Quantcast

Lizard recommendations - Banshee Rune shock options

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
Hey everyone,

Been ripping my Rune for a couple years now and it’s been a wonderful frame. Recently blew up the rear shock - Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS - and am wanting something new on account of the fact its failed me multiple times (the first two times it failed me within just a couple rides of getting the frame/shock new and were warrantied) and the ultimate thought that the shock never really rode as nice as all the hype said it should.

I have also ridden an old Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 coil on this frame when waiting for warranty/service and it felt wonderful. Unfortunately, I can’t just use this shock.

Anywho, what shock are you all running on your Runes? DVO, Fox X2 (air or coil?), Rock Shox Monarch (can get one cheap and I am poor)?

About me:
~145lbs aggressive rider. Big jumps, steeps, rocks, etc. I ride this bike in the bike park (whistler) about a month a year as well as everywhere else in the Pacific Northwest (live in Bellingham, Washington) and travel to Oregon and B.C. Quite frequently depending on the season.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hey everyone,

Been ripping my Rune for a couple years now and it’s been a wonderful frame. Recently blew up the rear shock - Cane Creek Double Barrel Air CS - and am wanting something new on account of the fact its failed me multiple times (the first two times it failed me within just a couple rides of getting the frame/shock new and were warrantied) and the ultimate thought that the shock never really rode as nice as all the hype said it should.

I have also ridden an old Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 coil on this frame when waiting for warranty/service and it felt wonderful. Unfortunately, I can’t just use this shock.

Anywho, what shock are you all running on your Runes? DVO, Fox X2 (air or coil?), Rock Shox Monarch (can get one cheap and I am poor)?

About me:
~145lbs aggressive rider. Big jumps, steeps, rocks, etc. I ride this bike in the bike park (whistler) about a month a year as well as everywhere else in the Pacific Northwest (live in Bellingham, Washington) and travel to Oregon and B.C. Quite frequently depending on the season.
I have an 8.5x2.5 Avalanche DHX5 if you are interested. It was tuned for Mojo HD 160 which does not have significantly dissimilar leverage ratio curve from the Rune.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For that frame get something you can load up with spacers for bottoming prevention or something like an RC4 with a bottom-out adjuster.

I've got a Monarch with M/L tune for sale if you want one of those.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Looking at the banshee leverage rates, it looks like they all go regressive at the end of travel, which is the opposite of what you want if you are going to run a coil. Perhaps X2 air?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
You might want to head over to MTBR and PM Keith Scott (Banshee designer). I've had conversations with him about various after-market options for the Spitfire; he's pretty open about everything he's tested on his bikes.