Quantcast

lightest, most vented, fullface

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What is the lightest, most vented, full face helmet available right now? I need a full face for AM riding. My Vigor Vamoose II is finally done. I bought a THE Rampant carbon and it touches my chin.

edit: I broke my jaw years ago and had to have 3 plates put in. I pretty much have to wear a full face for AM riding.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
I've got a Kabuto GM. It is 930 grams for m/l size. Pretty good ventilation as well. I know Urge makes an "enduro" full face helmet. Suppose to be a little lighter than the normal full face and better ventilation. I have never seen one first hand so I can't say much on those though.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I got a D3 and am surprised with how well it breathes. Definitely give one a go, especially the light carbonz ones.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Suomy. Probably the lightest and nicest DOT helmet I've checked out.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
You're gonna laugh but actually this helmet is one of the lightest and best vented I know of:

The shell is branded by multiple companies like uvex, O'neal and 661. The 661 weighs about 900-980g depending on size.

I had a kali avatar, d3 and a THE T2 i comparison but none comes close in ventilation. But I have to say that it's one of the more flexier helmets. But it held up great so far. Broke the visor twice and crashed it in rock gardens etc. all around.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Try on a POC. It has a massive opening and the chin bar sits out pretty far from your chin so it moves lots of air. Not sure on weight.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
You're gonna laugh but actually this helmet is one of the lightest and best vented I know of:
The shell is branded by multiple companies like uvex, O'neal and 661. The 661 weighs about 900-980g depending on size.

I had a kali avatar, d3 and a THE T2 i comparison but none comes close in ventilation. But I have to say that it's one of the more flexier helmets. But it held up great so far. Broke the visor twice and crashed it in rock gardens etc. all around.
This. I'm on my second one, but never had a problem with the first.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was gonna say Urge too. Fabien says they're good.
Fabien helped develop some of these helmets, is sponsored by them and I seem to recall him being somehow part of the company.

In any case, weird stuff happens sometimes... it's hard to say if the helmet was at fault here. It's definitely less protection than a proper full face, but that's your call. Personally, I'd just wear a full face and get used to the discomfort rather than risk further injury.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I am going to laugh, I had a the 661 Evo before my POC. Not even close to the same realm of air flow in and around the chin. Riding AM in the 661 would seriously suck.

I was told I needed to have a full face for a trip to Peru (I would have rode everything in my Xen given the choice) and had not yet replaced my lost 661, after tying on a bunch of helmets I went with the POC. Between the Peru trip and racing a couple Enduro's it's no question what helmet I would pick.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
thats not the DH full face though, thats the enduro one with a slight bit more protection then a reg lid, but its not the full on DH helmet.

Im on my second urge helmet now, its light has a good fit(for me) and its surprisingly well vented.

Im considering trying a D3, as they fit me fantastic too, but the price is just too much when i can get 3 urge helmets for the same price.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I am going to laugh, I had a the 661 Evo before my POC. Not even close to the same realm of air flow in and around the chin. Riding AM in the 661 would seriously suck.

I was told I needed to have a full face for a trip to Peru (I would have rode everything in my Xen given the choice) and had not yet replaced my lost 661, after tying on a bunch of helmets I went with the POC. Between the Peru trip and racing a couple Enduro's it's no question what helmet I would pick.
Evo =/ Comp.
Air flow around your chin is more related to how well the helmet fits your head shape, it sounds like the 661 didn't fit you very well.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Evo =/ Comp.
Air flow around your chin is more related to how well the helmet fits your head shape, it sounds like the 661 didn't fit you very well.
I'll give you the Evo not being the Comp. The 661 I had fit me perfect.

Have you tried on a POC? The shape of the chin bar and the size the of the google opening is MASSIVE compared to any other full face I've seen.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

Have you tried on a POC? The shape of the chin bar and the size the of the google opening is MASSIVE compared to any other full face I've seen.
What really matters is the ventilation around your head. I never had a problem with any helmet to get air to breathe but I certainly experienced too much heat on my head through a helmet.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think the specialized deviant deserves a look- I have a few friends who have been happy with them. I think it's the closest thing going to those old dangerous Dan giros!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
looks like you removed the extra lip thingie on the rear of the helmet's lower edge? is sweet intending that as a way to adjust clearance with neck braces?

How's the overall fit compare to other helmets?

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I run a deviant and it is indeed very light and vented. it stays put reasonably well with the neck strap thing. it states it is for freeride use only not DH(whatever that means) and I'm not really sure how well it would protect in a bad faceplant such as the one in the link to mtbr. the feel of the helmet is similar to an XC/road lid, not really a MX helmet feel like you get with some of the burlier helmets. It's not really all that comfortable. I'm going to a D3 for next season but will likely keep the deviant around for the lighter duty riding.

On a side note for helmets, I need a new dirtbike lid for enduro and dual sport riding to replace my old stinky pos. would something like a D3 be good enough for that type of riding, warmth wise what with all the vents and things? any better options for a dual use helmet, DH and enduro/dual sport riding?

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY

Not if the chin bar was too close to your face for you to breathe comfortably, thats part of the fit of a helmet.
I havent tried a POC, I can only compare my 661 to a couple other 661 and Fox helmets, but my 2 661 comps have been almost as comfortable as an open face helmet. Even while pedaling, although I generally wear an open face for that.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I was gonna say Urge too. Fabien says they're good.
Till you wad up off a drop head first into the rocks...lol

I say You go light keep it specifically for all mountain the smashing noise mixxed with the lack of padding sucked. Not my first shattered helmet I smoked a few in mx as a kid...this one was blown out both sides with the jaw flopping around and had cracks and chips over a majority of the helmet.

This helmet should work well for your intended purpose...this ended up a concussion thankfully. This was also over the bars off am ladder down to the rocks.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
looks like you removed the extra lip thingie on the rear of the helmet's lower edge? is sweet intending that as a way to adjust clearance with neck braces?

How's the overall fit compare to other helmets?
the rear pad is adjustable or removable, I had just been playing around with the fit. Don't know what (if any) effect it would have with neck braces.

Fit is very good imo, but obviously will depend somewhat on head shape. However, they do ship with several pad sets so there's a very good chance of getting it properly snug!

That thing is sweet. Is it a buckle or D-ring? Where did you buy it?
It's sliding buckle thing. I'm a D-ring fan but have to admit that this is actually very good, especially undoing it.

The cheek pads and rear pad can also be removed while still on the head in emergency situations.

I'm lucky enough to know the UK importer. So when my old THE carbon was due for the bin he stepped in to sort me out - happy days :) There are a good number of stores starting to stock the kit over here now, dunno what the plan for worldwide domination is yet. Can you get Sweet Snow or Kayak gear in the US?