Quantcast

looking for a helmet that doesn't trigger gag-reflex

ihavezippers

Chimp
Jun 8, 2007
I guess I am "sensitive" but all the helmets I see on the market still secure the helmet to your head by pressing the strap under your chin. Sometimes, given my "sensitive" nature, this really sets off the ol gag reflex, and I have to undo the strap...but what good is riding around with a helmet on and no strap?

Are there any helemts that maybe strap to your chin? I thought I remember seeing a helmet at some point in my life that had a plastic/rubber-looking chin-pad-thing, from which the strap was secured...that would be great given my "Sensitivity."

Thanks

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I have never seen a legit road helmet that secures to one's chin.
Try fiddling with the straps on your favorite current helmet. You can adjust the fore-aft position of the under-the-chin strap more than you might think. The nerves that set of your gag reflex are mostly in one area, so find a spot where you don't hit them and viola! You can also try loosening the ol' chin strap a bit. A slightly loose chin strap is still yards better than an unbuckled one.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have never seen a legit road helmet that secures to one's chin.
Try fiddling with the straps on your favorite current helmet. You can adjust the fore-aft position of the under-the-chin strap more than you might think. The nerves that set of your gag reflex are mostly in one area, so find a spot where you don't hit them and viola! You can also try loosening the ol' chin strap a bit. A slightly loose chin strap is still yards better than an unbuckled one.
That's what I'd suggest. Try and play with the side slider things to get the position right. The strap shouldn't be so tight that it hurts or annoys you. And, yes, a loose strap is better than none at all.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
You definitely want it to be tight(er). Last winter I was riding XC and had my helmet strap loosened so I could wear a hat underneath. I took the hat off, left the straps loose, took a digger and the helmet actually flew right off my head and rolled down the trail. Now, I definitely tighten it up all the time. Once I'm having fun, I don't notice it at all.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Oh, for sure, chin straps can definitely be too loose. The trick, especially if you're sensitive to such things, is to get a decent setup while giving yourself just enough slack so you're not choking yourself and the strap doesn't cut viciously into your throat when you open your mouth.

I have to tighten my helmet straps on a semi-regular basis, usually at the top of the mountain. I suspect that it has something to do with the buckets of sweat soaking the straps.