Quantcast

Lightweight/trail full face

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I know there was a thread on here somewhere about lightweight full face helmets for trail riding, but I can’t seem to find it. If someone is better at internetting than I am, send the link and I’ll delete this one. Just curious if anyone has experience with any of them. I had a stupid crash yesterday and came real close to losing a tooth or two, or smashing my face up pretty good. I’ve thought about running a full face for some of the trails we ride and yesterday was a good wake up call. Any of them worth a shit? I’ve been poking around checking out the Smith Mainline, Fox Proframe etc. TLD half lids don’t fit my head very well. At least the A2 didn’t. My Bell 4Forty fits me well (although it’s toast after yesterday) but I’m not sure I’m game for a helmet with a removable chin guard. Anyone have experience/input?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I run a Proframe and like it. It does not sit as solid on the head as a full face DH helmet, so doesn't give me the same confidence when riding. Pretty well ventilated. I use it mainly for bigger dirt jumps and some technical trails. Not sure how solid the chin guard is, looks weaker than those on DH helmets. One little annoying thing is the fixed peak. Luckily its angle works for me, but check before you buy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A riding buddy just got a super lightweight IXS trail FF from CRC. Might be worth a look.
He seems happy with it so far.
Polish_20220710_134312486.png

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've had plenty of TLD and Fox helmets (including Stage), and find they both fit me well. So if TLD doesn't fit well, I'd guess Fox won't either. Helmets that seemed to be a quite different shape for me in the past from TLD/Fox/Smith are POC and Bell.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Mainline feels a lot more solid than the Stage, and fits me better. My main complaint with the Manline is that the mips liner is pretty noisy. But otherwise it's nice.

I've got a POC Otocon on the way, I'll report back.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I've had plenty of TLD and Fox helmets (including Stage), and find they both fit me well. So if TLD doesn't fit well, I'd guess Fox won't either. Helmets that seemed to be a quite different shape for me in the past from TLD/Fox/Smith are POC and Bell.
I’ve had a Fox dh helmet that fit well actually. The TLD just dug into my forehead. HAB, every review I’ve read on the Mainline says the same thing about the MIPS noise.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a Smith Mainline and it is really good. Light, well ventilated and the fit is great for me. Yes, the MIPS liner rubs and make some noise, but it's not that bad. Not sure how much it helped, but I strategically place some (soft side) velcro between the shell and the MIPS to minimize the rubbing sound.

What was unacceptable for me was my glasses (Oakley Sutro) knocking in the helmet while riding. Problem easily solved by wearing goggles. :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Still worth trying if you can. The Fox Proframe didn't work with my noggin, but the TLD Stage was fine.

Apparently the new Specialized trail FF is pretty decent, also Endura and Leatt make one now too.

1657513591719.png

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I run a Proframe and like it. It does not sit as solid on the head as a full face DH helmet, so doesn't give me the same confidence when riding. Pretty well ventilated. I use it mainly for bigger dirt jumps and some technical trails. Not sure how solid the chin guard is, looks weaker than those on DH helmets. One little annoying thing is the fixed peak. Luckily its angle works for me, but check before you buy.
Proframe is not a helmet I like, seen too many (3) where the jawbone has basically imploded.

I do like the IXS Trigger, bonus points in that it has a solid structure built into the jaw that wraps up around the rest of the helmet giving it a lot more strength than the Fox or Kali.
That said the Leatt 4.0 enduro I love!
Detachable jaw bone but I've given a really good face first into a tree @ about 25-30kmph and it held up perfectly.
I couldn't find damage to anything but the jaw which had a minor crack on 1 side, but it stayed on & held it's shape.
Brought another one as when it comes to helmets I don't take chances these days.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I ended up with the IXS Trigger. Holy shit is it light. I ended up using it after a half day in my 100% full on DH helmet at Killington on Friday. I wasn’t planning on using it for DH, but it hot as balls up here. Used it again all day yesterday. Made a huge difference ventilation wise obviously. I’m pretty impressed with the fit and function of it. Nice to have the dial adjustment in the back. The only gripe I have is the chin bar sits a bit close for my liking. Not terrible though. Maybe it’s because I sized down after reading the reviews. No reports on how it does in an impact thankfully. It is definitely light enough and ventilated enough for me to use it on a rowdy trail ride. A buddy of mine had a slow speed face plant into some rocks in front of me while wearing his TLD Stage. Scuffed it up pretty good and no damage to his helmet or his face. Also the visor on that is made of a very flexible plastic. Really impressed that it didn’t break.