Quantcast

Locking bicycles up in open truck bed ?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I like to walk with my girlfriend and then ride the bike sometimes. I need to lock the bike up to the truck bed though first. Any idea/products out there that allow you to lock the bike up in the truck bed (I.E. to the truck bed) but that is secure so it can't be removed? I have a thick giant masterlock chain (was like $40-50) that seems like it'd be hard to cut (especially in a private park).

I have some hoops on the sides of my bed but the chain isn't long enough and the hooks aren't big enough. SO I imprivise with a U-lock and my lock but would like the idea of one single lock/device much better.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Well when you leave the bikes in the truck (even when locked) they can easily be stolen. A big set of shears will do wonders to a chain. Buy one of the kryptonite locks so you can get your bikes covered if they do get stolen.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No lock will safeguard your bike. I have yet to come upon a consumer method that isn't gotten through (Be it picking, breaking, etc). Generally speaking, a lock is a deterrent and a time waster for a thief. The more locks, the merrier. Hence, my suggestion is to lock up your bike with 2 or 3 sturdy locks. :)

Also, Masterlock sucks. Easy to pick.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I was thinking about a cover like:

http://www.softopper.com

But, it's $600.

Or, you could have made or make a canvas sheet that would (maybe mount at the top/rear of the cab) go over the bikes (ending at the tailgate). Then you could connect to the bed rails somehow. If done right, it wouldn't look bad.

The latter would definitely be cheaper, but might not detter/hide from theft. It would certainly keep the bikes clean/dry and help arodynamics.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
mtnbrider said:
I was thinking about a cover like:

http://www.softopper.com

But, it's $600.

Or, you could have made or make a canvas sheet that would (maybe mount at the top/rear of the cab) go over the bikes (ending at the tailgate). Then you could connect to the bed rails somehow. If done right, it wouldn't look bad.

The latter would definitely be cheaper, but might not detter/hide from theft. It would certainly keep the bikes clean/dry and help arodynamics.
so how does that deter a theif? sure they cant see the bikes but if they wanna steal stuff out of your truck thats jsut begging to be torn open with a big ole knife

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I'd suggest getting a locking quick-release; so not only will it keep your bike upright in your truck bed, it locks it in there as well (by the fork). If you're doubly paranoid, get a chain to secure the frame to another point on the truck bed (like one of those loops you were mentioning).

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=44

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
i use a kryptonite cable that i wrap around the bumper then through the bikes and wheels, i think it's 18' could be longer. I then have a smaller kryptonite cable that i secure the end of the other cable to.
For added protection when i'm feeling uncomfortable i then lock the cables to the bike with a Ulock.
I feel more comfortable with the kryptonite cables than I do just putting the bikes in the truck, glass is less of a deterrent than a nice hardy cable.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
i use a kryptonite cable that i wrap around the bumper then through the bikes and wheels, i think it's 18' could be longer. I then have a smaller kryptonite cable that i secure the end of the other cable to.
For added protection when i'm feeling uncomfortable i then lock the cables to the bike with a Ulock.
I feel more comfortable with the kryptonite cables than I do just putting the bikes in the truck, glass is less of a deterrent than a nice hardy cable.
This the best and most economical way. Get a big ass chrome padlock. I always locked it to the hitch because getting to the lock is pain. Cutting one of those cables isn't all that easy to do.

The whole idea is to deter folks from even giving your stuff a second look, so visible is best.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The Toninator said:
so how is the rack secured that it keeps people from just unscrewing it?
Thats a bad design. The best ones have the screw holes in such a manner that the quick release has to be out of it to access them.

However you can make it work. Just make sure that the backside of the bolt is well lubricated so that you have to have a wrench on it to get it off.

