Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It's time to buy new pedals and I have some silly (but I think achievable) criteria:

- 100x100 platform or very close to
- Reverse entry pins (flexible on this, but preferable)
- Some concavity (i.e. not convex or dead flat between centre and extremeties)
- Alloy body (no magnesium)
- Reliable axle / bushing / seal system
- Sub $200
- 300g

I've looked at HT, Nukeproof, Deity, and noticed all these seem to come out of the same factory. CRC sell Ti axles for their NP Proton and Neutron pedals, and I've wondered if these fit similar pedals from Deity for example, which are a bit lighter. Perhaps someone can shed light on what is / isn't compatible.

HT make a lot of ~350g alloy body pedals that I think might be just right with a Ti axle added (eg. AE03), but they only spec Ti on magnesium bodies, so I'm wondering if there's anywhere good to buy axles individually perhaps.

Also, any comments on durability and reliability of HT pedals / axle systems would be good to hear.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I've been running HT (branded Superstar) Nanos for 5+ years now, been faultless in that time. Got the older pair on the DH bike and slightly newer ones (exact same model though) on the trail/ENDURO!! bike. In that time, I've had to change one axle (cost: £4 iirc) after a sizeable incident at Ft.Bill and a couple of pins (grub screw model, so easy to source and replace). Still on the original bearings, despite sh*tty Scottish weather.

The only think to bare in mind is that I only weight around 140lbs, but I know plenty heavier folk that also run them with no problems.

EDIT: Currently sub £80 for the Ti axle version with either thru-pin or grub screws: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=127 Dunno what they're like for overseas shipping though

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
i've got the AE01's on two of my bikes (trail and dh). no issues with either after more than a year. i do live in a very dry climate so i can't comment on durability or maintenance in the wet.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks, some good options there.

Any suggestions on where to buy the HTs, and are Ti axles available seperately?

The AE01 and AE03 both look to come in at 310-315g in Ti guise, and it seems there was once an AE01T available from factory but it's not on their website anymore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nano's are great lightweight pedals for the money but like any lightweight part they're not without their flaws..
if you're a heavy rider (guessing you're not if you're looking at sub 300g pedals) or just plain clumsy with your feet or a bit of an animal you may find the axles weak. I'm one of the heavier riders Mark refers to and have bent a few axles since using them (5+ years too) but as he says they are super cheap to replace, I bent one axle 180 hopping my hardtail and landing slightly crooked with no actual impact (just my weight being in the wrong place)
if any of the above applies to you I wouldn't want to run Ti axles as they will be much more likely to shear (seen plenty bent nano cromo axles but only one sheared, guess what it was made from?)
The pedal bodies are actually very strong.. much more so than I ever expected (the grub screw version) I definitely prefer grub screws to through bolts for grip.. but as with any grub screw pedal you run the risk of taking the threads when you kill a pin on a rock.. but at the price, it's not really a massive problem.. and TBF through bolt pins when bent can damaged threads too..
Superstar offer a replacement generic coloured alloy pin with spanner flats that should offer more support at the pedal body interface if you want that, although these won't fit the grub screw version without either running a thin washer under the head or modification - you know you want to ;)

the exact same HT nano pedals can be found (often even cheaper) from Carboncycles under the "exotic" brand or Works components "HT" my choice is the HT as the logo's least ugly ;) a few BMX brands also sell the same HTs if logo is un/important to you too.

<EDIT> Yes, the Ti axles are available seperately, CRC for Nukeproof ones, Superstar for.. well.. superstar things..

Last edited:

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Ive a pair of Nukeproof neutron mag Tis and can't fault them. Cost me £40 used from an xc boy,, stripped and new bushes and greased in 30 mins. Been going strong for months. My previous steel axles did 2 seasons on a bush set and still run fine

Last edited:

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Ive been on the Nukeproof Protons for about 2 years and found them great, so i reckon that any of the HTs are worth going with. I have bent a few axles on them but generall from using them to remove large stumps/rocks from the ground at high speed. Id rather bend an axle than my cranks. There easily serviceable and I really cant see why people will spend the extra on burgtecs and the like of other fancier pedals. There certainly alot better than the straightlines they replaced. A riding buddy of mine who is also a fellow monkey has started this venture http://www.moovebikeco.com/ he has a similar product range to superstar but with nicer finish options on the pedals and kinda similar prices

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
http://www.sicklines.com/2013/04/20/2014-point-one-racing-podium-pedal-prototype/

Anyone got any goss on these? A few people I know broke axles in the previous point1 podium so I'm dubious, but they actually seem to fit my criteria.

