Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Spank has Ti spindles and alloy pins out for their Spike pedals which nets you a 330g pedal with an alloy body, a great feeling(and supportive) platform, reliable bearing system and a fairly thin platform as well.
Where can I get them, and what is the pricing with Ti spindle? All I found was "available soon" etc. I don't really want to buy the pedals and then spindles separately as it will probably throw me well over my budget. Also, do you know the weight with spindles but without the alloy pins? No desire for pins that will vanish on first rock contact.

They look good though. Is there a bushing in the axle system somewhere? I'm a little dubious on the use of a bearing inboard, but 3 years without maintenance sounds good.

Edit - looks like an IGUS bushing outboard. I like that these are forged bodies, and that the pins are located at the far edges of a seemingly large platform (although they don't provide actual dimensions). No convex BS either. If they are 330g then this is the best suggestion to come out of this thread, but I still can't find the Ti model for sale anywhere.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
but I still can't find the Ti model for sale anywhere.
dont hang up on weight, just buy standard version and upgrade later.

Titanium wont make you faster or give anything of WC DH podium :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brook runs Burgtec and still he wins some podiums. Take it, weight wennies :D

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I was never going to get on a WC podium anyway.
However I can beat Gwin since he sucks now, hence this weight saving conquest to lose those few seconds I need to place 68th.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was never going to get on a WC podium anyway.
However I can beat Gwin since he sucks now, hence this weight saving conquest to lose those few seconds I need to place 68th.
Doesn't gravity work the other way for people from the other side of the globe? You should benderize your bike.

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
Where'd you get them for $85? I'd have a gamble for that price, cheapest I've found is $130 (posted) on ebay.

Are there two DU bushings, one on the outside near the axial bearing? I presume there must be, otherwise the pedal would be unsupported there. Also, have you tried removing the 'spring' from the axial bearing, and then loctiting the nut at the point where there is no play or resistance? It looks like they are easy to maintain.
I bought them locally last summer.

Yes, there are two a smaller one right beside the axial bearing. This one weares the fastest and makes the pedal wobble, especially on witch foot you have front most.
The play is come from the wearing bushing. No need to remove the spring. I have serviced them about 5 times. Each time I have to tighten more and more to eliminate the lateral play, so now it's work as a washer.

Yes, it's really easy to work on.

However the bushing looks replaceable I haven't find any alternatives. I would be happy to find polimer ones insted of the traditional steel + teflon.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks Rocko

If the play comes from the worn bushing, how does tightening the thrust (axial) bearing remove the lateral play? It doesn't really sound like a solution. Do your bushings still have bushing material left on them?

Do you think it's easy / possible to remove that outer bushing? It may be a standard size.

Rocko

Chimp
Jan 11, 2009
So, lateral play comes form the blue plastic washer on the inner side witch I think "shrinked" by the time I use them (and hold me on the bike). Around the thrust bearing, mines have plastic washers (witch are not on the picture in the review I linked), seems to lose thickness. The wave spring is also losen the strenght, so I have to tighten more if I don't want lateral play.
The du bushing are responsible for up&down play and that's the main "problem".
The pedals are totally useable just a little bit annoying the wobble.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Where can I get them, and what is the pricing with Ti spindle? All I found was "available soon" etc. I don't really want to buy the pedals and then spindles separately as it will probably throw me well over my budget. Also, do you know the weight with spindles but without the alloy pins? No desire for pins that will vanish on first rock contact.

They look good though. Is there a bushing in the axle system somewhere? I'm a little dubious on the use of a bearing inboard, but 3 years without maintenance sounds good.

