Quantcast

Little Monkeys

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Mariko approves of your kid's Hello Kitty choices. (Note tiny sticker on her sweatshirt in the last photo I posted, extracted from one of those Easter eggs.)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Long and frigid "covered" BMX race last Saturday in Endicott, NY...kid almost didn't make it due to 3 hour "delay" before main, but he eventually pulled out a 2nd in his class. Tough season opener! Said kid is #79 to the right.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Growing up seriously fast. I'll be lucky if this new whip last a year. Once I taught her how to do donuts, it was all over. :rofl:

The street test ride Friday:

Dirt on Saturday:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
any of you guys had to deal with an overbearing grandparent? my wife's mom is driving us both up the wall, it's at the point we're straight just not speaking to her right now

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No...luckily (or unluckily) both grandmothers are elderly...they're like "whatever...!" :happydance:
:stupid: or deed. But I watch 2 of my sisters who are now grandmas and they be nuts. While I am the cool grandpa now to my little man, his grandma has decided to disown him because her son didn't disown me. But that's a whole other issue. :rofl:

Speaking of little man. I love this pic.

Blue Steele. :rofl:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
For double protection, don't tell them where you moved to.

We are pretty lucky, have both sets of grandparents. Any of them will pretty much watch our kid whenever we want them to and don't bug the crap out of us.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
any of you guys had to deal with an overbearing grandparent? my wife's mom is driving us both up the wall, it's at the point we're straight just not speaking to her right now
Thankfully no, but we have had to set ground rules for them. My father swears SO much (truly, 8-10 times per 5 minutes) and he puts people down so he's on warning to be on his best behavior or he will visit with my girls via video chat (they live 45 minutes away) if he's lucky. I'm kind of a bitch (in case you were wondering) and won't tolerate negative sexist comments around my girls so he's on his best behavior now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
who out there has a bike chariot / tow behind kid trailer sort of thing? brands to look for? brands to avoid? they have to be able to sit upright on their own, right?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
who out there has a bike chariot / tow behind kid trailer sort of thing? brands to look for? brands to avoid? they have to be able to sit upright on their own, right?
I have a trailer. $50 off the local neighborhood swap page, fits two kids with shoulder belts, has a rain cover. It has a handle and a tiny front wheel to use for jogging, supposedly, but looks worlds worse than the Bob for that.

I'd go used and go cheap. They're not some fancy bit of kit, and at some point you're going to sell it. Might as well buy it for that pre-depreciated price already.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had a Burley Solo for Maddie and that thing was awesome. It was skinnier than others being a solo and handled well. I had the frame mount adapter on the exs bike and had the disc brake mount for my hardtail. It replaced the rear skewer and the trailer mounted there, it was slick. Burley is based in Eugene (or used to be, I think).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
concur with toshi on all points. you'll use it for a year or two max, probably less frequently than you think, and before you know it your kid will want a tagalong or be riding on their own. i have one taking up space in the garage that i'd give you for free if you lived closer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
concur with toshi on all points. you'll use it for a year or two max, probably less frequently than you think, and before you know it your kid will want a tagalong or be riding on their own. i have one taking up space in the garage that i'd give you for free if you lived closer.
their useful life depends on how creative you are. a corny keg is about the size/weight of a small child

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, you're in canada right? otherwise i'd be willing to pay shipping for it, if it wasn't for customs

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm in nc. ours is second (maybe third) hand. and an "in-step"-not that high end to begin with. hooked to the rear axle of my wife's old stumpy, which has a standard old-skool qr. i'm sure you can find something comparable local that would cost less than shipping...but pm me and i can send pics if you like.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Dicipline question... I will have to scroll through this thread when I get home to see prior responses, but quick DL: Little Man is getting in trouble every day at school for the last three weeks. I've had his teacher call me, email me, and he stole a book from the school library (ripped the tags off the spine, though he says his friend gave it to him of course). He's been grounded from everything for 7 days and just had a few days of privileges before an email today. My initial thought is he will be helping me with everything, and doing some manual labor tonight while I stop fuming and wait for Buffalo to get home and discuss as a family.

Any thoughts out there? I am at wits end. I don't believe in beating him, but am sure *this close*

Ok shoot.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Dicipline question... I will have to scroll through this thread when I get home to see prior responses, but quick DL: Little Man is getting in trouble every day at school for the last three weeks. I've had his teacher call me, email me, and he stole a book from the school library (ripped the tags off the spine, though he says his friend gave it to him of course). He's been grounded from everything for 7 days and just had a few days of privileges before an email today. My initial thought is he will be helping me with everything, and doing some manual labor tonight while I stop fuming and wait for Buffalo to get home and discuss as a family.

Any thoughts out there? I am at wits end. I don't believe in beating him, but am sure *this close*

Ok shoot.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Ok shoot.
ipucac / chloroform

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
jon, I bought a iBert Frog bike seat, and my kid so far loves it. Everything recommends not using any sort of seat below 1 year because of neck strength. The CPSC does not allow helmet mfgs to build a helmet for a child under 1, but specialized makes the smallest helmet I've found. I like the ibert because the kid is between my elbows and easily observed and therefore protected. The trailer might be a good idea, but I worried about shock absorption and not being able to see if she was getting fussy. The only trailers with suspension were the chariot brand, which is now part of another brand (can't remember which). I wouldn't worry about the shocks once they're a bit older, but early on I wanted a ride that wouldn't be as jarring on the shitty roads around here.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I bought one for CHEAP at Target or Wal Mart or something 7 years ago. We don't use it for the child, but it is still in great condition. A little less posh, of course, but completely functional for 1.5 years of use!