Quantcast

Light Duty Shoulder Protection

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Anyone have any ideas on light duty armor? I did a search and it only came up with full on suits. Since I'm not hitting trees at 60mph I don't think my aggressive XC style warrants the big stuff. However, I'm trying to get more comfortable in the air and doing a LOT of lawndarting [and losing a lot of left shoulder sleeves ;) ]. At 34, me bones don't bounce back as well.
So what I would like to know is if anyone has tried products like sixsixone's race suite or straight jacket and if they offer any shoulder protection at all. Or other similar light products. Maybe even some ghetto rigged ideas. Thanks a bunch.
:monkey:

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Honestly, I don't think that ANY body-suit offers too much shoulder protection (in the sense that broken collar bones or dislocated shoulders would be protected) - and the lighter the suit the less protection I'd think

I have the 661 '04 Pressure Suit - it's great, offers some pretty big cups on the shoulders (which gives some protection - more against rock or trees cuts and so forth) - problem is that the type of human lawn dart fall that breaks a collarbone or dislocates a shoulder is more blunt force trauma - and will probably happen whether you are wearing a chest protector or not

IMHO - the best thing about the suits is the spine protection, chest protection and elbow protection (spine #1, since those injuries can be forever)

they are worth wearing despite the heat (like a full-face), just to stay on a bike in the long-term

Dainese makes (available in Europe at least) - a sleeveless jacket that has a spine protector and some chest protection - the rest is mesh - that's probably the lightest worthwhile protection I've seen - but no shoulder protection that I recall...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This may sound funny, but I heard it works. Hockey or Lacrosse gear is cheap, tough and somewhat light as well. Solid sholder protection, but little or no chest on the lighter stuff though. I was looking at Play it Again sSports (used and overstock gear) and they sold for $35 or so.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Pads mostly prevent abrasions.

That said, dianese uppers make me feel invincible. Nice n beefy shoulder cups.

I've never hurt myself while wearing the whole suit.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Originally posted by jimmydean
This may sound funny, but I heard it works. Hockey or Lacrosse gear is cheap, tough and somewhat light as well. Solid sholder protection, but little or no chest on the lighter stuff though. I was looking at Play it Again sSports (used and overstock gear) and they sold for $35 or so.
LaCross ?!? ... Who woulda' thunk it? Looks perfect for what I'm after. I never seem to belly flop so the chest area is not that important. Looking at the various online sport shops, there is some quality stuff out there. Anyone have any experience with any of the various brands? Like say ... this one:
http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/warthitman5.html

Thanks again for the input. :D

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by BuddhaRoadkill
I never seem to belly flop so the chest area is not that important.
And you probably never will, but keep in mind that it only takes one fall to do some damage.