Edit - looks like an IGUS bushing outboard. I like that these are forged bodies, and that the pins are located at the far edges of a seemingly large platform (although they don't provide actual dimensions). No convex BS either. If they are 330g then this is the best suggestion to come out of this thread, but I still can't find the Ti model for sale anywhere.
I'll check with my distributor today when I get to work and let you know. If nothing else, I can send you a set of my pedals to try out.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Cheers.
If you can get me a set with Ti spindles I'm more than happy to pay to play.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
spank spikes have been my favorite for some time now, and I see more and more people on them as the word gets out. platform is much larger than most pedals. angled leading edge really slides over rocks well. i liked my point1 podiums but that inner bulge bugged me. Was right where I like to put my foot.

the thinner HT pedals (AE01 for example) are too small for my large feet but I was thinking of trying the AE02s on the GF's Ibis, since they manage to come in around 300 g w/ chromo spindle and alu body.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have been on two sets of Canfield Crampon pedals since last March and they have been awesome. One set gets transferred back and forth between my DH and DJ bikes, while the other set is permanently mounted to my trail bike.

Weight (weighed by yours truly): 338g for the pair including pins
Cost: $150

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have been on two sets of Canfield Crampon pedals since last March and they have been awesome. One set gets transferred back and forth between my DH and DJ bikes, while the other set is permanently mounted to my trail bike.

Weight (weighed by yours truly): 338g for the pair including pins
Cost: $150
Any play/movement at all after a year? Ripped out any pins? Apart from the slight convex thing which I think is questionable, they seem to tick most of the other boxes. The weight and price are good, as is the platform size. Do you know if they post overseas if you buy direct off the website?

Your PM box is full.
Shot you a PM and an email.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
anybody can measure Spanky Spike lenght? both at largest (middle) and smallest (edge) ?

Which is largest platform pedals?

Grip is da ****. I think about "pedal flip" which is not fun.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
anybody can measure Spanky Spike lenght? both at largest (middle) and smallest (edge) ?

Which is largest platform pedals?

Grip is da ****. I think about "pedal flip" which is not fun.
i can measure the spank's a bit later - the largest platform i think is the syntace numbernine in large.
http://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2177

edit - i forgot i already had some pics.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
half outer place consist of steel pins. or you can replace them all with steel? they care too much about weight.
Why not use steel from the begining. Alu pins become shineating sharp then blunt with no grip very fast.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Sure but it is not very likely that it damages a lot on inner half-piece when the outer one takes most abuse. Though it is not hard to replace those pins with steel within a few very precious minutes of my life.

I still think Syntace care for all weight wennies and show off with low weight of products. I wont even build wheels with aluminium nipples either. But I could understand that 4-5 gram make HUGE difference for some people.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have two sets of Spank Spikes...

They are different generations - the final axle version and the first or second - not sure.
Put them on the scales and one pair was just under 400grams and the other was just over
396 and 410 if memory serves. So, in my experience the 400gm weight is pretty accurate.

I run a pair on my Delirium and a pair on the Podium - I'm 230 on bike on a good day, size 11.5 shoe.
So far no issues - loving them favorite pedal so far.
Great feel and size, and they do not get hung up on rocks or roots.

Recommended.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

They are different generations - the final axle version and the first or second - not sure.
Put them on the scales and one pair was just under 400grams and the other was just over
396 and 410 if memory serves. So, in my experience the 400gm weight is pretty accurate.

I run a pair on my Delirium and a pair on the Podium - I'm 230 on bike on a good day, size 11.5 shoe.
So far no issues - loving them favorite pedal so far.
Great feel and size, and they do not get hung up on rocks or roots.

Recommended.
where are you finding replacement pins?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
BmxConvert -
Did you have any luck finding the Ti ones?

Someone help me find some of these bad boys!
Steel pins for me, but I'm sure I can swap them myself if needed.

Sounds good to me.

Last edited:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Any play/movement at all after a year? Ripped out any pins? Apart from the slight convex thing which I think is questionable, they seem to tick most of the other boxes. The weight and price are good, as is the platform size. Do you know if they post overseas if you buy direct off the website?
Yes, there is a small amount of play but this is expected out of a pedal that uses DU bushings instead of bearings. It hasn't caused any issues for me or the several friends I have that run them as well.

I have not "ripped" out any pins that I know of. Several pins have gone missing, but the threads are still perfect where these pins used to be...so they must have rattled out over time. I have bent/ground down pins though because these pedals have taken a beating. I'll try and take a picture of one when I get home.

