Quantcast

Looking for A new Bike

Tammy2

Chimp
May 8, 2008
I rode a little last year and am looking for a bike of my own. I will be riding easier trails...not lots of obstables, hills etc. I am looking to spend no more than $2500. I have visited local shops and haven't found anything that I am to crazy about. I would prefer to buy new. Any suggestions?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm pretty sure I answered your questions in another forum too, but here's some more. $2500 is a lot of money to spend on your first bike, you might want to spend less and keep some extra $ around for good gear (i.e. a good helmet, riding shorts, hydration pak, gloves, sunglasses, jersey, socks, etc. - all of that stuff really does add up and makes a huge different in how comfortable you are on a ride).
If you're looking for a solid bike, that isn't too expensive, I would look at Kona or Ironhorse. They both make good bikes with good components and offer quite a wide variety. Then, after you ride for a while you'll need to upgrade parts and that's where the extra cash you saved will come into play. If you're not planning on riding a lot of really technical trails with obstacle, you might want to look at a hardtail (no rear shock only front suspension), but again it's all personal preference in what feels good/right when you ride it. Definitely try to ride as many different bikes as you can as personal feel is really important for a good fit. Good luck.

Screamer

Chimp
Jun 11, 2008
If you're still looking...the best thing to do (like TreeSaw said) is to demo a bunch of bikes.
I think we all have our personal favorites but it's best you take a ride or two.
I currently ride a Giant Trance X2 and love it.
But if I would have had $2500 I would have gone for the Trance X1.
It also depends on what style of riding you plan to do.

DHking177

Chimp
Jun 19, 2008
The santa cruz heckler is 2,363 and it is a nice bike for not to technical trails and are you a downhill rider cross country rider what because it is kinda a downhill bike

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Not sure where you are, but send me a PM or email if you're around the Pacific Northwest. That said, Brodie Bikes are well made and they've got a solid line up again this year. You'll find a bike for any season on their website. Check out the Brodie Derelict for a sweet all around ride. Brodie has a US Distributor in Arizona.

Kona has a few new bikes this year, they are another good choice. If you're looking for a well built bike you can ride on most trails, the Kona Bass is a good choice. The Bass makes a great trail bike and lots of racers are giving it good reviews.

Where you live makes a difference. For example, if you're in Oregon, you could contact Kurt Vorhees and ask to demo some bikes, he's got a nice line up of Santa Cruz bikes.

For custom bikes, Turner and Ventana are top of the line; both will work with you demos too. Ventana has a demo program to where they'll send you a bike to test and apply the cost to the purchase if you decide to buy.

Season closeouts are a good way to go too; you'll find super deals if you work with a local shop that's willing to help you out.

Another idea to keep in mind is to check out Diablo Bike Parks end of season sale on their rental bikes; you're pretty much guaranteed to find a sweet bike at a great price if you're one of the first in line.

good luck

turtle