Quantcast

Lock-on grips and carbon bars?

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
A bad idea? I've got a new pair of odi lock-on's I'd like to use and the only bars I have are the easton carbon DH bars. Any thoughts?

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Doesn't seem to be but I'm not too sure. I was thinking that the lock-on rings may scratch a bit which, I think, may weaken the carbon fiber a bit. Prolly wrong and it wouldn't hurt a bit. I just get a bit paranoid in the handlebar department and want some assurance.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I have used them for years (ODI lockons with Easton carbon bars) on all sorts of my athletes bikes. Never had a problem-I can not say the same for bar ends on carbon bars...havent had much luck-even with a hard plastic insert to support bar. But lockons-its all good

Stikman
Dirt Magazine
Team GT/HYUNDAI

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Joey
A bad idea? I've got a new pair of odi lock-on's I'd like to use and the only bars I have are the easton carbon DH bars. Any thoughts?
if you are worried about them, just imagien what that stem is doing!;)

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Umm, yeah, I am actually. The easton DH carbon bars. Why do you ask?

Edit: Does the "from the hospital comment have anything to do with it? :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've been running ODI Lockons with Easton Carbon bars no problem. You don't need to put the clamps on very tight at all.

I don't see how the grips do anything to the bar that shifters and brake levers don't do.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Originally posted by Echo
I've been running ODI Lockons with Easton Carbon bars no problem. You don't need to put the clamps on very tight at all.

I don't see how the grips do anything to the bar that shifters and brake levers don't do.
Very good point. Makes sense to me :p

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I ran ODI lock-ons on the Easton DH bar for a year with no problems. The thing that killed the bar was the Hayes Mag Lever clamps. Anything you clamp the bar with just make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges that will cut into the bar causing stress risers.

Mike

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i watched a guy snap an easton monkey light on a small (~3') drop. it broke between the shifter and the grip, so i'm assuming there must have been a stress rider at that point. didnt look like fun, regardless. i had been running the same bar on my dh bike up until then, but got spooked & pulled it in favor of a protaper.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I am a tweeker on things sometimes and I think I'm going to go with aluminum just for the peace of mind. I'm moving back to Vegas at the end of summer and Boulder City has a way of tearing things up.