Quantcast

Lightweight full-faced helmets?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Heath Sherratt said:
KTMSX- the Switchblade by Giro is no longer made for the reasons I posted earlier-they do nothing for your face if you fall on it.

Not true. The Switchblade was not designed as a substitute for a full face DH/FR helmet, and it said as much all over the packaging and advertising. Personally the Switchblade has saved me from needing facial reconstructive surgery at least once (took a nice face slide over some shale). Some people did break their faceguards in really bad crashes, but 1) they were most often using the helmet for riding it was not intended for (DH/FR) and 2) no one wants to acknowledge the facial damage that they would have sustained if they had had no faceguard at all, which would have been much worse.

The TRUE REASON GIRO STOPPED MAKING THE SWITCHBLADE IS THAT THE PROFIT MARGIN WAS NOT HIGH ENOUGH COMPARED TO ALL THEIR OTHER HIGH END HELMETS. The Switchblade was handmade in Europe; Giro was able to shift production of every other helmet in their line to China. Yes, even the fancy-pants Atmos road helmet costs them a tiny fraction of the inflated retail price because it can be mass produced in China. The bottom line is that Giro didn't care if they were providing a valuable service to a part of the MTB community at a slightly reduced profit, but were only interested in how they could re-allocate their resources to make the most money, innovation and niche filling be damned.

And for lightweight helmets, check out the Specialized Deviant. The Fiberglass version supposedly weighs in at around 1,000 g, which is pretty light. Carbon fiber is lighter, but also quite spendy.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ I was thinking the same thing about them being for the xc rider that wanted another a little more protection.

Those helmets look nice, but I want a moto helmet, that is a decent weight.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
One of these days I will take my moto helmet out on the mtb.just to see if it is that much heavier??? It does not bother me while riding the dirtbike...!!!!.....I have seen alot of helmets out there similar to the switchblade..like others have said it has to help having something to help with protection....I am doing a lot of riding at night so I am going to get something fullfaced........

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When some others and I were going to ride the local DH course yesterday and working on it, I asked someone how his 661 launch was. He said he had a bell bellistic (light) before he got the launch. He said it is heavier, but when he rides with it, he doesn't notice.