Quantcast

Lightweight full-faced helmets?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi girls,

I am in the market for a lightweight, full-faced helmet. Last time that I was at Whistler, I got stuck with a helmet that made my ride less than perfect due to the heavy weight. My neck was in a lot of pain. Then, I rented a Bellistic and it was much lighter and didn't cause me any pain. However, I'd rather have a MX style helmet that is DOT / SNELL approved that is just as light.

Any recommendations?? Thanks a bunch!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Bike - Troy Lee Carbon
MX - Troy Lee or Arai

Unfortunately they're both a bit on the pricey side but both are pretty darn comfy.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Thanks for the advice! I checked out the Troy Lee helmets online. Do you ride with a DH or MX helmet?

BTW, I'm all about more pets and less kids. :) For now, anyway!

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
GrapeApe79 said:
Thanks for the advice! I checked out the Troy Lee helmets online. Do you ride with a DH or MX helmet?

BTW, I'm all about more pets and less kids. :) For now, anyway!
Velocity Girl uses the Troy Lee Carbon for DH riding, and the Arai for quad riding.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed that Fox put out a new carbon fiber MX helmet and it weighed twice as much as the DH carbon helmets from Specialized and Giro.

People concerned with maximum safety use MX helmets. I don't go so fast, so I figure a regular DH helmet is good enough for me.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Freak said:
Velocity Girl uses the Troy Lee Carbon for DH riding, and the Arai for quad riding.
Yup, what he said :)

I really like my Arai but I'm hoping to get a Troy Lee MX helmet within the next year though because I'm in love with this helmet :p

P.S....is that your pup in your avatar? Very cute!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Awesome guys, thanks for the advice!! Now I just have to decide if I want the Troy Lee Carbon DH or MX helmet. I'll need to go somewhere to try them on...

Velocity Girl, you're in the Seattle area and so am I (Issaquah). Do you know of a local retailer that might sell these helmets?

I am just really looking forward to riding again after all the rain stops!

The avatar is not my pug, but I do have a pug that is even cuter!! He used to go riding with me, but now he is too lazy. That's ok though.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
GrapeApe79 said:
Awesome guys, thanks for the advice!! Now I just have to decide if I want the Troy Lee Carbon DH or MX helmet. I'll need to go somewhere to try them on...

Velocity Girl, you're in the Seattle area and so am I (Issaquah). Do you know of a local retailer that might sell these helmets?

I am just really looking forward to riding again after all the rain stops!

The avatar is not my pug, but I do have a pug that is even cuter!! He used to go riding with me, but now he is too lazy. That's ok though.
Go with the MX. D2's are a joke safety wise.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
chicodude said:
Oh really? Care to explain?
Just go do a search in the DH Forum and you will see the many debates on MX vs DH helmets. Lots of opinions on both sides of the fence.

GrapeApe...Freak PM'd you with some info I believe. Unfortunately I don't know of any dealers in the area that actually stock the TLD DH helmets. A few of the moto shops probably have the MX helmets though.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
what about Giro Switchblade

Weight-665 g

i dont think there is pink version but still its great helmet, my friend have oneand its very light and very "windproof" :)

i dont know if they make them anymore..:nopity:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Downhiller said:

Weight-665 g

i dont think there is pink version but still its great helmet, my friend have oneand its very light and very "windproof" :)

Unfortunately those are not going to provide the same protection as a DH specific or MX helmet. Yes, they are lightweight and keep you cool, but the helmet (or head) would have been mangled in some of the dh crashes I've seen, and taken!!!

Sure dh and mx helmets are hot, but just like everything...you get used to it after a bit.

