Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i know what you mean. but i never pay more for something than i should.. ;)

50 bucks for plastic pedals is a bit too much for me. id have no problem dropping coin on some alum pedals if i was in the market for some and didnt want to try out my way.

bumpjump

Chimp
Dec 8, 2012
On the plastic HT/nukeproof clones

cheaper than QBP...

http://www.veinbmx.com/bmx-store-parts/Pedals_2/EZRA-Flats-Plus-Plastic-Pedal

A note on these plastic/metal pin pedals for DH...they have more than enough grip, and the pedal feel is OK (but still too convex) but my biggest problem with them was how flexy the pedal bodies are. Whenever riding was fast and rough, I could feel the pedal body sagging around the axle...a lot. I weigh 165lbs. They are still good for a hardtail or anything else really.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Bump.
It seems like e13 don't sell their LG1 pedal anymore. They aren't listed on their homepage anymore...
That really is a shame as I love that pedal.
Now I am searching a flat pedal with more or less the same properties as the E13s:
-Big
-Concave
-Superb grip
-Great underfoot feel
I did a little bit of research and honestly the Specialized Boomslang or the Nukeproof Horizons were the only ones I would take as an option. I don't need the thinnest pedal. I can't stand the feel of the HT's for example, mainly due to the pressure point of the axle.
Any suggestions? Or maybe a monkey that can sell me some E13s in europe?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Bump.
It seems like e13 don't sell their LG1 pedal anymore. They aren't listed on their homepage anymore...
That really is a shame as I love that pedal.
Now I am searching a flat pedal with more or less the same properties as the E13s:
-Big
-Concave
-Superb grip
-Great underfoot feel
I did a little bit of research and honestly the Specialized Boomslang or the Nukeproof Horizons were the only ones I would take as an option. I don't need the thinnest pedal. I can't stand the feel of the HT's for example, mainly due to the pressure point of the axle.
Any suggestions? Or maybe a monkey that can sell me some E13s in europe?
Chromag Contacts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. no need to go fancy... Try the ones in the pic I posted. They're concave and have great underfoot feel.
I don't ever wear 5:10s and feel is very important to me in a pedal.
They're cheap too.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah. no need to go fancy... Try the ones in the pic I posted. They're concave and have great underfoot feel.
I don't ever wear 5:10s and feel is very important to me in a pedal.
They're cheap too.
Thanks! Will see which pedal I can get the fastest and cheapest.

The AE03 are imo complete garbage. A friend had them for a year and beside the shitty feel underfoot they fell apart rather quickly. They lasted only one season on his DH bike. At that time we mostly rode a rather long track where you got about 20 minutes per run ( :weee:alps:weee:) and sometimes he got numb feet even with Impacts on (he's a whiny bitch with flatfeet).
Then he bought E13s and couldn't believe how comfy and grippy they were...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's fairly specific parameters you're describing. But I've run these on all my bikes since they first apeared on the scene and still do. I've switched out to other pedals but keep returning.
They're really robust (Bodies)... I bent quite a few axles in the early days but never broke any, (spare axles were available when these were popular) Berarings do well too. Pins do get ripped being grub screws but I still prefer those to bolts from underneath. (which can still take the threads out if mashed anyway). Some folk run longer pins in these but I don't think there's really any need.
I run them with 5 pins removed each side on my Hardtails/general riding bikes and all but the two inside pins by the axle on my DH/Duros. as I like my feet to move freely (a BMX/DJ hang up) even on the gnarliest DH tracks. I can't stand sticky soles either. Etnies (Kingpins) are still my go to for a sole with not too much grip, plenty feel but not hurty. Have a stash of them. because #Fashion will eventually make them extinct.
Has your friend tried experimenting with LESS grip? so he can move his feet around better? A winter of BMX would make him strong (core) and have way better understanding of where his pedals are.
Sticky soles do the oposite IMO

Dunno 'bout shipping but they are cheap as here.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?product_code=CC-PED07F

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks! Will see which pedal I can get the fastest and cheapest.

The AE03 are imo complete garbage. A friend had them for a year and beside the shitty feel underfoot they fell apart rather quickly. They lasted only one season on his DH bike. At that time we mostly rode a rather long track where you got about 20 minutes per run ( :weee:alps:weee:) and sometimes he got numb feet even with Impacts on (he's a whiny bitch with flatfeet).
Then he bought E13s and couldn't believe how comfy and grippy they were...:rolleyes:
Same thing with AE03 here. Complete POS.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Pedals for me are a throw away item , they take so much abuse that I can,t justify buying expensive ones. For me over the last 5 years of riding it,s been tried and true Kona Wah Wah pedals

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I have the e13's on my trail and dh bike. love them. I bought a bunch of extra pins to keep them running. I think i'd give the nukeproof horizon sam hill pedals a shot, or the brendog dmr's. i like signature parts plus they look to be nicely designed. I'd really like the try the Syntace Numbernine Titans. They look nice too, but $$$$

http://www.syntaceusa.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=2177

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I did a little bit of research and honestly the Specialized Boomslang
I think this is one of the coolest flat pedals ever made, if weight isn't a big concern.