Does bending Proton/Neutron chromo axles mean that the Ti ones will be destroyed even easier? Anyone wrecked the Ti ones or have any long term experience with them (i.e. a few good pedal whacks)?

I've been on MG-1 Ti's for years and have been unable to bend or break the axles (I break one body a year roughly, and just replace them since they're cheap) - but I'm not sure if those being fine will equate to other brands being fine, it's sounding like that might not be the case.

I think the HT gear is all excessively overpriced, and the cost of replacement Ti axles puts me off if they aren't going to hold up like my current ones. The bonus for the nukeproof gear is it's all on CRC and reasonably cheap, but the alloy/ti setup doesn't make my weight cut, and the mag/ti setup is expensive given mag pedals will inevitably break. Still not seeing a solid contender.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Have you looked at or considered e13 Lg1 with ti axles? Not sure on platform size, but they are relatively large. 450g with chromo axles. Reverse entry pins, plus composite platforms that sandwich an alloy body. Gives greater protection to being damaged when a pin is broken, and the composite pieces can be replaced for a brand new look. Slight concave. Three different length pins included to fine tune the concave feel and grip. Very reliable and easy to service igus bushings. I imagine with a ti axle they will be a tad heavier than your desired 300g, and the platform might be too large. But mine have been amazing, and more grip than I have ever experienced.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Have you looked at or considered e13 Lg1 with ti axles?
I am riding them since this spring. Very happy so far. They are incredibly grippy with the long pins, although the pins have a very slim diameter and get damaged easily. The big platforms are very comfortable though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Udi, The HTs are a thinner pedal than your MG1s so have a narrower diameter axle and tapers, if a Ti axle shears on you it will almost always be at the first taper (where a cromo axle will bend). if you do shear a Ti axle surely that's when you replace it with a cromo one and admit you're too rad/fat/clumsy for sub 300g thin pedals?
Guessing your opinion is tainted from the fact MG1s with Ti axles can be found at a ridiculously low prices on Ebay etc. but I'm still not sure how you can think they are excessively overpriced when people are happily spunking 3 to 5 times their price on inferior pedals and you yourself have set a pedal budget of $200

Maybe just stick with MG1s if you're happy with them, They wouldn't be on any DH bike of mine, that's for sure.. magnesium pedal bodies and cheap Ti axles may be great for taking pics of your bike on a scale but let's be honest, are not really upto repeated DH (ab)use, not to mention they don't have all that great a shape/profile either

Over here Cromo HT nano's cost no more than £34 a set (I've paid as little as £29), a set of Ti axles for them £50 (not that I'd be interested), how much dearer are they where you are?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
neutrons/Diety/SSnano/exotic/HT etc. are the same pedals, so yes, the axle is the same.. and funnily enough, so is the weight

By all means buy whichever ones are listed as lightest, just don't go weighing them next to the cheaper/heavier ones ;)

Last edited:

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
currently using ht ae01

the good:
-smaller pin diameter than competitors = much more grip (this is their secret)
-thin profile = feels extremely stable (combined with feature above)
-crazy light (even in the cheapest version)

the bad:
-since it's 11mm thick no room for proper bearing. uses du bushings and an axial bearing. requires a lot of maintenance, if you want them run for a long time. any how you care about them, they will wobble.
-for me wish it would have a little bit larger surface

I used them with some stiff sole skate shoes and now a shimano am41. This combo grips like hell, no rocky section can divide the sole and the pedal.
bought them for ~85$.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
I'd look for Acros or DMR Vault. DMr seems have huge platform which I like it.