As for weight of a dh vs mx helmet. Yes, the mx helmet is going to weigh more, so each person needs to figure out the pro and cons of that situation for themselves.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
very lightweight helmet i have i buyed week ago, it was M2R carbon mx helmet, its really great, but just BIG , friend say i look like alien...

weight is around 1100 g
here it is:

i payed around 325 $

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Are there any light mx helmets for about $200 or less. It would be cool to have dylan or someone paint it. Does anyone have a full face template? I want to play with some design in photoshop.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
mtnbrider said:
Are there any light mx helmets for about $200 or less?
new? probably not. that's about the entry level price of a fully-rated MX helmet.

that said, i don't think my HFC is that heavy, but then again i've never used carbon fiber helmets, nor did i think that paying twice the price (or more) was worth it for me.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
amateur said:
Go with the MX. D2's are a joke safety wise.
Unless you have data to back it up, quit freaking posting that in every helmet thread that's got a D2 mentioned.

I'm wearing a M2R this season, pretty light for an MX helmet, much cheaper than an SE, although i don't think the venting is as good, but still a nice helmet.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
mtnbrider said:
Are there any light mx helmets for about $200 or less. It would be cool to have dylan or someone paint it. Does anyone have a full face template? I want to play with some design in photoshop.

Like i said above the M2R is under 2, the new HJC design is fairly light. You can probably get closeouts of some of the previous years high end helmets from bigger moto online stores around 200ish.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
carbon fiber anything should be just as light and very strong, maybe the fox or the TLD

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
aggrorider said:
I have one of these on the way. It's a giro remedy. It's weighs in at 2 lbs. Made out of Carbon Fiber. Set you back $250

www.giro.com

That is a sweet helmet. What type of strap does it have? I really like the buckle on my Vigor.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Uh, Gary, it's true. None of the non-mx helmets do much for ya if you actually crash on your face. I would know. Mx is the way to go-I think the V3 by Fox is the lightest. Otherwise it's just image-fullface vs. skid lid. I just got the Moto 8 by Bell-nice.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Heath Sherratt said:
Uh, Gary, it's true. None of the non-mx helmets do much for ya if you actually crash on your face. I would know. Mx is the way to go-I think the V3 by Fox is the lightest. Otherwise it's just image-fullface vs. skid lid. I just got the Moto 8 by Bell-nice.
Hard to day, yours smashed in...but then again I've seen several of those helmets do that, actually saw a female do it once, Wentz's TLD held when he crashed the year before. It's hard to say, it's not something that gets tested. But it's hard to say in general about helmets cause the only we know if they passed a standard, no one really knows if the standard is really that good or not, or even how well the helmet passed.

That being said I'd wearing an MX lid this season.

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
Some one mentioned 661. they have a new helmet called the Hurricane Flight. Looks super good and is very light. Similar in size to TLD moto.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think I mention 661. The flight moto is $375 and the youth is like $200 (i think). The launch is only $125, but its probably heavy.

I will look into the v3. Which HJC is light and around $200?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
mtnbrider said:
I think I mention 661. The flight moto is $375 and the youth is like $200 (i think). The launch is only $125, but its probably heavy.

I will look into the v3. Which HJC is light and around $200?

Don't know the HJC model....hit up the moto shops and look at what they have

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
Downhiller said:

Weight-665 g

...I did a search for one of these and can't find one...does anybody have a link???do they sell them in the states????

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yea 661 flight moto is a good choice its verrry light, but its 325 dollars so yea depends on how much your willing to spend

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Vamoose II carbon, according to Go-Rides website, is one of the lightest DH helmets out.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Heath Sherratt said:
KTMSX- the Switchblade by Giro is no longer made for the reasons I posted earlier-they do nothing for your face if you fall on it.

Mine saved me 2-3 times on light crashes. But I do agree it is more of a XC helmet. Im glad they dont make it anymore.

Tuff*Stuff

Chimp
Jun 23, 2003
North Bend
I wear a 661and it is very comfy. Very durable too. It has come in handy and saved my brain many a time doing the face plant dance!!!

My husband wears a Giro Mad Max and he loves his.

Though I would love to own a TLD!!!!