I haven't owned them so you'd want to get some second opinions on long term durability, but the long term reviews I've seen have been positive. It's ridiculously thin which I find IS a benefit if there's no convexity - and the Boomslang is actually concave (unlike retarded thin-but-convex designs like One-Up and Canfield), uses needle bearings to deal with the loading that a thin pedal brings, and has a design which focuses primarily on optimal feel and maximum grip. It's definitely on the heavy side by my standards, and is the only reason I haven't owned a pair yet.

I don't see anything special in the e13 stuff personally (not that light, expensive, unnecessary design features) so maybe we look for different things.

I dislike the Nukeproof because the outer pins are not reverse entry, and being plain grubscrews they'll vanish fast. That's the most important place to have reverse entry pins. Aside from this I think they'd be a decent pedal.

I'm still running and happy with the Spank Spike Ti (and later Oozy Ti) which I bought as a result of this thread. Friends of mine run the DMR Vault / Brendogs and seem happy with those too, probably worth looking at.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I think this is one of the coolest flat pedals ever made, if weight isn't a big concern.

I haven't owned them so you'd want to get some second opinions on long term durability, but the long term reviews I've seen have been positive. It's ridiculously thin which I find IS a benefit if there's no convexity - and the Boomslang is actually concave (unlike retarded thin-but-convex designs like One-Up and Canfield), uses needle bearings to deal with the loading that a thin pedal brings, and has a design which focuses primarily on optimal feel and maximum grip. It's definitely on the heavy side by my standards, and is the only reason I haven't owned a pair yet.

I don't see anything special in the e13 stuff personally (not that light, expensive, unnecessary design features) so maybe we look for different things.

I dislike the Nukeproof because the outer pins are not reverse entry, and being plain grubscrews they'll vanish fast. That's the most important place to have reverse entry pins. Aside from this I think they'd be a decent pedal.

I'm still running and happy with the Spank Spike Ti (and later Oozy Ti) which I bought as a result of this thread. Friends of mine run the DMR Vault / Brendogs and seem happy with those too, probably worth looking at.

I'm also super happy with the Spanks I use on my DJ bike. I feel like they offer even more grip than my old beat up twenty6 pre runners. (Probably too much for a dj bike)

As for DMRs I have heard great things from friends riding in the UK where they are a bit popular. Vital also loved them.

btw. You're finally back online?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

Yeah, since their presentation I thought the Boomslangs were worth a shot. I am not really concerned about the weight, so they might be an option if I can find a good deal.

I got my first E13s with a complete bike, so they didn't cost me a thing. I just like their feel and the thin pins are uber grippy, although they broke off relatively easy. I have to say that I also liked the spin control on the DH bike. If you got off the pedal in a corner the pedal stayed horizontal and didn't spin which helped with getting the foot back on them.
Would I pay 120€ for them? Probably not. But to me they were really close to perfect on a DH bike.

Thanks for the heads-up with the Nukeproofs. I thought all the pins were reverse entry.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, since their presentation I thought the Boomslangs were worth a shot. I am not really concerned about the weight, so they might be an option if I can find a good deal.

I got my first E13s with a complete bike, so they didn't cost me a thing. I just like their feel and the thin pins are uber grippy, although they broke off relatively easy. I have to say that I also liked the spin control on the DH bike. If you got off the pedal in a corner the pedal stayed horizontal and didn't spin which helped with getting the foot back on them.
Would I pay 120€ for them? Probably not. But to me they were really close to perfect on a DH bike.

Thanks for the heads-up with the Nukeproofs. I thought all the pins were reverse entry.
Just get pedals with shit bearings and you will get spin control ;) Overal I'm against special pins. I got them on my twenty6 and you get amazeballs grip as long as they last and then you notice the pedal forces you to either look for rare pins from the mfg or have to work really hard to screw in regular pins that are super hard to fit due to pedal shape

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
outer pins are not reverse entry, and being plain grubscrews they'll vanish fast. That's the most important place to have reverse entry pins. Aside from this I think they'd be a decent pedal.
Makes little difference in use IME. Mash a reverse entry pin and if it bends over it'll often take the pedal body threads with it anyway.

