Quantcast

Lightweight and blinged out 08' SOCOM w/ PUSHed Boxxer proto...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice bike, still think VPP rides weird. What tires you using on it? DH casings I hope? The stans filled tubes around here last a few rides and then are torn by rocks. I went back to TUBED tires. Let us know how those rims hold up, I am thinking they are soft like the TIOGA DH rims which means they stay true and gets small rim dings?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
2.5 Maxxis DHF DH ust, with a scoop of stans. I've had good experiences with 721's and they hold up quite well, and they're not soft. What is it you didn't like about the vpp? what shock/spring were you using?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Are you racing? What do you ride? I'll keep an eye out & say hello if I see you :)
Hey mate, didn't see this before we left. I was riding a GT DHi. We were in a massive green landrover defender with a big ugly green box bolted on the back of it - you probably saw it in the car park! :)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Now thats quite amusing, we were in the big blue VW bus parked right up next to you with some friends in a red VW next to us!

How did you do?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Now thats quite amusing, we were in the big blue VW bus parked right up next to you with some friends in a red VW next to us!

How did you do?
Haha, I thought you might say that! (You mentioned a riding GF on southerndownhill, and there's not a lot of girls at UK races as you know, and there were a couple next to us :))

I got on ok, crashed on both my runs so not great, got 3:24, 28th in senior. My mate (the owner of said landrover) won seniors. I've really got to learn how to ride like he does! Wasn't really feeling it all weekend, not helped by discovering a massive amount of play in my rear end - new pivot on its way!

You?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Small world sometimes. But yes, it was our first proper race, so we thought we would give it a crack & see how it goes.

Your mate must be pretty damn quick, 3 mins is a seriusly fast time down there! Not bad crashes I hope?

It went ok I think, practice was fine, if a bit hectic on the track. First race run was crap, I nearly binned it in the top black section, so was being a little cautious. Then I flatted off the sleeper drop & had to do the whole bottom section with the tyre flapping about all over the place. Ended with a 4.09 that run which was rubbish!

Second run I didn't realise they reseeded us based on first run times, and I was something like 5th from last. I managed to catch the guy in front of me coming into the second black wooded section after the tunnel. Gave him the 'rider' shout, and he stuck to his line all the way. I only managed to get past him by the 3 rock ledges where I took the low line & cut in by the switchbacks. Think I ended that one on a 3.42, so not the best, but knowing I could have done better, but I guess thats racing!

Going to do Rheola as well as we love that track, but may look for another series to have a go with, preferably something that doesn't trash your bike on the uplift...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Midlands is the best in terms of uplifts. Never had a bike damaged on one, and you'll get a LOT more runs in - normally 8-10 on saturday and 3-4 sunday morning.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
That sounds like a far better prospect! The one thing that draws me to the Dragons though is the tracks. We have done an uplift day at Bringewood which was a good day out, so may have to check them out for comparison.

Thankfully only one of my runs was on Jason's trailers, although that resulted in a nice collection of new features on my bike. Not as unlucky as my girlfriend though, she got to the top of the track for her second run to find her brake lever had been pulled out of the lever. No second run for her!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
We should probably stop hijacking this thread... ;) FWIW I think Bringewood is the worst Midlands track - not saying I don't like it, I just prefer Hopton, and Bala is in a different league. Entries for Bala will be released on www.pearcecycles.co.uk on May 1st, GET ON IT, best track in the UK.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Question about the cassette.... what's the small cog on that setup? Looks like its paired with a 38T ring.... What's the consensus on spinning that setup out?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
I got on ok, crashed on both my runs so not great, got 3:24, 28th in senior.
fek!! i got a 3.42 at the busa's and that was a clean run. there was a #bit# of a head wind and rain at that race tho. did it use the black run all the way down?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Yeah, with a tricky rooty corner at the top that wasn't at the BUSAs, and a couple of shortcuts open that weren't at the BUSAs. I did 3:36 at the BUSas. For comparison the fastest times at the BUSAs was 3:14, this time they were 3min0. (Rowan did a 2:56, but that's just silly :))

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, they are a fair bit faster. no head wind? i am a tiny guy so i sucked at the bottom section.

you were at the busa's? damn, i was going to ask but somehow though you might have been too old for it.

what bike were you riding? i was on a white commencal with 40's

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
definitely too old, hence why I was put in the "alumni" category (which i won, but there were only 8 of us). My time would have placed me 19th overall, but alumnis weren't put in the main results. Bike? GT DHi with boxxer teams.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
woah, you are not by any chance the guy who has welded up his rear triangle?

in that case, i have also ridden with you in coed trallwm? with dan, chris and mike grey?