+headlamp

Helmet stays in my car, will take a pic next time i go to lunch.
Other than the battery pack being off to the side, pulling the helmet to the left due to roadie style helmet shape, its pretty balanced and don't feel the weight. Tightening the helmet fixed the pulling to the left.
be careful with any light with those specs and that kind of price. cheap chinese stuff doesn't have the same kind of QC that more expensive ones have.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-interviews/a-cheap-chinese-bike-light-nearly-burned-down-this-riders-house/

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I just cracked open the wallet and bought a POC...love it! I have a big nugget, and am hard to fit with helmets, so for me to say that is a pretty big deal. To me anyway. Got it for $110 from Eriks...cheaper than a(nother) TBI for sure.

Also have a MiNewt 600..."only" 600 lumens, but it has served me well in the 5 or so years I have had it. Commuted regularly with it for 3 years, now doesnt get a whole lot of use, but dragged it out the other day to support a local marathon and it charged right up and worked fine for the 2 hours it was in use. What more do you need?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
I just cracked open the wallet and bought a POC...love it! I have a big nugget, and am hard to fit with helmets, so for me to say that is a pretty big deal. To me anyway. Got it for $110 from Eriks...cheaper than a(nother) TBI for sure.
Not bad, and its great to find a good fit at a good price.

Also have a MiNewt 600..."only" 600 lumens, but it has served me well in the 5 or so years I have had it. Commuted regularly with it for 3 years, now doesnt get a whole lot of use, but dragged it out the other day to support a local marathon and it charged right up and worked fine for the 2 hours it was in use. What more do you need?
A spotlight mounted to your bars?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Yep. Thats how I roll. Came with a helmet mount also, but I use the bar mount. My lighting needs are not that great...dont go grinding after dark much.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Understandable, out here in the late spring, summer and early fall, its almost the only time to go without the Yellow Baron trying to melt you and your bike. Its nice enough now in the mornings to go.