Yes, I do believe they will ship overseas if you place an order on their online store. Here is a link to their international orders information.

http://canfieldbrothers.com/store/index.php/international-orders

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I think Universal have the various service bits available for Spikes.

edit:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=50926
you are correct - thanks. for anyone wondering - those original pins from spank are a unique size that you cannot find in any hardware stores. something to consider if contemplating a pair. they've had their teething issues for sure (three axle/nut designs before getting it right) but it seems they finally got things sorted. and CS from spank (mike specifically) was top notch while working through these issues.

i've got a set on the wife's bike and they work great for her but the pins were not for me. the ht's use the same thin and readily available pins that the kona wah-wah's use which grip much better with the shoes i use. again that's just personal preference - i know plenty of people who are more than happy with the spikes and they are a great pedal overall.

that said (spam ahead) - if anyone in the U.S. is interested in a lightly used set of spikes, hit me up - i've got two sets (long story) i'm getting ready to unload.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
'size, normally pin replacement is important to me i.e. i want it to be easy to obtain and replace them but IME the spank pins pretty much never need to be replaced...as long as you occasionally re-tighten them. I've had massive hits that only resulted in pins getting a little loose.

PM me info (price etc) on the spikes you have for sale. I wouldn't mind another pair. thx.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
thread too long to read through, but the $50 ht plastic pedals (nukeproof election, deity compound, nrg hippie killer, etc) rock ass. a sane 340g (no dodgy snappy ti spindles to worry about), low profile, supper grippy, and bomber. pins & pedals have been more resistant to impacts than any alu or mag pedal i've used. the axle is a wee bit thicker than the edges, but concavity doesn't really provide any benefit anyways, as the sole flexes into a convex shape over the pedal regardless. killer pedals; no reason to spend more, imo.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
thread too long to read through, but the $50 ht plastic pedals (nukeproof election, deity compound, nrg hippie killer, etc) rock ass.
so.. coming from a bmx background and knowing what other pastic pedals retail for, i am not keen on paying $50 bux for two pieces of plastic with cromo rods in them ;)

has anyone bought bmx plastic pedals and drilled the bodies out to put pins in them? you can get premium pedals for $31 online (what i use on my dj and love), and there are others than you can buy for cheaper.. i prefer plastic over alum b/c i hate shinners and dont usually ride with any shin protection. although i will defo need to put metal pins in them for the big bike.

ill probably just end up doing it anyways and experiment. :D

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
so.. coming from a bmx background and knowing what other pastic pedals retail for, i am not keen on paying $50 bux for two pieces of plastic with cromo rods in them ;)

has anyone bought bmx plastic pedals and drilled the bodies out to put pins in them? you can get premium pedals for $31 online (what i use on my dj and love), and there are others than you can buy for cheaper.. i prefer plastic over alum b/c i hate shinners and dont usually ride with any shin protection. although i will defo need to put metal pins in them for the big bike.

ill probably just end up doing it anyways and experiment. :D

Why go plastic for $50.00 when you can buy Alum saints for $63.00 at chain reaction?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Why go plastic for $50.00 when you can buy Alum saints for $63.00 at chain reaction?
you can go plastic for cheaper than 50 bucks (that was the main point of my reply).

also, many reasons!
-i prefer a plastic pedal hitting my shin over an alum one (it doesnt hurt as much, usually)
-cost
-weight
-the look on peoples faces when i tell them in running plastic pedals
-replacement bodies are cheappppp

the only bad thing that plagues certain plastic pedals is moisture. as soon as you get the pedal wet, all hope (grip) is lost.. luckily, the premiums i have on my dj dont lose grip too bad when they get wet/muddy. although its got some knurling on the bottom and i think that helps, and i havent drilled those out yet (stock molded pins).

right now im leaning towards buying another set of premiums and going to town on em... just gotta make sure that theyve got enough meat on em for thru type pins.. IMO those should work a lot better on a plastic body than a grub screw.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
^my time is worth more than dicking around with trying to put pins into too thick bmx pedals - especially when the ht / clones are so cheap.

the saints are nice, but (as sandwich mentions) over a quarter pound heavier (and the nukeproof are $40 on crc).

Last edited: