Quantcast

Light flat pedals - any HT pedal experts? other suggestions?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I like the xpedo spry.
They are great and super light. Hold up surprising well if you don't ride rocky trails. For now mine are on the pumptrack bike as I have a hard time tracking down the spikier replacement pins in Yurp.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
can't comment on durability yet
not great. (I have two sets). 1 bent axle. 2 knackered bearings after minimal use.

Do yourself a favour and remove the axle, lift the bearing seal and put more grease in there. it's a 5 min job. unlike removing that bearing when it seizes or colapses. ;)

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
found a link on how to eliminate play in race face atlas pedals with a few seconds of filing...worked like a charm. they are now right up there with my kona wah wahs in terms of my approval. grip is great and they’ve shrugged off a number of strikes as i’ve acclimated to the 13” bottom bracket of my 2650bromad on east coast rox.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think this is one of the coolest flat pedals ever made, if weight isn't a big concern.

I haven't owned them so you'd want to get some second opinions on long term durability, but the long term reviews I've seen have been positive. It's ridiculously thin which I find IS a benefit if there's no convexity - and the Boomslang is actually concave (unlike retarded thin-but-convex designs like One-Up and Canfield), uses needle bearings to deal with the loading that a thin pedal brings, and has a design which focuses primarily on optimal feel and maximum grip. It's definitely on the heavy side by my standards, and is the only reason I haven't owned a pair yet.
Hugely impressed with mine. My local terrain is admittedly not super rocky, so huge smashes are a less regular occurrence for me, but it's wet and hard on bearings here, which is a big selling point for them. Grip and feel are also stellar. Proper concave and thin at the same time. I'm sold.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
not great. (I have two sets). 1 bent axle. 2 knackered bearings after minimal use.

Do yourself a favour and remove the axle, lift the bearing seal and put more grease in there. it's a 5 min job. unlike removing that bearing when it seizes or colapses. ;)
I'll soon have an excuse to buy the new plastic OneUp then :p

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. They're fine. and pretty robust. Just look after that bearing. it's recessed so need a blind puller to replace. if it dies it can collapse meaning ball ache.

I bend axles on EVERY pedal ;)

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Been running Gamut Podium pedals (updated Point1s) for about 2 years now. Solid pedal: cromo axle, forged body, pins are easy enough to replace. Recommended.
gamut-podium-pedals_GUP001BK.jpg

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
just buy the DMR Vault
I had many flat pedals over the years..... and its the best ever. and also very strong.

just DMR it!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I bend axles on EVERY pedal ;)
Did you ever run Easton Flatboys? I had the good fortune to pick those as my first good set of flat pedals and they lasted years without a whimper. When I finally ripped out too many pins, I finally conceded and tried Saints (bent axle), Nukeproofs (bent axles), Spanks (bent axle, collapsed bearings) and now finally DMR Vaults (good luck so far). Granted the Flatboys weigh a ton, but geez either mine were crazy strong or I just had good luck.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
just buy the DMR Vault
I had many flat pedals over the years..... and its the best ever. and also very strong.

just DMR it!
DMR Vaults are a solid pedal (run them on my DJ bike) but there are lighter, thinner pedals that have good reliability out there these days. Don't think DMR have really caught up with some of the other pedal companies.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like my pedals like my earth, flat, so I run the Nukeproof Horizons.

I am thinking of going to the Boomslang as I stuffed up the geo when I ordered my frame and now have a 310mm BB height. I moved to a 165mm crank with a narrow 163mm Q factor but a couple of mm more clearance would be good.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Did you ever run Easton Flatboys? I had the good fortune to pick those as my first good set of flat pedals and they lasted years without a whimper. When I finally ripped out too many pins, I finally conceded and tried Saints (bent axle), Nukeproofs (bent axles), Spanks (bent axle, collapsed bearings) and now finally DMR Vaults (good luck so far). Granted the Flatboys weigh a ton, but geez either mine were crazy strong or I just had good luck.
To be fair. I used to bend and snap cranks (pre-Saint) so I'm not too fussed about a cheap and easily replaced pedal axle going first. Bit like a replacable gear hanger on a nice frame ;).
Nah. I never used those. Friends did. and loved them. Or was that Cully's? Hmm... err.. nah.. too many bangs to the head to retrieve. :banghead:
Luck definitely comes into it though. I've bent an axle on a set of Nanos/Nukeproofs just doing a bunnyhop 180 while other sets of the same pedal have lasted full seasons and proper gnarly crashes/cases n shit fine.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
They are great and super light. Hold up surprising well if you don't ride rocky trails. For now mine are on the pumptrack bike as I have a hard time tracking down the spikier replacement pins in Yurp.
Can confirm - have even been holding up pretty well to really rocky trails. Do need to regularly replace outside pins because I'm a hack.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just got a pair of the OneUp pedals to try.

