Quantcast

Living in Las Vegas

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe this isn't the right forum to post a question like this but I didn't find a reigonal forum that seemed appropriate. Nevertheless, I know that most of the DH community holds Bootleg Canyon in high reguard and interbike is in Vegas and it generates a lot of hype on the downhill forum so why not ask questions about las vegas in the downhill forum?

My wife gave me the the go ahead to start looking for a job in Vegas, rather she told me that's where she wants to move within a few years so I better find a job before she starts packing up. I've visited vegas a few times, far less than most people I suppose so I'm not really sure what to think of the area. I've known a handfull of people who live there and they say that the locals that don't work on the strip never go anywhere near it for any reason. There seems to be a pretty family oriented community and housing is looking pretty affordable in comparison to southern california.

A quick superpages search turned up several bike shops with both roadie sounding names and off roadie sounding names. Aside from bootleg canyon is there much ridding in the area? What else do people who live in Vegas do, I'm really trying to get away from the lifted pickups with Skin decals, trucker hats, high class redneck culture in So Cal. What's it really like living in Vegas, sandwitched between California the land of fruits and nuts and Utah the land of, well, having lived there as well, I'd say fruits and nuts with freezing winters and boilling summers.

I'd like to pack up and move to Oregon or Washington, finding work shouldn't be a problem there, but it's pretty far from either my wife's family or my own, which is why my wife decided Las Vegas would be best, as it sits comfortably inbetween So Cal and Wyoming, without being So Cal, Wyoming or Utah.

Any lurkers who currently live in LV, any who have lived ther who want to share some insight?

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
I don't live in Las Vegas, but I go to Bootleg Canyon a lot...in fact, I just got back a few hours ago! On the way back, I showed my wife a new neighborhood that has BRAND NEW houses going for around 150,000.00 YIKES! I wanna move there! Great schools, lotsa jobs...family town (Well Henderson and Boulder City)

I'm with ya! I wanna move there too...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
im guessing you never made the move since your location is still OR on your profile?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I don't live in Las Vegas, but I go to Bootleg Canyon a lot...in fact, I just got back a few hours ago! On the way back, I showed my wife a new neighborhood that has BRAND NEW houses going for around 150,000.00 YIKES! I wanna move there! Great schools, lotsa jobs...family town (Well Henderson and Boulder City)

I'm with ya! I wanna move there too...
Man times have changed.

Nevada unemployment rate
11.8%(p) in Sep 2012

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I enjoyed living in Las Vegas in the winter for mountain biking. I would ride plenty of dh and x-c. I spent most days riding at Blue Diamond or Bootleg Canyon. Blue Diamond was used to get my confidence and endurance levels high. Then a few days at Bootleg Canyon to let me know I am only a sport level rider, and not the expert rider I thought I was at Blue Diamond.
All in all I became a better rider and saw tons of sweet Nevada desert. Also, from Las Vegas you are driving distance to Moab, St. George area, Sedona + other epic locations for more choices.
Then again this is coming from someone who lives in the Arctic!

Last edited: