Quantcast

lifting and riding the same day?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I've heard a few things about cardio and weight lifting on the same day is not good for you because it doesn't allow the muscle fibers to repair well enough. Despite this, it is a really nice day and I want to go riding, plus I plan on doing some road training at least 4 times a week this spring.

So today I did a rather intense arm workout at about 10:30 and finished around 11:30. Would I be ok riding around 4 o'clock or would I be better off putting the ride off until tommorrow when I am fully recovered? I know a few of you monkeys hit the iron pretty regularily, I'm new to this(been lifting seriously for about 8 weeks) and don't want to be messing up my workouts.

The Ito

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'd weight (hahah get it) until tomorrow. I only do a light spin the days I lift. That way my muscles can fully recover.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
You should be ok. Once in a while won't kill you. Just make sure you eat enough recovery food to make up for all the calories burned.

I have lifted and ridden on the same day plenty of times. It's a great way to shed pounds. :D

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I tried the routine of lifting and riding the same day.
I'd work-out the upper body & core {only} on the morning & ride in the afternoon... :monkey:

After 2 months I felt tired all the time, not worn-down, just kinda tired-like you know? :dead:

Changed to upper body weights one day & ride next.
Been on the same routine for 5 years now. :D

I think that's the issue, it's OK for a little while, but if if you get into the habbit{routine} of working out all the time, you can break down muscles more than building them up. :cool:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lifting always would make me play especially horribly if i tried to get a game of racquetball or basketball in after a good session. it probably has similar effects on your riding performance, so i'd stay away from doing both on the same day.

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
dont do it unless you want to get real overtrained and have a super hard time recovering. If it is once in a blue moon thing than you are cool, but dont do it intentionally. I dont know why you lift, but if you lift to get stronger, which is why i would imagine most people lift, it makes sense to me that you would want to be as fresh as possible before you lift, so that you can give maximal effort to the workout, and reap the rewards of the strength training.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Originally posted by BigMike
sort of on a related subject, what about doing pushups when you get home from a ride?
I don't see anything wrong with that, being as most people's pushups are a fairly low intensity affair.

I know that lifting and cardio shouldn't be done together frequently, but I'm forced to do cardio every day for at least 3 hours now. I need to fit my lifting in so I wake up nice and early to lift. Am I lifting to my full potential? No. But it's something. Especially since I'm more trying to get tough as nails now as opposed to just stronger/bigger.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
It's not that it's bad. It just depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to get big(muscle wise) then don't do it on the same day.
From an overall fitness perspective it's not a bad thing at all. People only run into problems with over-training, since your body can only perform so much healing of fibers in a given day.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Jorvik
Most people's version of doing pushups is doing 10 and then stopping. Muscle failure good.
That what i've heard. muscle failure good :)

Usually, when I do them when i;m not riding, (and my shoulder is not fvcked up) I do a set of 25, then 20, then 15, 10, 5, then do as many as I can. then when I cant do anymore, I hold myself in pushup position until I physically cant do it anymore. than take a shower, go to bed, and hurt the whole next day :dead::)