Again the trick is no matter how you lock it make it visible and time consuming.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Is your truck really nice? If not, drill a hole with a hole saw about 3" below one of the stack pockets. I've done this on my last 2 trucks with no issues. I even left my DH bike in this Whistler lot locked this way. Dumb, I know.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
lovebunny said:
so how does that deter a theif? sure they cant see the bikes but if they wanna steal stuff out of your truck thats jsut begging to be torn open with a big ole knife
Deter, because there is a lower chance of thieves noticing bikes, therefore, less chance of theft. I can't imagine theifs looking in every truck top. The way I see it, is that, they would just overlook it and something sticking out/uncovered, in the open, would catch their eye.

Of course, if they could get into the bed if they wanted. The bikes should still be locked under a bed top.

J

JRB

buildyourown said:
Is your truck really nice? If not, drill a hole with a hole saw about 3" below one of the stack pockets. I've done this on my last 2 trucks with no issues. I even left my DH bike in this Whistler lot locked this way. Dumb, I know.
Are they just too amazed that you cut a 3" hole in your truck to steal your bikes, or what??? I have to tell you, I need far more description of this to know what the hell you are talking about. :think:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
DRB said:
Thats a bad design. The best ones have the screw holes in such a manner that the quick release has to be out of it to access them.

if they could do the wrench removal, they'd end up with a bike they couldnt put a front wheel on

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Spunger said:
Hey guys,

I like to walk with my girlfriend and then ride the bike sometimes. I need to lock the bike up to the truck bed though first. Any idea/products out there that allow you to lock the bike up in the truck bed
3 options:

1. Topper / Shell, etc.
2. Van
3. No Girlfriend

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
also, get something like the Krypto NYC chain/lock and lock the two bikes together. you need to make it clear to the thief that even if he is able to cut through the locks holding them to the bed, he's still going to have to carry off 75+ pounds instead of riding off on one of them. the more locks the merrier (and use a smaller cable to go through wheels, frames, etc), as basically ANYTHING can be stolen with a small period of a thief's time. you just need enough locks/cables/etc to make it not worth his time. if you're really in that bad of an area, you might lose anything just bolted to the frame, ie saddles/seatposts, stems, etc.

(I looped two chains around 2 downhill bikes and made sure to loop it around the 100lb tent that we had brought up to Mt Snow. no issues)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Those are all excellent ideas guys!

No my truck isn't that nice, 91 k1500. I looked at some of the options and they seem like they'd work fine. One thing is I have 3 bikes and only 1 of them is a QR front (others are 20mm) but I never planned on leaving them alone in the back of my truck unlocked. But I would if I could find a secure way to lock them.

Wouldn't something like a long motocycle cable work? Those are usually pretty thick. The chain-cable I have now is like the krypto chain cable but has a lock/head built in each end. It has to weigh around 30lbs or so. It wasn't as beefy as the krypto locks but was one down. I wouldn't want to try and cut it. It is this one

I can't get rid of my my girlfriend or a camper shell. I'd just like a more secure way of locking it up. I'd drill/cut a hole in my bed as long as it worked for locking it up to. One problem is though the chain is short so it's hard to find a spot to do this with. That's why I thought about a thick moto lock cable because they are thicker than the standard bicycle cable.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
there are some simple solutions..
1. if you really want to, drill 2 decent sizes holes in ur bed, and run a krytonite chain around it(and your bike, dur) wait buildyourown beat me to that..damn! what he means is drill a hole in the truck and loop the chain, so they'd have to take the bed with em..and when he saysstack pockets are the bed's support beams..but i'd wrap it around the frame of the truck too..
2. take ur front tire off and put the whole thing in the car.
3. forget the gf and ride
4. get a cheaper cover, like a tonneau cover, lie the bike on its side and zip it up, people can open it but i doubt they will..200 bucks for one i think

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
okay, your bike is lying on its side in the bed..so you drill 2 holes in your truck.one going from the bed towards the ground, and then loop it back from the other side aruond a support frmo the bed and then aruond the bike and locking it..therefore, making a strong locking guard for the bike..

Jun 18, 2004
I use a masterlock python and common sense... I loop it through the bed tie down thingy's... if I'm in the city I won't let my bike out of sight for long...