Rides on Superstar Nano, no complaints.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm actually pedal shopping now to replace my Saints. 11 months down the track and there's enough slop in them that I'm worried they'll break :-( Can't find the bloody receipt anywhere either.
Have you serviced them? In my experience one of the overwhelming benefits of Shimano pedals is that they use a proper bearing setup - easily adjustable and user serviceable. Here is a link to the exploded view - https://www.paul-lange.de/tradepro/shop/artikel/docs/Explosionszeichnungen/SHIMANO/PD-MX80.pdf

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Burgtec are crap, don't go that way.
Please expand

Spend an extra $50 and get a pair of Burgtec Penthouse pedals. You'll never own another pair of pedals after the purchase.
New mk4 are only £100 and Dave posts stuff to Whistler for free for me.

I've blown up several peals, bent axles etc. My Burgtecs are solid, and 2 winters of shuttling aswell as the bike park has ended up with a few spare pins and whilst I'm in England I'm going to pick up new bearings. They're solid, smooth and no longer ridiculously heavy!

There's a reason so many big time World Cup riders trust a tiny little English pedal company that can't offer much other than reliable pedals

Though, I'm of the opinion contact points should inspire confidence, and aren't the place to save grams.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Hey I might be crazygonuts but I have had great luck with these: http://www.deitycomponentsstore.com/deity-compound-pedals.html in HT pedal flavor. The bearings have held up and the platforms have too. They seem to take the licks but keep on ticking. And $50 for a pedal under 400g is unbeatable. I notice zero difference between these and metal platform pedals.
I bought those (under a different brand name) last year for one of my hardtails. Main issue is that the alu endcap is not recessed, so after brushing vertical rocks with the pedals a few times, there are almost no plastic threads left to hold in that alu cap...which then backs out, which then means the spacer comes out and the pedal has a few mm of horizontal play.

However rather than throw this pedal in the garbage, I epoxied the endcap back in & I"m still using them on my bike that gets used for pedaling to the local bar.

Other than the endcap issue, the plastic construction has held up well and having nutted pins means that the pins never come out...they just get loose from impacts, and then you retighten them and it's all good.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You know, I'm missing a cap on one side, and I really don't notice much or any play. It's definitely a concern though, I forgot about that.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Gary (and other Nano copy geeks) -
The Deity Skyscraper claims 383g with steel axle, while the Neutron / Superstar Nano etc are 430g in steel guise and 375g with Ti. To me they look very similar, but there must be something different about the Skyscraper for it to be 50g lighter - what gives?

If the Deity is really 383g, then with Ti axles they'd be close to my weight - albeit at >$200 - but fit my needs pretty well. You say the other brand axles all fit, but do you know for sure? Because if their weight claim is right, they are not an identical pedal. Apparently the Superstar axles fit the Deity 'Decoy' so a logical question might be if the 'Decoy' and 'Skyscraper' axles are the same.

EDIT - got a reply from Eric @ Deity (super fast response)
The Skyscraper apparently uses a different axle to the Decoy, not compatible with those other brand axles. Back to the drawing board.

I'm not happy with the MG1s for grip which is why I'd like to replace them. I want a bigger, thinner platform and alloy bodies, and considering they are ~us$100 in Ti guise, I'm willing to double that price for a pedal that will be the same weight but be made of alloy and have a bigger platform. I don't think what I'm asking for is impossible, although the budget may have to stretch a little. It's the last thing on my bike to change so I figure I'm allowed to be picky.

Also, FYI, many of you are assuming HT pedals are all in the same boat when telling me about axles, but they are not - as Rocko pointed out, the HT AE series use thinner bodies and a different axle config (thrust bearing instead of radial bearing on outside) which seemingly (thanks Rocko) isn't as reliable as the conventional setup on the Superstar/Nukeproof/etc. However the AE pedals are lighter and thinner with similar platform size.