OneUp are thin and light and offer up no noticeable flex, and are a larger platform than a pair of Straitline pedals. Pins are very grippy. I haven't enough time on these to tell if they'll last but so far so good.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It might be fine for a smooth bike park but I couldn't even pedal in corners with 175mm Zee cranks.
It's a hardtail though, right? Not really very low if that's the case. My 165/170mm bike has a 311mm BB height and it's crazy low at sag. I run 170mm cranks though and no issues.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It's a V2 Devinci Spartan @Gary Claimed height is 337, but I swear I measured it at 311. I'll double-check it and post up if it's different.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Probably is. plenty manufacturers geometry charts are well out IME.
A good few of my bikes are lower than stated BB heights. Also as I pretty much always run old skool 2.35 rear tyres and never go above a 2.5 up front they'd be lower anyway.
The misinformation is not just down to tyres though. The bike I bought a week ago was stated as -10mm BB drop. it's more like -16mm. I was pleasantly surprised by this. Surely they have access to measuring devices but I suppose manufacturers might be put off printing properly low BB heights. The current long low slack trail/Enduro bike marketting bandwaggon every manufacturer has jumped on recently there aren't really many properly low bikes. mainly just longer ones.

twenty666

Chimp
Nov 8, 2017
DMR Vaults are a solid pedal (run them on my DJ bike) but there are lighter, thinner pedals that have good reliability out there these days. Don't think DMR have really caught up with some of the other pedal companies.
I wouldn't say DMR hasn't caught up with other pedal companies. DMR was ahead of the game with platform size. Vaults were big when most flat pedals were under 100mmx100mm. They also didn't follow the thiner at all cost philosophy. It would be tough to make the vault any thiner and preserve the shape (concavity) that makes them work so well. It would be tough to make them lighter without compromising the platform size. The vault has remained unchanged because it's pretty dialed. It's one of those rare examples of a design that works and doesn't change just to follow trends. Vaults are the DHF of pedals.

My only issues with them are the bushings develop play fast. Not a big deal considering the outer bearing lasts. I also bang them often, but that's the trade off for deep concavity and a large platform.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I wouldn't say DMR hasn't caught up with other pedal companies. DMR was ahead of the game with platform size. Vaults were big when most flat pedals were under 100mmx100mm. They also didn't follow the thiner at all cost philosophy. It would be tough to make the vault any thiner and preserve the shape (concavity) that makes them work so well. It would be tough to make them lighter without compromising the platform size. The vault has remained unchanged because it's pretty dialed. It's one of those rare examples of a design that works and doesn't change just to follow trends. Vaults are the DHF of pedals.

My only issues with them are the bushings develop play fast. Not a big deal considering the outer bearing lasts. I also bang them often, but that's the trade off for deep concavity and a large platform.
Isn‘t Olly Wilkins responsible in some way for their products? I mean that guy obviously knows what works and what doesn‘t.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Between the Podiums and the Ti axle Spank Spikes - I'm set for pedals.
Which one has a bigger contact area inside the pinned perimeter?
Good to hear the podium has held up, have you wiped out many alloy pins?
Suspect I'd have to switch them out for the stainless personally, should be standard inclusion.

I'm on the Spank Oozy with Ti axles now, very happy.
Retired the Spikes (from 2013 when I started this thread) still functioning.
I did bend one axle in 5 years, and used one new igus bushing kit on them. No complaints.

EDIT -
Now I remember why I didn't get the Podium2, Acadian snapped a body!
Apparently they're in their 3rd gen now though and have forged bodies, sounds sorted.
Stainless pins add 20g which means ~20g heavier than my Oozy/Ti/Stainless combo though, guess I'm sticking with em.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It's a hardtail though, right? Not really very low if that's the case. My 165/170mm bike has a 311mm BB height and it's crazy low at sag. I run 170mm cranks though and no issues.
Yeah it is, I tried my last one with 26" wheels and it was 300mm and was absolutely useless for XC, with 650b wheels it was good. The new one is about a 1265mm wheelbase with a long back end and to me a 310mm BB is too low, with 175mm cranks the pedals would contact the ground on seated turns, it was also useless in ruts and sticks seemed to make their way through the pedal bodies every now and then which was not an issue I had ever really had before, Boomslangs should deflect more sticks, hahaha!

I am not saying you guys are wrong, my old DH bike was 325mm but it doesn't suit my current bike. I looked at the Syntace pedals but the bearing bulge is too big and they are a touch thicker than the Spesh pedals.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Which one has a bigger contact area inside the pinned perimeter?
Good to hear the podium has held up, have you wiped out many alloy pins?
Suspect I'd have to switch them out for the stainless personally, should be standard inclusion.

I'm on the Spank Oozy with Ti axles now, very happy.
Retired the Spikes (from 2013 when I started this thread) still functioning.
I did bend one axle in 5 years, and used one new igus bushing kit on them. No complaints.

EDIT -
Now I remember why I didn't get the Podium2, Acadian snapped a body!
Apparently they're in their 3rd gen now though and have forged bodies, sounds sorted.
Stainless pins add 20g which means ~20g heavier than my Oozy/Ti/Stainless combo though, guess I'm sticking with em.

I have a couple of pics showing a side by side somewhere. Took them just after I got them. Will see if I can dig them up, even if just for info purpose.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Another vote for the Podiums here. Best flats I've used over several decades of experience with most of the available brands. Occasional pin replacement is needed.