Quantcast

Lift Service DH Options?

Tonic

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
Seattle, WA
I've been living in the Pacific Northwest for 10 years and am pondering a move back east. What resorts now offer lift access terrain in the Northeast?

I've got the following so far...
- Highland
- Attitash
- Hunter
- Plattekill
- Wyndham
- Whiteface
- Mount Snow
- Sugarbush
- Jiminy Peak
- Camden Snow bowl
- Sunday River

Lastly, what are the best?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been living in the Pacific Northwest for 10 years and am pondering a move back east. What resorts now offer lift access terrain in the Northeast?

I've got the following so far...
- Highland
- Attitash
- Hunter
- Plattekill
- Wyndham
- Whiteface
- Mount Snow
- Sugarbush
- Jiminy Peak
- Camden Snow bowl
- Sunday River

Lastly, what are the best?
Not sure camden is open, never heard of it. Also not sure that sugabush is open regularly or just during races.

Killington is open regularly, bromont is, various places in PA (seven springs, timberline nearby, blue mountain for races), catamount occasionally (why bother) and a few spots in VA.

Best is subjective. Longest is whiteface at 2700ft with 7-14minute runs.

Best bermz n dropz is diablo or highland. Diablo has a better lift and a better combination of DH trails and freeride stunts. Highland has better freeride trails but very few pure DH trails and like 300ft of vert. Their stuff is built terrible the first time but a few months later it becomes the best you've ridden. Diablo seems to build their stuff right the first time...mostly. Diablo is also in NJ.....meh.

Best natural terrain IMO goes to Plattekill, plus you can camp. There are some good (new) stunts, a few jumps, but mostly it's just natural trails.

Best overall might go to Bromont. They have an excellent combination of good support (good lift and good amenities) with great terrain and a decent amount of vert. I haven't been there in a while, but I had a blast last time I went.

My favorite is still plattekill though, since it's the most affordable (two day pass for 40) and I value natural terrain way more than blown out berms and jumps everywhere. Not saying jumps aren't fun, but crazy technical trails are just so much better. It's DH, not DHBMX.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Not sure camden is open, never heard of it. Also not sure that sugabush is open regularly or just during races.

Killington is open regularly, bromont is, various places in PA (seven springs, timberline nearby, blue mountain for races), catamount occasionally (why bother) and a few spots in VA.

Best is subjective. Longest is whiteface at 2700ft with 7-14minute runs.

Best bermz n dropz is diablo or highland. Diablo has a better lift and a better combination of DH trails and freeride stunts. Highland has better freeride trails but very few pure DH trails and like 300ft of vert. Their stuff is built terrible the first time but a few months later it becomes the best you've ridden. Diablo seems to build their stuff right the first time...mostly. Diablo is also in NJ.....meh.

Best natural terrain IMO goes to Plattekill, plus you can camp. There are some good (new) stunts, a few jumps, but mostly it's just natural trails.

Best overall might go to Bromont. They have an excellent combination of good support (good lift and good amenities) with great terrain and a decent amount of vert. I haven't been there in a while, but I had a blast last time I went.

My favorite is still plattekill though, since it's the most affordable (two day pass for 40) and I value natural terrain way more than blown out berms and jumps everywhere. Not saying jumps aren't fun, but crazy technical trails are just so much better. It's DH, not DHBMX.
Sugarbush is open every weekend, Killington and Bromont are open 7 days a week.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Camden snow bowl trails are regularly open, but lift service rarely is. They have a cool pump track there though.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Is Blue any good? Do they have enough trails? They don't need to be too difficult for me I am a single black rider.:think::D

Jul 15, 2009
AllDayinPA
Jim bones, don't know where you are from but we are seriously putting in alot of time re- grooming all trails and adding 2 new great trails. We just rode the one tonight for the first time and we were all blown away. Nothing too difficult just great flow. The othe is a fun flowy jump trail that looks to be super fun. Hope you can come check it out lift tix will be $20 starting Sept. 12th.

http://verticalearthpa.com

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Vertical,
I am from Long Island. Do you just have 2 trails? If there is decent vertical drop then once you get more trail inventory it could be decent.

Jul 15, 2009
AllDayinPA
Jim bones, we are now up to about 7-10 trails. 2 jump parks, pump track, etc. We have been killing it getting ready to offer some of the best riding in the region. For $20 bucks its more than worth it. Thereare 5 trail heads from the top that can be combined different ways half way down and we do have 1100' vertical. THX man hope to see you there. :D

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The Whiteface ski resort used to put on 3 large festivals each summer. Now they only do Oktoberfest. Meaning they go all out and this is a big event.
If you are a mountain biker you get into the festival for free.

Last edited:

rockville

Chimp
Sep 14, 2008
A group of dedicated volunteers have been working with the Camden Snow Bowl (parks & Rec. town owned) to develop lift served MTB over the last year or so. We began with lift service to access existing XC trails and have flagged out and cleared our 1st DH specific trail. Hopefully interest in the sport peaks so we can have more lift days in the future.
100_0919.jpg