For whoever recommended / asked about Burgtec - thick, heavy, expensive - pick three. :)

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Deity Skyscraper claims 383g with steel axle, while the Neutron / Superstar Nano etc are 430g in steel guise and 375g with Ti. To me they look very similar, but there must be something different about the Skyscraper for it to be 50g lighter - what gives?
Looks to me like the Neutron and Nano are both using the standard HT AN01 body while the Deity gets some additional CNC relief work.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Never seen a Diety pedal in the flesh but from the pic It's definitely a different Pedal body from Nanos.. see that horrible bulge near the axle? (meaning it may use a different axle design from a nano) and the front and rear pedal edges look to be raised/stepped, so, yeah, more machining 25g saving per body sounds possible I suppose

But I wouldn't take weight claims as accurate, for example I'd bet Nukeproofs and nano's to be the exact same weight, I have a Nukeproof pedal body here and it's exactly the same design as my HT/nanos

If the Deity is really 383g, then with Ti axles they'd be close to my weight - albeit at >$200 - but fit my needs pretty well. You say the other brand axles all fit, but do you know for sure? Because if their weight claim is right, they are not an identical pedal. Apparently the Superstar axles fit the Deity 'Decoy' so a logical question might be if the 'Decoy' and 'Skyscraper' axles are the same.
I was only talking about Nanos and all the exact coppies out there using the same axles.

I'm not happy with the MG1s for grip which is why I'd like to replace them. I want a bigger, thinner platform and alloy bodies, and considering they are ~us$100 in Ti guise, I'm willing to double that price for a pedal that will be the same weight but be made of alloy and have a bigger platform. I don't think what I'm asking for is impossible, although the budget may have to stretch a little. It's the last thing on my bike to change so I figure I'm allowed to be picky.
Why on earth are you so hung up on weight? especially concerning pedals?

Just buy a cheap set of Cromo Nano/HT/Exotic (grub screw version) and see if you like them

Also, FYI, many of you are assuming HT pedals are all in the same boat when telling me about axles
as above, not me,

For whoever recommended / asked about Burgtec - thick, heavy, expensive - pick three. :)
The free ones tend to place pretty well in WC DH though.. Can't say the same about ANY sub 300g flat pedal ;)

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
F*** 'flat' pedals.

Get straitlines.

7mm profiles sound good, but a good pedal beats a thin one every day.

Point1 eat me! (Crampon too)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
keep yer hair on! HT/Nanos' are "good" concave flat pedals

;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have whinged randomly about the Burgtec pedals in another thread, awesome shape, weight is fine(I'm 220lb so a pedal ain't ****) don't like the way the pedal grabs rocks, needs a chamfer on the leading edge like most of the pedals out there, drag marks on the axles from ****ty machining is what I'm guessing caused my axle to snap. Burgtec is the only pedal I have ever had fail on me and they would have bee lucky to see 3months use.

I'd love the DMR vault but I still don't know if the redesigned model bends like the first one did.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
the good:
-smaller pin diameter than competitors = much more grip (this is their secret)
-thin profile = feels extremely stable (combined with feature above)
-crazy light (even in the cheapest version)

the bad:
-since it's 11mm thick no room for proper bearing. uses du bushings and an axial bearing. requires a lot of maintenance, if you want them run for a long time. any how you care about them, they will wobble.
-for me wish it would have a little bit larger surface

bought them for ~85$.
Where'd you get them for $85? I'd have a gamble for that price, cheapest I've found is $130 (posted) on ebay.

Are there two DU bushings, one on the outside near the axial bearing? I presume there must be, otherwise the pedal would be unsupported there. Also, have you tried removing the 'spring' from the axial bearing, and then loctiting the nut at the point where there is no play or resistance? It looks like they are easy to maintain.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Spank has Ti spindles and alloy pins out for their Spike pedals which nets you a 330g pedal with an alloy body, a great feeling(and supportive) platform, reliable bearing system and a fairly thin platform as well.
I've got 6 pairs of Spikes, one on each bike and I absolutely love them. My oldest pair is 3 years old and I've never done a drop of maintenance to them. I used to kill 2-3 sets of MG-1's per year.

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Point1 eat me! (Crampon too)[/QUOTE]

I have had mine for three years now. No issues not even a bearing change yet. What happened to your pedals?