Quantcast

Lightening A Trek Fuel90 w/discs

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
since rotating mass is the most important item to get rid of, after getting lighter tubes/tires, you should look at light weight wheelsets. As far as wheels go, you can usually get handbuilts that are lighter, cheaper, and more durable than factory wheels. After that, the cassette is also rotating mass, you should get something of XT level or better. Then you might want to look at the bars/stem/saddle/seatpost.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Check the bottom bracket. Old square taper shimano UN52 (LX) BB's weigh a ton. The Fuel 90 has a Bontrager Comp crankset, but I don't know if that's an ISIS setup. If it is you're stoked.

Keep every part till it breaks, then replace with lighter/better.
That usually works for me.

And don't keep sand in your water bottle.:thumb:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Old_Dude
. . . If it is you're stoked . . . [/QUOTE

What does that mean? Stoked? Is that like taking a small toke?

Somebody told me I wouldn't ride as fast if I kept getting stoned. They're probably right, but it sure seems like I'm going faster.
Stoked, as in stoking a fire or coals. To pump with air and feed oxygen thus adding to the fire.

brewboy

Chimp
Dec 2, 2001
Midwest
I have the same bike. You want to start with the bottom bracket(boat Anchor), than tires, seat post, cranks, stem, bars, saddle in that order. The comp level Bontrager parts are a bit hefty. Keep in mind Roland Green got this bike(without disks) down around 23 pounds. I never really notice the weight when I ride this bike and it is very reasonable for a dualie.

R

RideMonkey

My suggestion: Don't worry about it. I raced a 26 pound hardtail with no discs all year and I wouldnt have traded it for anything. Weight isnt that big of a deal.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by ridemonkey
My suggestion: Don't worry about it. I raced a 26 pound hardtail with no discs all year and I wouldnt have traded it for anything. Weight isnt that big of a deal.
I'm no racer but I'd have to agree, your muscles respond to the demand. If your bike is heavy, bigger muscles!!!
:)

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Ride it until a part wears out, or breaks then replace it! That's a pretty good bike from the get-go! I wouldn't spend that kind of money swapping everything out, unless of course you've got more than you know what to do with! It that's the case, Thompson Elite seatpost, Easton Carbon Riser Bar or flat bar, Thompson or RaceFace stem, Chris King Headset, Sram shifters and rear derailleur, XT or XTR front derailleur, XT or XTR Cassette, Race Face Next LP Cranks w/ISIS bottom bracket or XTR w/XTR bb, Custom wheels (too many to choose from-I like Mavic rims laced to Chris King Disco-Tec hubs w/ dbl butted wheelsmith spokes) or Mavic CrossMax...etc.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Agree.

"skill and setup before stuff" - Matt Chester, Ti Frame Builder

Words to live by. A superiour rider can kick your ass on a Huffy, but a $5K, 18# bike won't let you beat him. Improve yourself first, you already have a decent bike.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Has anyone except me ever sold a $2500 guitar so they could go ride a bicycle in the woods?

I'm happy to hang out in a place where behaviour like this is "acceptable", if not the norm.
Dude right on! Guitars are even more ridiculous in price than mountain bikes!
What was it? A Paul Reed Smith or something?
I'm sure there are people here who have traded and sold crazy amounts of stuff just to go farther and bigger on a bike. Don't worry you're in good company
:thumb:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20

Dude right on! Guitars are even more ridiculous in price than mountain bikes!
What was it? A Paul Reed Smith or something?
I'm sure there are people here who have traded and sold crazy amounts of stuff just to go farther and bigger on a bike. Don't worry you're in good company
:thumb:
Na he's an old_Dude so it was either a Strat or LesPaul. or if it was acoustic it was a martin.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Has anyone except me ever sold a $2500 guitar so they could go ride a bicycle in the woods?

I'm happy to hang out in a place where behaviour like this is "acceptable", if not the norm.
My guitars arnt worth that much.

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . Na he's an old_Dude so it was either a Strat or LesPaul. or if it was acoustic it was a martin. . . .
. . . What was it? A Paul Reed Smith or something? . . .
It was this:
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/Rhoads/RR1hrf.html

Mine was metallic black.

I feel like I've betrayed my self by letting it go. It was part of my soul. We had many good times - I can even remember a lot of them.

snif