Quantcast

Lighting Systems?

aaron

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
I am looking for a lighting system for an upcoming 24 hour race. The Nite Rider digital systems look to be the best. I can't decide if I should get a helmet mounted system or a handlebar mounted system.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Aaron

bentforkx

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
At my last 24 hrs of Adrenalin race, I used BOTH types of lighting, helmet and handlebar. The bars show where the bike is going, and the helmet sees the low lying branch the bar lighting didn't.
I personally use BLT lighting system, a division of NORCO, unlike someother companies, it is REALLY easy to get spare parts, like bulbs, longer cords, extra batteries, and you WILL need them at the race. Hope this helps, and good luck.

R

RideMonkey

So maybe the best setup is to have a powerful bar mounted light, and a light weight, low wattage helmet mount?

redrider

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
C.V. Illinois
I have done many 24hr. races and helmet and bar lights are the way to go. I have a nite-rider helmet and a battery handlebar light(bring extra batteries fo both light systems). Good luck and have fun at the race! Are you doing the Winter Park race?

R

RideMonkey

I'm doing 24 hours of Tahoe, and Moab. Is there a 24 in Winterpark?

Jul 6, 2001
Maryland
I have a Marwi system that I really like, but I'll rent a nite rider at my next race because of the great support. Of course, you get that same great support if you buy the nite riders, but why not try out handle bar and head mounts before you buy. I prefer the bar mounts because they really make the technical stuff stand out (thats good!). The helmet mounts tend to flatten them deceptively (thats bad!). Just have fun. Come out to 24 Hours of Seven Springs in Penn. on Labor day weekend. It's a low profile affair, more grass roots, less sponsorhip and a ton of fun. FWF

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
Helmit mounts let you move the light where you want to see wihhout having to turn the wheel that way. That's good.

Eintrach

Chimp
Jul 3, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Helmet mount and two bar mounts. You will be happy with the headtrip and you probably wont need both bar mounts, but it is good to have a backup.

urquattro

Chimp
Jul 24, 2001
Denver
My opinion is to go with a NiteRider dual beam. I've done 24 Hrs of Moab 3 times w/ this system and ridden through 100 degree weather, rain, snow, blowing sand, and a few rough crashes--never had a problem. This race had Niterider support and so charging was never a problem. A helmet mount would be good, too. Should help with depth perception. HTH!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
If you only afford one light I'd go with the helmet mount. I've been night riding since the '80's when we used generators. I personnaly use a Digital Night owl and a Digital Headtrip Pro. On the road I'll use the bar but off road just the helmet until I'm going really fast. Helmet mounts also allow you to do repairs a lot more easily.

You can't go wrong with Nightrider product. Its tough and reliable and works very well. But there are lots of good lights out there by other manufacturers too. The BLT stuff is very cost effective for one.

teflon

Chimp
Jul 8, 2001
Brisbane,Australia
Ive used both a helmet light and handle bar light (not at the same time) and both do the job well.
My helmet light is a 15w BLT, and have found it to have about 1 3/4hrs burn time with a really good light coverage.It also mounts easy,has a compact battery,RCA leads(so you can make them longer easy)and fits in a Hydrapack a snap!
If you use waterbottle prehaps the handlebar mount is the way to go though?!
Regardless,just go out there and get Dirty!

mreyher

Chimp
Aug 17, 2001
Dallas
My team did the 24 Hours of Rocky Hill last year and most of us ride every tues. nite here in Dallas.

Right now we use a Digital 12E on the bars and a Storm on the head.

The helmet light is the most important by far. And the Storm with 4 hours of HID light chages everything. I know the Storm is expensive... but it truly makes night riding a true alternative to the summer sun and heat here in TX.

The other thing.. is if you get some other light... and you see someone using a Storm... you will feel small and insignificant.

R

RideMonkey

I know what you are saying about those HID lights, they are amazing. Is your Storm reliable? Do you know how much extra batteries/bulbs are?

mreyher

Chimp
Aug 17, 2001
Dallas
Not sure about the cost of the bulb... I know it will be a bit more expensive.

The reliability has been great. I fell square on it once.. came off on a downhill section when my shoe caught on a tree. And I have taken two blows sqare on it from low fallen trees... enough to ring my bell.... and the thing keeps ticking.

I really love the Storm. I lets me ride about twice as much as I would otherwise.... and that is worth a lot to me.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I was spectating (is that a word?) at the 24 hours of Snowshoe a couple of years ago and someone had a prototype of the Cateye Stadium 3. It's the brightest light I've ever seen. I haven't seen the Storm yet, but I'd imagine it's about the same. It's kind of a bluish light which is a little freaky, but it lit up the woods like it was noon.

I can't speak from experience, but a lot of people that I know ride with a flood on the bar and a spot on the helmet. Most say if you're going to buy one light, buy the helmet first.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I was spectating (is that a word?) at the 24 hours of Snowshoe a couple of years ago and someone had a prototype of the Cateye Stadium 3. It's the brightest light I've ever seen. I haven't seen the Storm yet, but I'd imagine it's about the same. It's kind of a bluish light which is a little freaky, but it lit up the woods like it was noon.

I can't speak from experience, but a lot of people that I know ride with a flood on the bar and a spot on the helmet. Most say if you're going to buy one light, buy the helmet first.
I was at a 6 hour race this past weekend and some of my fiends had those blue light looking things. Wow. They did not use their handlebar lights at all. It's like the equivalent of a 60w head lamp.