Quantcast

light seats

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
Which is the lightest bike seat for DH stil being able to handle the abuse. I rode the SLR Ti till now, but recently i broke 3 in 2 months mostly when faling down trails. now i have to replace it and dont wana pay the price of the SLR, so what do you recomend?
the tioga spyder? the kcnc spednedle( or something like that)? the SLR again? or something new?

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Sdg fly-ti for me....seen em being blown out recently.
Lighter in I-beam if you want to go that route too.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Tioga D spyder is the most sturdy one in the family. It should hold up to abuse just fine (though for some reason they call it a bmx saddle). 40$ for <180g.

Unless you want to go crazy and get morgaw dh saddle at 88g. It's some strange composite and apparently it has lived under my friend for quite some time but that's only a one person so it is still a bit unprooven.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i want to go under 150g but not brake the bank, the morgaw sems to be very interesting but i have conserns about the availiability. dont wana go for the i bean thing because all my bikes use the rails and also, hear in europe i beams are preaty hard to come by. the tioga is prety nice but i am thinking about how uncomfortable it must be...
soo... any other ideas?

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
sandwich i realy want to go under 150g, not under 250 :D :D til now as i said i had very good experience with a striped Selle SLR Ti rails... weighting in at under 125, it was prety prfect but it cracked and so did the other two SLRs i had... so does anybody know how is it with the availiability of the morgaw? there site ist prety useless...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's cool....I know you're looking for light weight, but when somebody asks what a good product is, I feel compelled to recommend what has worked well for me. I've crashed enough times and my shiver is still intact. 100g or another $100, up to you.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Tioga D spyder is the most sturdy one in the family. It should hold up to abuse just fine (though for some reason they call it a bmx saddle). 40$ for <180g.

Unless you want to go crazy and get morgaw dh saddle at 88g. It's some strange composite and apparently it has lived under my friend for quite some time but that's only a one person so it is still a bit unprooven.
Any info on the morgaw? Cant find a website

dhpete93

Chimp
May 24, 2008
UK
I've never had luck with seats until I got a SLR Carbon! The carbon rails are beefcake, taken so many slams and crashes. When I used to go through saddles as a once per month or two ordeal. Since then I've had the SLR Carbon so long I've worn the front and sides away to the point the material has split and it's ragged as can be. Still solid! Confirmed at 135g on my scales. Expensive though, which is why my worn out thing isn't yet replaced.

Other thing is if you want some cush or just padding so your thigh isn't sliced then I recently got a PRO Turnix Carbon, a lot of padding and 157g :)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
You should check out your local road shop. If they're like mine, then they have a bin full of new take-off road saddles that they sell for chump change. You likely won't find SLR's in there, but San Marco's that suck for sitting can be had on the cheap and they fit the bill aesthetically.

PS: Don't tell them its for your downhill bicycle.

chup29

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
Ashland
i used a tioga d spyder for about 2 months, ive snapped rails off wtb devos and bent the ti rails on a wtb rocket v so i wanted something cheap, the tioga looked great, its surprisingly comfortable, and i would buy another one in a heartbeat, the only reason im not using it right now is because it didnt quite survive the biggest crash i had this year, i managed to crack one of the webs, and put a rail through half an inch of plastic but it held up better than my cove shocker, i somehow managed to snap a half inch metal dropout in half and break the rear portion of my leatt... so id definitely buy it again... it was perfect for dh racing, small, easy to get behind, lime green, and light...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
the mtb industry needs to start making posts compatible with most tube sizes I agree...makes a ton of sense.
Couple years ago, MacNeil did a run of different diameter posts. Namely, 30.9 and 31.6 sizes.

Guess what? They didn't sell... You can find other pivotal posts in 27.2 and run a shim.

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Ive had the same seat on my dh bike for three years. I crash ALOT. I mean crash hard. Sheered the steerer tube off my 40 type crashes. My seat is bent and looks haggard but Ive never broken it.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Does anyone know what manganese alloy is a Selle Italia SL's rails made of? As long as it has a higher yield strength than titanium then I'm happy.
My SDG Bel-air with Ti rails got bent after 1.5 seasons worth of me learning how to ride DH.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
get a cheap saddle from a bin at your LBS and strip it, will cost next to nothing and weigh a similar amount

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Couple years ago, MacNeil did a run of different diameter posts. Namely, 30.9 and 31.6 sizes.

Guess what? They didn't sell... You can find other pivotal posts in 27.2 and run a shim.
Actually Alienation (and I think Dartmoor now) sell pivotal seats for 30.9 and 31.6. They are on crc. No shims needed.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
so in fact pivotal seats sems light and cheap? does any one have any idea which seats come in pivotal and are normal size, the only ones i found were ultra small bmx seats

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so in fact pivotal seats sems light and cheap? does any one have any idea which seats come in pivotal and are normal size, the only ones i found were ultra small bmx seats
this, and the pivotal setup allows no fore/aft adjustment. only angle. I used to buzz my saddle when I bottomed out, didn't wanna raise the saddle any higher or change the angle, so fore/aft adjustment was really my only option. granted, this wouldn't be an issue for everyone, just the shortcomings based on my experience.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
There's been some good examples in this thread. I've been looking into this a bit as well, and the Fizik Antares look like an option. Retail price is high ($200), but I think it comes OEM on a few bikes, so there are a few take-offs out there, and it's about 180g and supposed to actually have enough padding to not bruise insides of thighs (like the Funn Skinny RL, ime).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
There's been some good examples in this thread. I've been looking into this a bit as well, and the Fizik Antares look like an option. Retail price is high ($200), but I think it comes OEM on a few bikes, so there are a few take-offs out there, and it's about 180g and supposed to actually have enough padding to not bruise insides of thighs (like the Funn Skinny RL, ime).
200$ for a 180g saddle ??? What is it made off? Unborn babies? That is a bit more than d spyder, as hard and 5 times as expensive. What would be the point of that?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
200$ for a 180g saddle ??? What is it made off? Unborn babies? That is a bit more than d spyder, as hard and 5 times as expensive. What would be the point of that?
Re-read the part where I mentioned it being an OEM on a few bikes and that take-offs are available. Giant tends to use Fizik saddles on completes.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Re-read the part where I mentioned it being an OEM on a few bikes and that take-offs are available. Giant tends to use Fizik saddles on completes.
No. I understand your point. I just dont understand Fiziks ;)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
No. I understand your point. I just dont understand Fiziks ;)
Fair enough. Not that I'm a Fizik fanboi, but I do have one on my road bike and they are constructed very nicely with expensive materials in Italy vs using cheap materials and making them in Asia. But, yeah, $200 for a saddle is pretty high.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Fair enough. Not that I'm a Fizik fanboi, but I do have one on my road bike and they are constructed very nicely with expensive materials in Italy vs using cheap materials and making them in Asia. But, yeah, $200 for a saddle is pretty high.
Yeah but that makes sense for a saddle you sit on, not one you mash on the ground. My Gobi was done after 3 years. I would like to try one of their saddles for my trailbike but unless I find something at a good price it wont happen.