Boomslangs? Not a fan of either a rounded pedal body edge or a stupid big bearing on the inside of the axle.
But like I said. I like to be able to move my feet around on a pedal and use the edges for feel/control. especially laying the bike over and in the air.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Just coming off a pair of those monster Pedaling innovations frying pan pedals on my bmx bike - switched back to Vaults and I cannot believe how concave the Vaults now feel. Desensitization does wonders!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Makes little difference in use IME. Mash a reverse entry pin and if it bends over it'll often take the pedal body threads with it anyway.
Nope, because a reverse entry pin provides a reaction to the bending moment via the head of the bolt. There's a significant advantage both theoretically and practically - if you applied the EXACT same force/impact to a reverse entry pin and one that isn't (both of exact same length and thread diameter) it'd be clear. Not to say you can't destoy both, but one design is superior.

or a stupid big bearing on the inside of the axle.
The bearing lives where the axle / wrench flats are on other pedals so in my experience it's a complete non-issue, but I'm not trying to do this on my pedals:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm also super happy with the Spanks I use on my DJ bike. I feel like they offer even more grip than my old beat up twenty6 pre runners. (Probably too much for a dj bike)

As for DMRs I have heard great things from friends riding in the UK where they are a bit popular. Vital also loved them.
I loved the feel of my Spank Spikes but killed the bearings in mine twice in ~10 months only to be told "oh yeah that happens" by Spank. And custom bearing size to boot. Yay.

My DMR Vaults are doing great, maybe not as sweet underfoot as the Spanks but good enough and a bit more robust so far.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I loved the feel of my Spank Spikes but killed the bearings in mine twice in ~10 months only to be told "oh yeah that happens" by Spank. And custom bearing size to boot. Yay.

My DMR Vaults are doing great, maybe not as sweet underfoot as the Spanks but good enough and a bit more robust so far.
Vital seemed to suggests the Vaults grip the best from all pedals on the market. If I cant crew out some of the killed alu pins in my twenty6 I will replace them and for now I'm thinking Spesh, Spank or DMR.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nope, BLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH...
*sigh*

I sometimes think you don't ever actually ride a bike at all @Udi

IME means IN MY EXPERIENCE!

Ie. An experience I have of something which has actually happened more than once. TO ME. And I'm simply sharing it. Not writing a dissertation on the fucking theory of fucking bending moments of the fucking bolts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The bearing lives where the axle / wrench flats are on other pedals so in my experience it's a complete non-issue, but I'm not trying to do this on my pedals:
with respect STFU Bro. D' U even table?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
*sigh*

I sometimes think you don't ever actually ride a bike at all @Udi

IME means IN MY EXPERIENCE!

Ie. An experience I have of something which has actually happened more than once. TO ME. And I'm simply sharing it. Not writing a dissertation on the fucking theory of fucking bending moments of the fucking bolts.
Well some people she Jesus in dog butts. This is why I'm sure quite a few people on the forums don't take every personal impression as facts ;)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am aware how unpopular the Canfield Crampon Ultimate pedals already are here but here's some additional heads up - you may need a few pairs to get one working pair. The issue looks like a case of poor manufacturing tolerances as the axle hole is drilled off-center on 2 of my pedals, one side is then thinner and the pressure from the foot causes it to crack where it meets the axle. Luckily, Canfield will just send you another pair for free if you ask them about this issue.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I've got a pair of the plastic ones on my fatbike. They are quite big but I like it. I have also been using the One Up Comp which are a tad smaller and where a good improvement gripwise over the Nukeproof something also in plastic they replaced (I run plastic flats during the winter since they tend to have less problem with ice building up than metal ones)
The Kona have a large bearing toward the cranks that I sometimes find annoying but it might be because of the large BB on the fatbike making me want to have my feet closer to the centre of the bike...
The metal of the pins must be hardened since I have snapped a few instead of bending them.
Other than that I like them, the grip is good, thickness and shape too. I didn't had them for very long yet, just a few weeks so that I don't know how they will hold...

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Isn't it also another HT Catalog product? If yeah you can maybe find some reviews of the original ones
Idk. Haven't seen a HT catalog for quite some time. Which one would that be? To me they look different than the typical HT ones.

Do you know anybody that sells them in yurp? I would have tried some if I had any way of getting my hands on them.
Hmm, you may be on to something here. A quick search doesn't bring up too many results. I thought I could just walk into the next Kona dealers door and buy/order some, as I did years ago with my original set of Wah Wahs. Unfortunately an axle is bent on them.

I've got a pair of the plastic ones on my fatbike. They are quite big but I like it. I have also been using the One Up Comp which are a tad smaller and where a good improvement gripwise over the Nukeproof something also in plastic they replaced (I run plastic flats during the winter since they tend to have less problem with ice building up than metal ones)
The Kona have a large bearing toward the cranks that I sometimes find annoying but it might be because of the large BB on the fatbike making me want to have my feet closer to the centre of the bike...
The metal of the pins must be hardened since I have snapped a few instead of bending them.
Other than that I like them, the grip is good, thickness and shape too. I didn't had them for very long yet, just a few weeks so that I don't know how they will hold...
Snapped pins doesn't sound too promising. Having seen some pics of the granite landmass called Scandinavia you're riding I guess it's the numerous hard rocks strewn all over the place doing this?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Snapped pins doesn't sound too promising. Having seen some pics of the granite landmass called Scandinavia you're riding I guess it's the numerous hard rocks strewn all over the place doing this?
Yes exactly, low BB and granite! :D