Quantcast

light seats

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've just been using $20 takeoffs from road bikes. Got a Selle San Marco something that's lighish and is holding up well.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Trying to get one of these morgaw dh saddle but they are not selling them yet and they dont have a distributer in the USA yet.
If not will just get a Phenom, take off or a SDG.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Trying to get one of these morgaw dh saddle but they are not selling them yet and they dont have a distributer in the USA yet.
If not will just get a Phenom, take off or a SDG.
Thats their response? Strange - they have been saying the same for the last year. I know my friend got it from a kid they were sponsoring so it may be a proto.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I've been lucky finding SLR's second hand for cheap...I wouldn't pay full retail for a seat like this...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just got some info from a friend at Morgaw. The site should be up soon and they will be testing (when the snow is gone) a 176g seat + post combo. Normal rail system seats will be available too.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
i send a mail to morgaw but didnt get any reply :S so does anyone know of any other posibilities to get in touch with them. Im from the Eu but still coudnt find a distributer of any kind

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
i send a mail to morgaw but didnt get any reply :S so does anyone know of any other posibilities to get in touch with them. Im from the Eu but still coudnt find a distributer of any kind
I they are a bit busy now but their mail might have changed from their page.
Ive got info from Maciek Kucbora who works for them. Maybe look him on fb mailing doesnt work for you.

Last edited:

newyork1

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Formula FX from SDG is the best saddle I have used. Comes in railed version as well as I-Beam. Comfortable, flexes nicely and looks good.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I've just ordered a d-spyder, will let you guys know how I get on with it... not sure it'll cope with crashes very well... we will see!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
being an uncovered plastic shell can you report back how much of a raping your inner thighs get with it Seb? I nearly bought one recently but just went with my usual choice of a tried and trusted Skinny RL instead.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I've just ordered a d-spyder, will let you guys know how I get on with it... not sure it'll cope with crashes very well... we will see!
Don't worry. It's much stronger than other spyders. It survived my crash-o-rama it should survive yours ;)

Gary - you don't get any. The sides of the D spyder are flat so they won't cut into your legs. I never understood that slice of pizza saddles.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
being an uncovered plastic shell can you report back how much of a raping your inner thighs get with it Seb? I nearly bought one recently but just went with my usual choice of a tried and trusted Skinny RL instead.
That was one thought I had, and exactly why I don't buy SLR-style seats any more - this looks like it'll be a better shape in that regard, despite being uncoated. Hoepfully :)

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I have been running a WTB Devo carbon Ti saddle for 3 years now with no problems. The leather is getting worn out but its still going strong. I even bought mine used off ebay so who knows how old it really is.

I use devo's on all my bikes too so they have enough padding for XC stuff as well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gary - you don't get any. The sides of the D spyder are flat so they won't cut into your legs. I never understood that slice of pizza saddles.
cheers! might just try one too then!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yep, happened to my ibeam that i had yearssss ago. Stuck to rails since.

In fact, SO long ago that you were there Gary, I'm sure that's the one at combe syd that we went to together - do you recall me using a whole roll of gaffer tape to try to give my saddle enough "strength" for another run? :D

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
d-spyder arrived and fitted. Have drowned my iphone so no photos. Looks good (to me) though. Looks/feels a lot stronger than it does in the photos, and I don't think it'll be too uncomfortable under cornering. Mine came in slightly under claimed weight too, at 168g.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I'm contemplating of returning my Selle Italia SL to get a Tioga D-spyder (rail version). Since the selle is basically a road/xc saddle, I'm questioning its feasibility as a dh saddle. I'm no racer, so I'm not looking to achieve super light weight. At my current skill level, I crash pretty damn often. I have managed to bend one side of the titanium rails on a SDG Bel-air within the past season.

Would the Tioga be a good alternative or is the Selle Italia good enough to last me at least 2 seasons?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hey, Seb
Have you raced/ridden it yet? any update on comfort? ~Were you at Nant Gwrtheyrn? from the vids it looked rocky/slippy like Dunkeld/Glencoe in the wet for maximum thigh rub (not in a vic reeves style ;) )

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hey Gary, sorry, forgot about this thread. Yeah, rode it for a few months. Had a crash a few weeks ago where the bike smacked a tree midair, which broke it in half at the back. It's still in one piece, but split open at one part leaving a nasty sharp edge. I still seem to be using it though... not ideal though, guess I can't recommend it really.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Had a heavy low side slam last week. Hard enough to bend my seat post but D-spyder looks new still. Thumbs up.
great seat. light, cheap, surprisingly comfy, and durable. all padded seats inevitably get shredded; not these. great in the wet too (doesn't soak up water). another thumbs up.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
SDG I-Beam I-Fly still the best DH seat. The Bel Air still the best everything else seat. All those snnapped ones look like first gen ones, and big deal anyway, still would destroy a railed seat if they're not first gen ones. Everything will break. I'd rather the seat breaks than punches me a new arse hole.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I'm surprised nobody is using pivotal stuff for DH. Light and tough.

I use a pivitol seat no cover..
Macniel post is super difficult to get ahold of for a mtb.
Lightest setup possible.
No back and forth adjustment tho :/

All in all I like it.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Thinking of switching over to pivotal myself. My SDG Ifly Ibeam is broken, and a new one is like $90.

Macneil 30.9 post is available. 3ride in North Vancouver is ordering me one in for $39.
Seats are about that price too.

Lots of seats to choose from. I'll be interested to see how the weight compares. I expect a bit heavier. I'll weight them both when I get them in hand, but from what I figure:

SDG Ifly 178g + SDG post 220g = 400g
slim pivotal seat about 250g + macneil post 182g = 430g

Anyone else looking at a pivotal setup?
Any reason not to?